1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is there value in buying links for 1 month?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by qwestcommunications, Feb 26, 2006.

I ask this because search engines might not properly index the page the link is on in that month. Some say it takes up to 2/3 months for a link to be fully indexed and the benefit to be realised.

Also, what happens when the month is up and the link is removed (if you don't repurchase). Does the associated benefit (for ranking purposes) also diminish?
    SEMrush

qwestcommunications, Feb 26, 2006 IP
    Jat likes this.
    SEMrush
  2. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'd suggest at minimum you allow 3 months. It is possible that new links may not be found for a month or more depending on how often the page is crawled. Depending when the link was added and indexed, it may not be included in the data used when calculating your PR for Google's foolbar.

You may or may not see diminished results if a link is dropped - it can depend on the quality of the link. If it's a quality link and utilized your primary kw(s) for anchor text and you have few other supporting links - you might notice a significant drop. If the link was url only (without a kw domain name) you might not notice any difference in the SERPs.

Your mileage will vary with the individual SE's.

CReed, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  3. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    yes if you are buying for advertising purposes, if your buying for pr then your gonna get stuck because u can buy it for 1 month or 1 year but as soon as u stop buying it ur pr drops down again.

just-4-teens, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  4. cycloneuk

cycloneuk Guest

Best Answers:
    There's no point buying a link for 1 month if your buying it purely for seo purposes.

cycloneuk, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  5. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you can purchase links for one year.
    The month to month is mostly too expensive and too hard to keep track of.
    Best placement for a purchased link is on the main page of the site you are purchasing links from.
    Buying interior links will work only if the interior page is a well visited page and is relevant to your link.

I have several packages of permanent links you can purchase.
    Links for each are on the main pages of the sites.
    http://www.tebids.com/links.htm

More packages will be added over time on that page.

Hope this helps you in your decision to purchase links.

iowadawg, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  6. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a few rules for buying links (which I rarely do):

1. Only buy PR6+ links.
    2. Only buy in terms of 3 months or more.
    3. Only buy from quality websites.

and most importantly...

4. Do not expect much.

I have bought a PR8 link that did absolutely nothing in terms of seo.

Good luck.

miles, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  7. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    Could be usefull to get a new site listed quicker in the SE's. Presuming it is about a PR6 site. You will get crawled pretty quickly.

But there are other ways to do this just as easily.

Brad

Brad Callen, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  8. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Will the poistive impact on search rankings remain when the month is up and the link is removed? What I am trying to say is whether the influence of the high PR link be long term or only for as long as the link remains.

qwestcommunications, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  9. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Think of it this way:

I found something about you "worth mentioning" and told my friends and business associates about it . I did that for one month .
    Then I found that it's "not as worthwhile" as I thought it was and "stopped" talking about it

Do you want my business associates to still continue believing what I said earlier and "continue" business with you or "shift" to someone whom I now patronise whole heartedly?

Same is true for links ...

regards
    jeet

JEET, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  10. SEOinAZ

SEOinAZ Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's important to know that the older a link is, the more weight it will carry as a "vote" for your website. So, if you are buying links for seo purposes, you are much better off looking for people that will charge you a one time fee to have your link placed forever.

That way you don't have to keep paying for a link (which I think for the most part is a waste of money) and the link will be guaranteed to be there forever. Thus over time it will be a stronger link for you.

SEOinAZ, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  11. onedollar

onedollar SEO Consultant for Hire

Best Answers:
    If you are buying just for the pr, go for a longer period, say a year.
    I don't think one month links would help much unless you are testing the value of link.

onedollar, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  12. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    if i buy links i make sure they are permanent links. i think you can get a PR6 for $20. not sure though. :)

devin, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  13. romance

romance Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i purchased a pr7 link for one month, to get a site indexed. after about 6 days, the site was fully indexed (43K pages). i didnt notice any loss in visitors when i removed the link, although i did get a PR6 on the recent update, which i believe was due to the PR7 link.

romance, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  14. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the case study romance.

That is what I am talking about, the ability to get your site completely indexed in a very short time.

No the value will not be there when you remove the link. And as far as PR value goes, the longer you keep the link, the more it is worth to your site.

Brad

Brad Callen, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  15. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would agree with what most of the people here have said: Buy for a shorter period if you are advertising and are just doing this to get some quality traffic to your site (or to get your site indexed quickly). But, if you are only buying links for PR purposes, then a longer period will be needed. There is some speculation that PR is only updated once in 3 months. If this is true, then to get PR benefit from the link you might need to be linked from the site for over 3 months ..... a few days until your link is indexed and up to another 3 months for PR to upate. So, I would suggest advertising for 1 yr if you can. And, if you are getting some good traffic from there as well, just renew at the end of the 1 yr. :)

Someone here mentioned that they bought a PR8 and didn't see any effect. There are lots of people out there who take advantage of tha fact that the updates are only done once in a few months. Ex: You can get a PR7 link for a while and as soon as your site shows a PR6, you could end the PR7 link subscription but continue selling links for a few months until your toolbar shows a PR6. :mad:

Here are a few tips for checking the sites before you advertise on them (for whatever reason you might be advertising):
    1. Run a "site:www.domain.com" to see how many pages are cached in Google.
    2. Check the cache for the page that your link will appear on to see when the page was last cached and check the cache to see that Google can see the page. Sometimes, frames conflict with Google's vision! :D
    3. Run a "link:www.domain.com" on the site in both Google and Alltheweb.com. Alltheweb.com updates BLs all the time and will give you a true indication of the links to the site. Go to the top few results to see "why" the site has the PR it has.

If the site you check has 2 pages cached in Google, the last cache was over 2 months old, no BLs in Google and 3 BLs in Alltheweb.com ...... run like the wind! If on the other hand, the site has a PR7 with "your link page" cached recently, heaps of BLs then go ahead and purchase the advertising.

Here's one example. I found this guy on eBay selling a PR7 link while I was looking for something else. Ran a "site:www.hagglefor.com" command for his site and his site's not been cached since July last year! :eek: What's worse? The cache for the home page is empty! Now, I am no expert but if Google can't see the page your link is on ..... it can't see your link ..... if it can't see your link ....... You do the math!

Regards,
    dfsweb

dfsweb, Mar 1, 2006 IP