1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is registering with ODP/DMOZ worth it?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Gerinja, Dec 19, 2009.

it has been said that is extremely hard to get into ODP/DMOZ directory.

I submitted one of my sites approximately 1 month ago. I am still waiting for the email, either for the approval or denied to my site being listed. but...

Is it worth it? In terms of increasing Page Rank, and Getting more traffic?

can someone explain these factors please?

Thanks in advance.

Gerinja, Dec 19, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You should stop waiting for that email you expecting. DMOZ do not send notifications.

DMOZ is nothing more than a good backlink to have - that is all. There are plenty of other ways to get good backlinks. Your site can still do well without a DMOZ listing. You won't shoot to number one in google when or if you get a listing.

Is the chance of getting a good link worth the 5 mins of submitting? Of course it is.

Agent000, Dec 19, 2009 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Agent000 gave a good answer in the end, as it generally is worth the time it takes to submit your site in many cases, but as the suggestion pool is just that a pool of suggestions, it can also be looked at in the reverse... as in you can simply promote your site to anyplace BUT the odp and you can still find yourself listed, and in many cases, the wait time is the same by not submitting.

As for page rank and traffic, you'll likely find that you get very little traffic from DMOZ or it's clones (including the google directory). Any change in page rank is generally debatable as well, and most people will not or can not agree as to whether or not it helps, so again, submit if you are submitting to directories in general, or don't if you are not. Either way, getting listed will likely not HURT your site.

Qryztufre, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  4. lou15

lou15 Member

Best Answers:
    Suggest link with another email or invite your friend to suggest your link on dmoz

Repeat and repeat

lou15, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Spam and spam.

What do we do with spam? We read it avidly and decide that it must be very important.

Not really, we do the same as you do.

jimnoble, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  6. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i thought this thread was about how to get listed and not about how to make sure you do not get listed!!!

Agent000, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  7. alsatech

alsatech Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL, he just got excited by an opportunity to say something about DMOZ

ha ha ha... Can you blame him for that?

:)

alsatech, Dec 21, 2009 IP