1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is putting Adsense on this site a bad idea?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by christian231, Oct 16, 2007.

I have a website that is for a specific Nike golf product. The domain name is that "golfproductname.com" however it doesn't have the name Nike in the domain..just the specific name of their golf product.

This product is going to be released by Nike on Nov. 1 and my site is ranking #1 in most of the SE's for about 5 keyword phrases related to this golf product and the traffic is starting to build.

I don't have any adsense or affiliate links on this page at the moment because I'm worried that I will get into hot water with Nike and branding issues etc. Currently I just have a nice description of the Nike product, with links to my golf blog and other golf related sites.

Within the next few weeks, my traffic is really going to spike and I'd hate to loose out on taking advantage of the great rankings I have for those key phrases.

If anyone has any experience with this type of situation or any suggestions as a good way for me to go here I'd really appreciate it.

If you PM me and promise not to steal my idea..I might give you the url. ;)

Thanks everyone.

christian231, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  2. adsens3

adsens3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't worry about it, get some Adsense and affiliate links on the site in anticipation for the spike in traffic.

adsens3, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  3. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    Put some affiliate links and ads on site. If your just talking about the product i do not see any problem.

rcj662, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  4. Union

Union Peon

Best Answers:
    You should be just fine, I say go for it. If you are really concerned you should contact adsense support and they can give you a more definitive answer.

Union, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  5. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it would be violating Adsense TOS...I just would rather not get a cease and desist letter in the mail from Nike Inc for accidentally violating some trademark issue. I guess the worst that could happen is they tell me to take the site down. Maybe I'll throw some ads up and see what happens.

I hear they have conjugal visits in white collar prison...that is, if they don't send me to "federal, pound me in the a$$ prison"..;)

christian231, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  6. Union

Union Peon

Best Answers:
    haha!

So far I have yet to hear a reported case of adsense-induced prison-love. How horrible would it be if you were the first!

In all seriousness, I think a C&D would be the worst case scenario, but I really don't think you have anything too worry about.

Union, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  7. clinton

clinton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I say its worth a try, you can make money off of it if you work hard enough to make it work

clinton, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  8. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're turning them hits and making them money without a long term advertising contract I don't think they're going to be upset having their new line promoted for pennies per click. After all, that's the whole premise of Adsense publishing.

btw, I'm a golfer and you have some professional looking sites. I bookmarked your directory and blog.

You'll do fine. And here's wishing you get the surge of traffic and make much money for your efforts !!!

Bryce, Oct 17, 2007 IP
    christian231 likes this.
  9. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    IMO, there will be no problem putting adsense on it..
    however, you should check it with google.

Abhik, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  10. SEOWOES

SEOWOES Peon

Best Answers:
    The probability of Nike throwing a fit at you using their brand/brand name/logo is offset by the publicity you are giving their product. Its no different to a huge percentage of websites out there that talk about specific companies and/or their products. So long as you are not being negative about their merchandise, I wouldn't be concerned.

I would suggest you ensure you have something along the lines of the following on your site somewhere (in the footer etc):

"this domain is in no way affiliated with, or part of, companynamehere"

and also :

"Brand name / brand logo used here for illustration purposes only"

etc - just make it clear that you are not part of the official company.

SEOWOES, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  11. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    Very solid advice SEOWOES. The name of the game is promotion. I don't see why any business entity would be upset about free publicity. However, quality is a key factor. Keep your articles and/or reviews positive and high quality and you're fine.

One secret with blogging and publishing is to keep on a positive note. Like the old saying goes "You can win more flies with honey than vinegar"

Bryce, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  12. skweb

skweb Peon

Best Answers:
    You will hear from the trademark holder at some point but in the meantime it is OK to make money from it. What will happen, though, is that you may be asked to surrender all your past profits too since putting ads shows that you had bad intentions.

skweb, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  13. Union

Union Peon

Best Answers:
    With all due respect, I'd say that this is a very unlikely scenario. From my experience with similar situations (I have never worked with nike products but I have had plenty experience with niche websites.), I will tell you that you can probably expect one of two senarios:

1. The company will ignore you altogether. (This is the most likely scenario.)

2. The company's marketing/pr department will be very pleased that you have a site devoted to promoting their produsts and will add you to their PR list in order to keep you updated on all their future press happenings. (Boy is it sweet when this happens!)

Union, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  14. moldovanin

moldovanin Peon

Best Answers:
    IMHO, there will be no problem putting adsense on it.

moldovanin, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  15. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm going to throw some ad's on there today and see how it goes. I appreciate all of the input and different views everyone has offered.

christian231, Oct 17, 2007 IP