1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Spinning Articles legal?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Zechin, Aug 26, 2011.

It seems like spinning articles get views and etc but what I'm really curious about is it legal? As you may all know usually in WWW there is little citation done. And authors are given little credit. Would that make it illegal? What if there was a link back to original copy? Would it make it legal?

Zechin, Aug 26, 2011 IP
  2. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Why would someone want a link from a spammy spun article back to their original article? By giving the link back with attribution you are basically admitting you took their article for the source of your spun article.

For your purposes you can assume all spun articles are violating the copyright of the original article. It is of course possible for it to transform into something totally and unique and new, but you have no way to be assured of that just by spinning someone else's article.

browntwn, Aug 26, 2011 IP
  3. Zechin

Zechin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    True but what I'm saying in general is, can they sue us for it? Take it to court and etc.

Zechin, Aug 26, 2011 IP
  4. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Of course.

5. Zechin

Zechin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I see but what will dictate it from being determined as spun or not? some as we know switches words and paragraphs with synonymy and etc. Is their any good catchers on that subject?

Zechin, Aug 26, 2011 IP
  6. browntwn

Best Answers:
    1. You asked if you copy someone's article and spin in can they sue you. - answer yes
    2. You asked if you add an attribution link would it help - no, they can still sue you and you have in fact given them evidence of your theft
    3. Now you ask how they will know you copied and spun their article. It of course depends who you steal from and what you do with it. Maybe they find it, maybe they don't. Maybe they sue you, maybe they don't.

7. Zechin

Zechin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hm...what if it was cited MLA format also you've entered regonition the content is not yours but of others, for blah blah blah purpose in the the terms and policy and you hold no ownership over the given content.

Zechin, Aug 26, 2011 IP
  8. browntwn

Best Answers:
    I have no idea what your are talking about "MLA format", but you can't disclaim copyright infringement with some language.

Either you have a right to use the material or you don't.

You have been asking a legal question in the legal section. To those questions, spinning someone else's article is likely copyright infringement. Tons of people use spun articles and are never caught, just as people speed and are never caught. You need to decide what you are willing to risk, but in answer to the question you keep asking, no it is not legal and there is no trick to get around that.

As an aside, spun articles work fine for search engines, cause the are just reading words, but to human readers they invariably read like crap.

9. Exarter

Exarter Peon

Best Answers:
    Legal only if content is Public Label Rights.

Exarter, Aug 26, 2011 IP
  10. nallen

nallen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Article spinning isn't likely, it's always copyright infringement. It's totally illegal in the USA and you're breaking the law whether you cite the source or not. Don't even bother. Instead, take 3-4 articles treating the same subject, get ideas and inspiration from all of them, then write your own truly unique article. Of course, this takes time but it's really worth it.

nallen, Aug 27, 2011 IP
  11. browntwn

Best Answers:
    There is no law against spinning that I am aware of, so the only thing that would make it illegal is if the resulting text was infringing. It would be totally dependent on what the resulting text looked like.

browntwn, Aug 27, 2011 IP
  12. nallen

nallen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    browntwn, you're right, the process as such isn't illegal, it's the outcome that is.

nallen, Aug 27, 2011 IP
  13. Zechin

Zechin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ah I see, thanks guys =). I believe that answers my question thank you everyone =). About the laws is there a specific web page that states the United States of America law.

Zechin, Aug 27, 2011 IP
  14. nallen

nallen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Zechin, instead of trying to figure out the answers to your legal questions yourself, you should seek the advice of an experienced lawyer. Been there, done that. Trust me, that's the only way to get a peremptory answer.

-Filip

nallen, Aug 27, 2011 IP
  15. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Some of us answering questions on this forum are lawyers. :)

browntwn, Aug 27, 2011 IP
  16. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    Nonsense. I can spin articles I've written myself, I can spin articles I've commissioned and own, I can spin PLR articles, I can spin stuff out of copyright etc etc etc.

Of course it's legal.

And btw nallen, you're just described how to plagiarise several articles at once. Creating derivative works without permission IS illegal most places.

contentboss, Aug 28, 2011 IP
  17. nallen

nallen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Please keep this discussion cordial.

Good for you!

I was talking about literary work based on fact, such as product and general news articles, which were what Zechin was talking about I suppose. As for literary work based on imagination, such as novels, my advice was obviously not correct.

-Filip

nallen, Aug 28, 2011 IP
  18. karlo.dude

karlo.dude Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No. It's an act of plagiarism. Be careful.

karlo.dude, Aug 30, 2011 IP
  19. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    or else?

Ah. Sarcasm. How 'cordial'.

Then perhaps you should have made that clear, rather than making blanket assertions which are factually incorrect.

And FYI, novels are also protected by copyright. Or perhaps you'd like to try and republish JK Rowling's latest book under your own name. Let us know what happens

contentboss, Aug 30, 2011 IP
  20. nallen

nallen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Do you even read my replies? I've never said the opposite.

nallen, Aug 30, 2011 IP