1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is representation in film important?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & TV' started by droidnoise, Sep 10, 2017.

After the Ghost in The Shell film, its apparent that Hollywood will simply do whatever it takes to get a big name off the ground for the attention even at the cost of destroying the source content. Whitewashing in America films has been going on for decades now and still remains to come up every now and then to destroy a popular classic that's made a huge impact involving the culture it was set around.
    SEMrush
    I'm a huge film lover that expects films to be honest forms of entertainment that can bring people from all over the world together in an environment we're all passionate about. Whether the intention of Ghost in The Shell was to cast a big name to draw people in, or just a foul move that indicates the slow progression of Hollywood. It remains the same that original source content on characters who can have a larger impact on a specific group of people should be represented accordingly.

droidnoise, Sep 10, 2017 IP
    SEMrush
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    As someone who used to read the old DC and Marvel comic books regularly, I, too, have noticed the "liberties" that the moviemakers take with the original superheroes. E.g., Spiderman did not naturally shoot webbing out of his wrist. He used mechanical devices affixed to each wrist that would occasionally run out of its special fluid leaving him webless. Likewise, with Ironman, his heart power source would grow weaker and weaker as he fought the bad guys and at some point, he would have to stop and get it re-charged back at his residence. On the subject of charging devices, the Green Lantern's power ring also would run low on power and need to be re-charged in a special device. Relatively speaking, these are minor issues but they did change the thrust of many stories due to the importance of these powers to the plotline.

Anyway, I always just figure that the moviemakers know what sells (ticket sales are the only real measure of success) and take liberties accordingly. There have been a few instances that they so changed a character that I decided not to go to any sequels, but that is pretty rare. These movies are just diversions, anyway, and should only be viewed for enjoyment purposes. And, if you don't enjoy one, for any reason, vote with your wallet and refuse to go to any sequels. If it is bad enough, refuse to go to any movies by the screenwriter and/or director that so disappointed you.

jrbiz, Sep 13, 2017 IP