1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is responsive design compulsary for the websites in this mobile era?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Neeraj Chaurasia, Mar 31, 2015.

1. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    All very interesting but Google has stop wasting my bandwidth by sending mobile users, and my traffic is up a bit even with the removal of the unwanted mobile users, and there is even a small bonus in a slightly improved bounce rate. So, considering the objective of the site is to provide usable information to web developers; it is all working out quite nicely, and I can continue to run experiments on the site so I have data to dictate direction, not opinions on what users need or want; and actual test results to anticipate Google instead of guessing how to keep pages on page one of the SERPs.

COBOLdinosaur, Apr 27, 2015 IP
  2. Blesta.Store

Blesta.Store Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should want mobile visitors, out of four visitors at one time to my website, three of them where using a mobile phone.
    [​IMG]

Now if you was a bigger site with a lot think of how much visitors / customers you would be loosing out on?

Blesta.Store, Apr 27, 2015 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Just to clarify - he's not INTERESTED in mobile users, since what he offers (advice) isn't really usable on a small screen (coding is NOT done much on mobile or tablets (although the latter CAN work if you have a proper keyboard)). So no, he's not losing out on anything.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 28, 2015 IP
  4. ashokdhan

ashokdhan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles:
    Mobile app is not just solution. you need to work on website to make responsive, My personal experience i am not going to install every app.
    for example if i am searching for "Milk seller in my city" so why i install app. for me simply search in google.
    So my idea if you are making app for your website then drop conversion and CTR as well. if you are making app and responsive website then it will boom for you.

ashokdhan, Apr 28, 2015 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    qwikad.com, Apr 28, 2015 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with that is small screen is MORE than just mobile -- it's not even useful at the ~1200 or so left over on my 1920 wide laptop screen after portrait tabs and portrait taskbar, much less my MSI Wind or Surface.... and surface is now semi-viable as a laptop replacement.

But even setting what we are CALLING mobile aside, it's not accessible with it's broken/nonexistent semantics, zero graceful degradation and general ignorance of what HTML is or how to use it properly! If anything that ALONE destroys any credibility it has as a source of good code before you even look at the content.

You have to remember, the only thing we can say for certain about who will visit a website is you cannot say who will visit a website, so alienating users by basically ignoring the structural rules of HTML, semantic meanings of HTML tags, accessibility like keyboard navigation, different screen sizes and resolutions, screen readers, search engines and a whole host of other things is just begging for epic fail.

Which is why saying "mobile isn't my target audience" just comes across as another lame excuse for not bothering to use HTML or CSS properly! -- Hell, it's IN THAT ARTICLE as an example of such!

... and again it's using the term "mobile" instead of saying the ACTUAL topic that responsive design is simply another link in a long chain of, device neutrality; aka the entire blasted reason HTML was created in the first place!

But that's why a site like the one @COBOLdinosaur has is basically "painted into a corner" by it's bad practices! Like a great many other sites out there it would be faster and less work to pitch it in the trash and start over from scratch than to try and make it responsive... so he has to weigh that cost of time and effort against the purpose of the site. If it were a real site with a revenue stream, it would most certainly be worth the effort to drag it kicking and screaming into the light on how it SHOULD have been coded in the first place.

But as a free resource for other programmers, it becomes more about "when you have the time" than it is a priority; even if failing to drag it kicking and screaming into using HTML and CSS properly (again not even TALKING just responsive but every other thing that should have been done in it's creation) is likely costing it potential visitors and turning it into bounce city.

Since again, as a developer be it on my 1920x1080 19" laptop, 10" MSI wind, Surface Pro 3, or even my triple display 2560x1440 main display workstation, it's an unusable eyesore that I would instantly bounce away from without even bothering to look at it's content if we weren't discussing it here.

... and you'd THINK someone like me would be in the target audience.

It wasn't written properly in the first place, painting it into the corner over adding anything resembling accessibility and device neutrality to it. That HAS to be costing it audience, and claiming it's not worth the effort to fix kind-of sounds to me like excuses trying to cover up ineptitude; in a "wah wah wah, is not" kind of way.

Of course, the "google not wasting my bandwidth on mobile has resulted in more traffic" REALLY sets off my BS alarm... how does that work exactly?!?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    deathshadow, Apr 28, 2015 IP
    Blesta.Store likes this.
  7. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    From that tl;dr-text (well, I did read it), all I took away was "I want that three-monitor setup!" :D
    Bah - currently I'm making do with a way-too-big 27" full-HD and two 20" 1680x1050 monitors + a laptop full-HD - and I want more screen-realestate!

PoPSiCLe, Apr 29, 2015 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Gonna be more fun when/if I'm well enough to set up the new monitor stands, since I'm going to be going from a 24" 1920x1200, 27" 2560x1440 and 17" 1024x1280 (rotated to portrait) to having a pair of 19" 900x1440 portrait and both of my 17" 1024x1080 on the wings of that 27" display. Five displays == rock and roll.

Being nice and giving the 24" 1920x1200 to a lady friend who's sitting there on a crappy little 15" 1024x768; laughable when her system is a freaking i7 960 with 16 gigs of RAM and a GTX 560ti. Her ex-husband was a dick who stole half her stuff to pay for meth. Can't own nothing nice around a meth-head :(

Of course I'm just loving that I can grab 27" 2560x1440 IPS displays with no pixel defects off e-fence for $300 to $350 a pop...

deathshadow, Apr 29, 2015 IP
  9. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Yeah - I like eBay, but since I don't really reside anywhere civilized (in that setting), shipping and handling eats up most of, if not all I can save.
    I sorta want to buy a 8 DP-card and monitors to match - just because - granted, at least four of those monitors would be running random streams and not much useful, but at least I could do a 8-screen show of anything I WANTED to watch. However, THAT will set me back about $6-8k, so it'll have to wait for... quite a while :D Currently I'm aiming to get set up with 3x2560x1440 + a couple smaller ones for testing and configuring other hardware.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 29, 2015 IP