1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

is start up experience needed?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Fidan, Jan 21, 2016.

Hello,
    I have a question to those who transitioned to entrepreneurship after a corporate career.

I have an established career with traditional marketing; focusing on product development, distribution, pricing, fixing problems with channels, research etc.
    However, given that the most companies I worked at were big and have specialized teams for all aspects of marketing support, I always missed out of what is going on with digital marketing. Our role included giving guidance and objectives to digital team, and they drafted ideas, executed, ensured CRM and measured metrics.
    I am at the point when I no more utilize all of my potential (dead end), and I have many ideas for new mobile product.
    However, I'm worried that since I dont have digital/online/mobile marketing experience, and I'm not so familiar with social media tactics, or programmatic, I will suffer if I start a business now, not knowing how to efficiently promote it within the digital world.
    Would you recommend getting a start up experience first, and learning the dynamics and promotional tactics?
    Or would you say- focus on your product design and learn on the go?
    I would appreciate all opinions, especially if you could share your own experience.

Fidan, Jan 21, 2016 IP
  2. Engineer2Blogger

Engineer2Blogger Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Fidan,

I quit work with 0 business experience about 3 years ago. I learnt everything on the go. At the start it was pretty difficult sifting through all my business ideas but as you keep going you start to learn better and better business practices. Your ideas start to bring you closer and closer to becoming a more successful business.

The only prerequesite I think anyone needs before quitting corporate and entering entrepreneurship is some savings. Decent savings, enough to keep you going for 6 months to a year without worrying about things. The last thing you want to do is go back to work becuase you ran out of money.

There's no wrong or right answer at the end of the day. Jumping into business is the best way to learn. You will never feel 100% ready before quitting work, there will always be a part of you that's too scared.

It's about just taking that risk, believing in your self and working your butt off!

Engineer2Blogger, Jan 21, 2016 IP
  3. R. Martin

R. Martin Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd start creating the product and learning about digital marketing while then. The most important part about marketing is what you currently know. The digital side has many tricks and techniques, but relies on the basic principles of the traditional marketing.

R. Martin, Feb 1, 2016 IP
  4. YieldOptimization

YieldOptimization Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What city do you live in? I spent the last 6+ years working for an Ad Tech startup in SF / NYC. I learned so much about business/digital/RTB/Programmatic during that time.

YieldOptimization, Feb 3, 2016 IP
  5. kb24

kb24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No you don't need start up expierence. If you are just starting out I would look for a mentor that will show you step by step how to make money online.. It will cut down on your learning curve..

kb24, Feb 3, 2016 IP
  6. TeddNall

TeddNall Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Fidan,
    Like people say you don't need start up experience but you need some savings like Engineer2Blogger said. And believe me Internet Marketing its not cheap this days. The main problem is because when you start business you are new and you play against big players. Also you need time for SEO and other things. On other side you cant wait because your idea can also be idea of somebody else.

The best thing is to hire some IM agency to work for you and get some percents of your business in next for example 5 years. In the same time you will need to build your own resources. So having one man to be trained by that agency is quite good tactic. And after 1-1.5 you will have both your resources and you will have outsourcing company.

Of course if you have a lot of money don't give them % stay on fixed rate.

Hope i helped.

Cheers.

TeddNall, Feb 4, 2016 IP