1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is PR overhyped?

Discussion in 'Google' started by sahilcoolsmart, Jan 23, 2007.

?

Is PR being overhyped?

1. Yes

81.5%
  2. No

18.5%
  1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Because PR is a factor but not the only factor in Google rankings.

Not exactly stiff competition for that term, is there? :rolleyes:

minstrel, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  2. socialhuman

socialhuman Peon

Best Answers:
    My first site was something of a philosophy site. It was not optimized as I had absolutely no knowledge of SEO at that time. It got listed free at Yahool; and DMOZ also listed it within a year or so. And the site had a PR of 7 - but little traffic as few were interested in philosophy.

However, someone got fascinated by the site's PR, and wanted to buy it. He paid a decent sum for it too. He probably thought PR was all that mattered. (And as he tried to commercialize the site, its PR has now come down to 0.)

At present, I have two sites, one with a PR of 3 and the other with a PR of 2. Both these sites receive far more traffic than the PR7 site ever did. And I also noticed that the level is more for the PR2 site.

So it woul seem that "respect" is all that PR gets for you!

socialhuman, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  3. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm okay. Thats your opinion. Thats great. Someday your going to realize how foolish it is to think that but feel free to continue;) - The problem with your theory is if Google factored PR it would be a set value for each PR. It boils down to what is PR? Well PR is effected by quantities of links so thousands of low quality links can gain a high PR but will not gain you any authority or rankings in Google. Google doesn't rank like this so it is only logical they are smart enough NOT to factor the PR. Rankings are effected by backlinks and PR is too. But make no mistake rankings are NOT effected by PR. Don't get mixed up here. If your PR is rising and it looks as if that is what is increasing your rankings. All this means is that you are getting some links that are effecting this. Google PR(toolbar) has no effect on your rankings what-so-ever.

No the competition is not that bad although it is a pretty good phrase. I also rank top/near the top for some high competition HIGH traffic phrases. I won't give these out right here. Perhaps at some point I will post them on my blog.

visio, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  4. minstrel

Best Answers:
    What a joke. If you can't rank near the top for the name of your forum, you're doing something pretty dumb. And as for the high competition high traffic terms, yeah right. That would explain your PR2 forum with a total of 200 members where you haven't even bothered to replace the logo that came with your phpBB style. :rolleyes:

minstrel, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  5. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First of all I could care less about your opinion of me. You treat nearly everyone like this so I am not bothered. Unless someone is in the same rut you are they are treated like crap.

Your going back to PR as though it means something. I have a client(consultation) who has a PR2 and gets over 40,000 google clicks a month without adwords. I also have a client who has a PR6(says it will be 7) and hardly gets 4000 uniques a month all-together. PR is meaningless and does not accurately portray what traffic you get or rankings you hold.
    And about the logo. I like that logo. Everyone knows what the forum is about. I may change it someday but I don't think that is a primary object right now.

I do not need to argue with you about this here. It is kind of off-topic you know. You resent me because we don't agree. That would be okay except you have to push everything. Have a little respect for someone elses opinions and THEN MAYBE someone else will respect yours. You have a high post-count but a low value of others.

visio, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    No. I correct you when you spout nonsense and your usual response is to spout more nonsense. To remind you, I was responding to this exchange earlier in the thread:

minstrel, Feb 5, 2007 IP