1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is the Amazon affiliate program worth it?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by gary99, Nov 28, 2005.

Is the Amazon affiliate program worth it?

Here's my thinking. Over the last 7 days, I've had 22 clicks on Amazon product affiliate links. During that period I've had 0 conversions. So those are 22 worthless clicks that might have gone to Chitika or AdSense ads had I not had Amazon links on my pages.

On the other hand, if someone buys an iPod, I suddenly make $10-$20. That's quite a few Chitika/AdSense clicks (I of course won't say how many).

So what do you think, is it worth it to divert clicks from your other programs? What sort of conversion rates do you get from your Amazon affiliate marketing? Any secrets to getting conversions?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
    Gary

gary99, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  2. TiGG

TiGG Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally have not seen great income from amazon compared to other programs. Now with chitika it would take a special case for me to consider amazon over others.

TiGG, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  3. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    I have a amazon webshop running for quite some time now, at first didn't see much conversion, but at the moment it's going okay. I'm not promoting it, it's just from organic search. Conversion about 3.32%

WhatiFind, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  4. debare

debare Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can take advantage of Amazon's "enhanced display" and "keyword" links to display the most relevant ads to your visitors, you have a fighting chance to make their affiliate program modestly successful. However, since Amazon created "associate" marketing way back when, their payouts and terms have never been particularly competitive. You should create three test pages for Amazon, AdSense and Chikita to see which pays better over a month or two. Typically, I use Amazon as a merchant of last resort, when I have trouble finding any other relevant products from other merchants.

debare, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  5. gary99

gary99 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah I was impressed by the whole product enhanced preview thing. That's what got me started on it on my tech blog.

I just ripped it all out, though. Doesn't seem worth it to me right now. Maybe I'll try again later.

Thanks for the input.

gary99, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  6. rickp23

rickp23 Peon

Best Answers:
    probably not worth it if you are going to get 22 clicks per week, Adsense or Chitika would proably pay you more consistently, unless your clicks are all on iPods and like items. My conversion rate is about 2-3% average on Amazon.

rickp23, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  7. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    My conversion rate is around 9%, averaging about $250.00 per quarter.

Cyclops, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  8. gary99

gary99 Guest

Best Answers:
    I imagine conversion rate varies greatly by product. If I'm linking to a $12 book, I'm probably going to get a better conversion rate than by linking to a $500 digital camera.

Still, even if you get a 1% conversion rate, at the bottom Amazon tier you'd make $25 off of the camera. Let's see, 1% means it takes 100 clicks to generate a sale, though, so each click would be worth $0.25. Hmm, maybe I'll stick with Chitika until I have some real traffic so I can gather some better data.

Thanks for all the input.

Cheers,
    Gary

gary99, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  9. Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it really depends on what type of site you have. It sounds like your site is content-based with the goal being to earn on click-through's (through contextual advertising).

The website where I use Amazon links is completely product based, and features 3-4 major programs. I use Amazon to supplement a bit throughout the site -- its not one of my primary programs on this particular site.

Anyway, I use "adsense-like" ad blocks from Amazon in the navigation column on some of the pages... and actually 'full feature' products from Amazon on other pages. I am doing fairly well with Amazon on this site - approx $500/quarter (and growing -- its a newer site).

What I like about Amazon is that they have that "brand name" online. People trust them - they've been around forever, and they are one of those few major online retailers that people have grown to trust (when it comes to whipping out a credit card).

They may pay less... but I think they tend to convert well on that factor alone. Just my experience & opinion combined, for what it's worth ;)

Lynn Terry, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  10. tanoanian

tanoanian Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would say no. The whole quarterly payment thing is a big turn off for me. Personally I think Buy.com has a better program with monthly payments, incentives and bonuses.

tanoanian, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  11. randymorin

randymorin Peon

Best Answers:
    I've heard people say they can make $100s/quarter, which likely means upto $100/month. I've tried it myself and was not able to make more than a few $ per day. The same Website with AdSense/Chitika makes $1000/day. So, I would say

randymorin, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  12. gary99

gary99 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah I'm beginning to feel that unless you find a real gold mine of an affiliate program (which I haven't yet), CPC is the way to go with a content site. Maybe one day soon if I get bored I'll try the Amazon store thing.

gary99, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I've made more with Cafe Press in the last 6 months than I made with Amazon in 5-6 years? Or however long I have been an affiliate. I've not seen much out of Amazon that was worth while in terms of payout/incentives.

Mia, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  14. gary99

gary99 Guest

Best Answers:
    Were they more generous in that past? I'm just trying to figure out how they have 10 million associates (or whatever the number is), if so few seem to be making any money.

Or maybe we're all just doing it wrong, and the people who do it right aren't going to share (can't say I really blame them). :)

gary99, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Because people sign up, and forget about it. Some push the program, others do not. Sure, they have 10 million associates, but how many are "active" members? I mean look at forums (DP is no exception), there may be thousands of members, but how many are actually active?

Mia, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  16. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    I always add an Amazon bookshop to my sites then forget about it, if it makes some money then that's great. I don't spend any time working or promoting it. I have about 16 sites with Amazon on them.

I tend to average around $300.00 a quarter from them although this quarter it looks like it will be half that......it tends to fluctuate a lot.

Cyclops, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  17. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    The most I've ever made from Amazon was about $125 in one quarter. Usually it's around $50. But my sites are not geared toward big ticket items, so I generally only make anywhere from .50 cents per sale to 1.50. Then again, since I only use their search box, and a simple text line linking to a particular product (I use their search linking), it's a second of work each time I put up another page, so, you know, rather you earn enough off them to justify the work you put into it depends on you personally. 1-second of work, totalling up to about 10 minutes (or so) for the whole quarter, for $50/quarter return is not an entirely bad deal for me. :)

jackburton2006, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  18. remington`

remington` Guest

Best Answers:
    Anyone ever had any experience selling personal care items through them? Im about to open up a site to sell toothbrushes, and other dental items. Amazon is attractive to me because of the shopping cart on site thing

remington`, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  19. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Amazon is hard to make money from. When I do make money, they don't pay me much. Affiliate programs in general are difficult. I think you would to better with Adsense or something like that.

tesla, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  20. Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    It really all depends on what kind of site you have, in my opinion.

Amazon pays more for direct linking than they do for recommended products links or search box links. You can make up to 8 1/2 percent per sale, I think.

If you have a product-based website, most of those affiliate programs only pay 5-15% anyway... so in that respect, Amazon IS competitive as an affiliate program.

I opened a discussion on my own forum and was sharing my experiences here if you want to take a peek at that:

Tips for making sales with Amazon

:)

Lynn Terry, Dec 17, 2005 IP