1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Python a good 1st language to learn?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by avus276, Jul 4, 2013.

I have experience with HTML and CSS through wordpress but I really want to get into programming.

I have heard that Python is a great language and is really versatile. I have heard mixed emotions though about how "hard" it is to learn.

What are your thoughts?

avus276, Jul 4, 2013 IP
  2. tonicc

tonicc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to make websites with Python i recommend you to use Django (it's a Python web framework) the syntax from Python its really clean and it's easy to learn.

Cheers!

tonicc, Jul 4, 2013 IP
  3. infinitnet

infinitnet Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Python is really great and can be used for a lot of different things. Furthermore, if you know Python, it's not too hard to switch to C and other languages. However, in case you want to learn a web language, I would suggest PHP.

infinitnet, Jul 4, 2013 IP
  4. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that Python is a pretty good language to start off with. Java is also another good starter, since many languages have a similar syntax. C would be the best since it is the granddaddy of languages with that common syntax, but it may be a bit difficult to cut one's teeth with.

ViolentAJ, Jul 4, 2013 IP
  5. ByteCoder

ByteCoder Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend starting with C as mentioned above - its a bit more difficult but it pays off - after you know C theres no language that you cant learn in like 2 weeks top.

As for python, as much as it is a powerful language, dont forget that its a script language and not a programming language, its different and I would not start with a scripting language if you wish to learn programming.

If you're just looking for something in the middle, not too hard, not too easy but still a programming language and not just a scripting one - C# may be the solution, but once again - after learning C you can learn C# in no time but the opposite is not as easy.

That being said, I see you're more of a web programmer so if you refine your question for a web-programming-language I would say PHP is a must, JS is the next and if you want something more interesting maybe try Ruby (rails etc).

Best of luck!

ByteCoder, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  6. avus276

avus276 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you! I need to figure out what the major differences between scripting and programming languages I think lol

Very helpful information though. I appreciate it

avus276, Jul 5, 2013 IP