1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is submitting to the directories worth the time or is forums better

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Aaron111, Oct 14, 2008.

1. cnvseo

cnvseo Guest

Best Answers:
    I am using both. But i am not submitting link into paid directories. As if you are not getting PR benefits from directories than also you can get benefit of anchor texts. So avoid paid directories. Forum posting is good, keep continue.

cnvseo, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

if you are talking about your avatar-(URL) e-stonia.co.uk
    then see also
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://e-stonia.co.uk/

... you may be miles away from getting into DMOZ as
    e-stonia.co.uk
    has no content, no linked content pages at all
    just your tiny temporary start page under construction.
    in addition you have major(fatal) code errors.

normally to get into DMOZ you need quality PLUS content plus lots of luck as the project seem more dead than alive in recent years.

never submit a SITE under construction to any directory, always submit finish sites with massive content apparently useful in the eyes of editors

hans, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  3. gmbidols

gmbidols Guest

Best Answers:
    I think both are important for key ranking

gmbidols, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  4. Aaron111

Aaron111 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    paid search is money money in there bank .... although submitting links into paid directories can prove to be worth....my coffee site gets lots of traffic from them Use the High per paid directories my recommends...... lol

Aaron111, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  5. e-stonia

e-stonia Active Member

Best Answers:
    :D Nono - I haven't submitted e-Stonia.co.uk anywhere - there's nothing at the moment and I read all DMOZ rules through and understand very well that site has to be alive, relevant and have quality content. I have the address in avatar as it's has been taken off just for a while until new content is agreed with new shareholders. Anyway....

I was submitting on24direct.com with relevant content for selling electric toothbrushes and is quite alive - around 5000 AdWords visitors per month & about 300 G organic traffic. No broken links, no under construction pages. All seems working.

PR is zero but probably because it's just one year old domain. Also, it's using funny frooition.com e-shop platform which doesn't allow to search engine optimize the code more that just front page's META tags. I have to convince others to start using own e-shop script for example Magento or Virtuemart + Joomla (Magento seems bit slow).

e-stonia, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  6. e-stonia

e-stonia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, Aaron11! From which High paid directories you get lot of traffic?

e-stonia, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  7. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Ranking high by doing only directory submissions is impossible even for not so competitive keywords.
    It seems like Yahoo and Live doesn't care about links from directories either. At least that's my personal experience.
    Submit to DMOZ and Yahoo Directory and skip the rest.

zexy, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  8. saleelm03

saleelm03 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    forum posting is an ultimate way of gaining backlinks and eventually will get a good PR. Dir. submission doesn't do this much effect. blog commenting is another best way

saleelm03, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  9. Aaron111

Best Answers:
    everyone knows DMOZ is original....there is no guarantees they will ever list you in there data base...it takes 6 months up to one year to get listed there the waiting list is about one year long......keep trying every six months good luck......better to write niche contents....more worth the quality time.... waiting around for hopes and dreams of being listed there??/ it is a long wait...... lol ;)

10. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Aaron111, if your site is not a complete crap and you know the right people then you will be listed in less than 24 hours.
    People do anything for a little extra cash ;)

zexy, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  11. Aaron111

Best Answers:
    I hope my site isnt crap zexy for your implementation c alls for an exact explanation.......DMOZ is really hard to get in

12. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I edited there from 99 to early 08... and I gather zex is suggesting a bribe to get in, which is unfortunately a guaranteed way to get banned if detected. Just offering to pay one in a public forum will eliminate the chance of a listing. That's a route best avoided.

Zex is correct that it is easier to get in if you happen to know an editor, but that's not as ominous as it sounds... just a matter of being able to get somebody's attention to a specific category. The directory has more breadth and depth than it has editors to cover it, and there are many sites languishing in submission queues.

Frequently what you see attributed to corruption is more likely evidence of mack of manpower. Best bet is just to submit the site to the appropriate category with a compliany title and descrip and then move on to other forms of promotion. Only other route is to try becoming an editor there yourself, but unless you're doing it because you want to edit that is Waaay too time consuming a method just to get a link.

robjones, Oct 22, 2008 IP