1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is posting post in several categories good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Mkcoy, Jun 20, 2015.

Hello if you post your WordPress posts into more than 1 category is that a good or a bad idea? I think I read something somewhere once which gave a reason for not doing it but I can't remember for sure.

Is it a good or a bad idea to do this from a Google POV?

For instance I have a games site that has both desktop and mobile games on it. But it has lots of categories like action, racing, shooting, sports etc.

So I post say a desktop shooting game into the shooting and desktop category.

And I post another mobile shooting game into the shooting and mobile category.

That way people can filter by mobile and desktop games.

How does Google see it when I do this?

Thanks!

Mkcoy, Jun 20, 2015 IP
  2. thepunk

thepunk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Generally its not good to post a single post in more than 1 category as google spiders will consider it as a duplicate posts when they index your categories.

thepunk, Jun 27, 2015 IP
  3. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Right. I guess that's why the Allinone SEO WP plugin noindex's the categories saying its "Useful for avoiding duplicate content. Click here for documentation on this setting." which I guess only applies for WP sites that have posts in multiple categories. But also has a lot of options to set to avoid dupe content. Some of them include

Use noindex for Date Archives:
    Use noindex for Author Archives:
    Use noindex for Tag Archives:
    Use noindex for the Search page:
    Use noindex for the 404 page:
    Use noindex for paginated pages/posts:
    Use nofollow for paginated pages/posts:
    Exclude site from the Open Directory Project:
    Exclude site from Yahoo! Directory:

So noindexing the category "avoids" the "dupe content penalty". But the downside is that any content that shows on the category page other than the title is not indexed. It wont show in peoples search results or cached searches and that's not necessarily a good thing because there are many reasons why you would want your category pages content to be indexed, so is noindexing them the right solution, the thing to do or is there any other way around that? Other than not posting same posts in multiple categories.

Yoast WP SEO plugin also has the option to noindex your categories and tags archives also, as well as the author archive and 404 page etc but is not activated by default like Allinone is.

Mkcoy, Jun 27, 2015 IP