1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is there a simple to learn CMS ?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by kutchbhi, May 1, 2015.

My problem: I can't seem to be able to get a hang on any PHP CMS

Basically everytime I try to code a site in an existing CMS I find out that I spend 99% time trying to google out how the CMS works, how a particular thing is done and less time coding. I end up not using any CMS at all and just code my site in Core php .

To give a solid example:
    On my vanilla PHP site I'll use a just-works router (say toroweb) , now I know exactly where the classes are, where they are being called, what I have to do to add another page etc
    But it seems with a CMS I am just googling trying to find out how each and every thing is designed.

Now I have an idea for a site that whose development I think will really be speeded up if an exisiting CMS is used, instead of trying to implement every goddamn feature myself.

I feel I am doing something wrong in the way I try to learn a CMS. or maybe I am just not using the right CMS.

Can anyone relate? Any tips / suggestions to offer ? Is there any simple CMS that feels 'natural' to learn ? Sorry if this question is vague.

kutchbhi, May 1, 2015 IP
  2. Anveto

Anveto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is pretty nice and with my IDE, PHPStorm, I can get extra hints for different functions as I code. If I need to see how a function is coded I can simply click on it and it will show me the code.

Anveto, May 1, 2015 IP
  3. _bastian

_bastian Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I was recently shown October CMS by one of my teachers who is considering teaching it to the senior students

I found it pretty easy understand after looking at the intro video:

_bastian, May 11, 2015 IP