1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Ruby on Rails most cost effective language ?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Webfugitive, Jul 30, 2008.

I'm looking to build a website and I know relatively nothing about the different languages. After reading multiple articles that had little to do with budget and cost I came across this one for ruby on rails.

Is this accurate ?
    http://rorblog.techcfl.com/2008/07/30/can-rails-affect-your-business-bottom-line/

Can anyone tell me more about Ruby on Rails than this post ? I would like to hear some educated voices on the topic. The benefits, etc. ?

Webfugitive, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  2. andrewgjohnson

andrewgjohnson Active Member

Best Answers:
    PHP is the cheapest. Also free to use and more programmers know it meaning the price of labor is lower as well.

andrewgjohnson, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  3. Arkserver

Arkserver Banned

Best Answers:
    Ive worked with ruby on rails for a short time and although their concept is great i think php is better for those that are new into programming. I for one don't do any webdevelopment (i know c/c but primarily java) so i'm not sure what others think about this.

Arkserver, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  4. Social.Network

Social.Network Member

Best Answers:
    ADS specializes in RoR solutions, so expect the article to be skewed towards RoR. I quickly lost interest after reading some of the bottom line comments. The comments are skewed and inaccurate. Example, implementation times and future services. The author states that deployment of a RoR application is next to nothing. I can build and promote an enterprise-level .NET application and web service in less than 30 minutes too. I love his point about it being easier to add functionality to a RoR application. Compared to what? I can easily extend, maintain, and support applications in PHP, .NET, or other languages. It is not a benefit unique to RoR. Instead, industry standard software designs, coding standards, processes, etc. promote extensibility.

Social.Network, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  5. perlbone

perlbone Peon

Best Answers:
    RoR is a cost-effective framework just because it offers a set of typical solutions on top of the application server. Other side of the feast is the absence of any scalability.. for example, if you've optimized something for an enterprise web service but forgot to add a bridge to support mobile clients, and then got a need to install it all between two service - all your design is guaranteed to get garbage, and you're not able to change the code quickly.
    Referring to the efficiency, it's inversely proportional to framework size. And, because even this speech took a good time from you, you can imagine how much mindloving this thing does while you're working at it.

arkserver: if you've been asked to write a daemon to process 5,000 clients while forking like crazy (to keep scalability on 50K+) and having another shared data model, and been informed that it will take 2 servers behind web server itself, and you had a knowledge of C,C++,Ruby,Python and Perl, which one will become your choice?

OP: if you can start with Ruby, you should start with Ruby. It will suit your needs :)

perlbone, Aug 1, 2008 IP