1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is the word "app" copyrighted?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by marht, Oct 3, 2013.

I recently want to change my current company name.

I want my company name to contain the word "App" or "Apps" in it.
    For example you change the company name to: "YoboduApps".

Would this violate any copyrights or trademarks? And if, should I care?

marht, Oct 3, 2013 IP
  2. OlegLola

OlegLola Active Member

Best Answers:
    I saw a lot of companies and services which contain "app" in the name. Doubt that they violated some copyrights. Nowadays this word is of general use. That's my opinion.

OlegLola, Oct 4, 2013 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The term "app" was listed as "word of the year" by the American Dialect Society in 2010. So being thus recognized and in common usage as it is, there would be nothing to be concerned about in my view.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 4, 2013 IP
    tickedon and ryan_uk like this.
  4. Northstar127

Northstar127 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Apple tried to sue amazon over the term "app" that amazon was using for their app store. They said people would get confused between their app store and amazons. The courts told apple to drop the case because it is so common nowadays.

Northstar127, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  5. UPandDOWN

UPandDOWN Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No, App or Apps is stand for Application. It's general word, so feel free to use it.
    So many word app/apps in the domain market and some good name already sold without problem.

UPandDOWN, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  6. iwantvarun

iwantvarun Active Member

Best Answers:
    No i dont think so.. Even you are using app your company name is still unique.No one can copyright such common words.

iwantvarun, Oct 8, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  7. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    At least, not for their common meaning. There are lots of real-world examples of common words (i.e. apple, shell, tide) used as trademarks (not copyright).

Dave Zan, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  8. cristina.emerson

cristina.emerson Member

Best Answers:
    Yes ,
    You can use APP or APPS , there is no copyright on these.

cristina.emerson, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  9. cossio

cossio Member

Best Answers:
    One can not claim copyright protection for generic words and "app" is a generic word.

cossio, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  10. Giuseppe Marziano

Giuseppe Marziano Member

Best Answers:
    No its just a word to describe a type of software

Giuseppe Marziano, Oct 16, 2013 IP
  11. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Although some things some folks here said are partly right, let's try to make things clear and simple.

One indeed cannot copyright words, but one can trademark them in a limited way. Copyright applies to material works like films, books, and (yes) software, while trademark applies to words, phrases, and (yes) personal names.

By limited way, one cannot trademark a word in its generic or common context. So one can't trademark apple for the fruit, shell for the mollusk, head and shoulders for a person who's considered above the rest, etc.

However, one can trademark a word or so in a distinctive way. There's apple for electronics, shell for petroleum, head and shoulders for shampoo, etc.

So in this thread, it's correct that one can't trademark the word "app" for software, a script, or a software application. However, one can do that if the word app is used in a different context like maybe selling widgets or offering a painting service.

Before the next person possibly posts here, please read the thread in its entirety - or at least this most recent post - before clicking that Post Reply button. While it's great that some people want to help, posting something that isn't completely and factually accurate won't help anyone.

Dave Zan, Oct 16, 2013 IP
  12. filegrasper

filegrasper Active Member

Best Answers:
    the word "app" is a non-difference word...its not copyrighted word...it just doesnt make difference between names. in example...if you wanna make a pattern on a name...company...or whatever...you cant name your pattern "name chosen" app if "name chosen" already exists....because the name app doesnt make the difference. got it?

filegrasper, Oct 19, 2013 IP
  13. Emberrx

Emberrx Member

Best Answers:
    App can be used like the words "entertainment" , "studios", or "games" can be used it is freely available :)

Emberrx, Oct 19, 2013 IP