1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is there a way NOT to disclose my real name and family name ?

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by sabin, Feb 24, 2012.

Hello everyone,

Let's say I add a credit card processor option to a website selling digital files (not adult, not illegal, okay ;) ), like Paypal or Alertpay, for instance.

Please, is there a way for me to avoid displaying my actual name and family name to the people purchasing the stuff I'm offering ?

I don't know, displaying a screen name, something like that ?

I don't ask for anonimity, I'm perfectly fine with giving the credit card processor my full private identify with solid proof (I'm a verified Paypal member, they have a copy of my bank account's paper, for instance), I ask for privacy, if you see the nuance.

Honestly, I HATE the idea that everyone is going to see my real name. The internet is vast and not only composed of mentally healthy persons, and any leaked private info is never really forgotten by the network : I don't want to go and spread my name to every buyer, if they have a problem they just have to contact paypal/whoever who'll contact me.

Thanks if you can tell me if it's possible to do that with the credit card processors, it's the one last thing preventing me from setting up my online shop :)
    Greetings,
    Sabin

sabin, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  2. GoogleSky

GoogleSky Peon

Best Answers:
    I have experience with Alertpay, if you sign up for a business account (you can also upgrade), they will allow you to use your cooperation name. So when the customer is directed to the check page, they will see the cooperation / business name instead of your own name. I don't know if this is how it works with PayPal but I am pretty sure you can get the same thing done there.

GoogleSky, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  3. vididong.com

vididong.com Member

Best Answers:
    buyer will not believe if they could not see even your name

vididong.com, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  4. amcg

amcg Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know about other card processors but with things like PayPal it will only show the buyer your Business Name.
    There is no need for other card processors to show buyers your name, they won't be bothered about your name as long as they have an email address to contact for support.

amcg, Feb 25, 2012 IP
  5. sabin

sabin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies, guys ! I mean it, I'm grateful :)

I double-checked, my paypal account is in fact a Premier account.
    In that case, would it be enough to NOT display my real name to people paying by credit card ?

I searched a bit the documentation, but it wasn't very clear.
    There's this page, and that other one, but it wasn't very specific about the precise point that is worrying me, the privacy.

I saw an option in my paypal settings (add /webapps/customerprofile/summary.view after paypal.com once you're logged into your account), I translate it freely since I'm not using the English version of paypal, that option is to "define the company name as it will appear on the bank statement of my customers", it's an 8-letters string.
    Would it be that, that which would be shown to the customers when they pay ?

Or is it something different, really only available for business accounts, and not premier accounts ?

(Sorry if I may look thick or oblivious, guys, I really want to be 100% sure ! And thank you very much once again if you can help clarifying this situation :) )

sabin, Feb 25, 2012 IP
  6. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    For paypal you need to upgrade to a business account. There are setting under profile that control what information is shown to the buyer.

You're not supposed to be selling on a personal or premier account, so a business account would make sense anyway. The 8 letter string is what is shown on a customer's bank statement. They still see additional information on their email receipt and in their actual paypal account.

jestep, Feb 27, 2012 IP
  7. sabin

sabin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All right, thanks for the confirmation :)

sabin, Feb 27, 2012 IP