1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Photoshop a necessity for a designer?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by SpiderPigs, Oct 12, 2014.

I'm currently a student in South Africa at the University of Pretoria studying Multimedia. I've been wondering a lot about whether or not knowing Photoshop is a 'must' if you want a chance in getting work one day as a graphic designer or other similar jobs? What makes it so great over all the other image editing software out there?

Solved! View solution.
    SpiderPigs, Oct 12, 2014 IP
  2. John47

John47 Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop is a major part of the design process, it offers something unique that has made it an essential part of the web designer’s toolkit. Photoshop is continuing to add features and workflows to support web designers.
    I've been using Photoshop since I started working as a designer and wouldn't recommend anything else.

John47, Oct 12, 2014 IP
  3. Design 101

Design 101 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't say that it is a must if you want to make it as a graphic designer. I know a lot of people who doesn't use Photoshop in the industry and they are still very good designers.

I personally like using Photoshop but know other software as well that is also great to use.

Design 101, Oct 12, 2014 IP
  4. PascM

PascM Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I thought (but I might be wrong) that most designers like Corel Draw for their purposes.

PascM, Oct 12, 2014 IP
  5. SpiderPigs

SpiderPigs Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies!

Also, do you think that Photoshop users have a great advantage over others who don't use it?

6. SpiderPigs

SpiderPigs Peon

Best Answers:
    I was waiting for someone to mention it! I heard Corel Draw is a very powerful program as well, haven't learned the program at al yet, do you by chance know it and would you say it's just as good if not better than Photoshop?

7. Design 101

Design 101 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Corel Draw definitely a powerful program and is a vector based program, more like Adobe Illustrator. So depending on the design either program can serve a better purpose. Most designers like using Illustrator as it is also vector based, but by combining something like Photoshop with Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator will give you much much more options.

So in conclusion I think the secret is to combine these programs to use them for their optimal purposes.

8. Design 101

Design 101 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No, definitely don't think that Photoshop is the gateway to design. A lot of factors play a role in a good design and can be achieved by many other programs Photoshop is just one of the great tools to use in creating a good design.

It's kind of like building something. You'll need tools to do it so would a electrical screwdriver work better than a hand held and hand operated one? Most likely but you need to know how to use it firstly, need the power to run it and it's probably more expensive and in the end it does the same job the hand held one did with a little patience.

That's how I see it at least

9. SpiderPigs

SpiderPigs Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot! it helps a great deal what you have mentioned. Think I have more clarity on the situation now, especially with that last metaphor!

I greatly appreciate it! =)

I think CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator are the 2 winners in this case, Photoshop is more for Photographers etc (and webmasters that wanna do some good job on their images)

PascM, Oct 12, 2014 IP
  11. John47

John47 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think Photoshop has a big advantage, but Photoshop is a very powerful design tool and it can do more than other image software editing.

John47, Oct 12, 2014 IP
  12. SpiderPigs

SpiderPigs Peon

Best Answers:
    That would make sense as photographs are raster images and Photoshop serves to edit raster images. Think that is a valid point yeah

13. Design 101

Design 101 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Suppose it all comes down to what you need but in a purely design sense I have to go with PascM and say CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator is the best for this job and finalizing your product, I just mainly use Photoshop for it's effects and usually use them in Adobe Illustrator. But go play around and experiment and see what you like and don't like in the different software.

14. SpiderPigs

SpiderPigs Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the replies guys! All of it helped a lot!

15. Design 101

Design 101 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No problem! =)

Best of luck to you!

16. Chris Bosh

Chris Bosh Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi. Photoshop is a very important tool in the design process.
    To be a professional photo design, product design or any other you must know the basics Photoshop.
    There are other software photo design more friendly and comfortable, but none of them professional like Photoshop.
    All other programs are derived from the base of Photoshop.
    In conclusion, I do not see any other choice just learning these basic Photoshop software

Chris Bosh, Oct 16, 2014 IP
  17. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's definitely not necessary, but every designer I know prefers to use Photoshop, especially over free alternatives like Gimp. Photoshop is great for graphic design, creating flyers, brochures, and digital art. It is very easy to manipulate photos and create cool things in Photoshop, but you can still do these things on other programs - it just takes a lot longer to create similar effects when using GIMP and other free alternatives.

Corel Draw and Illustrator are great, and I believe you should learn Illustrator after Photoshop if you want to have a serious career in design. Illustrator is great for vector art, logos, and other illustrations. It's good to know both. If you want to go the free route and need something to get started, you can download GIMP and Inkscape. Inkscape is the free alternative to Illustrator, and there are a ton of tutorials online to help you get started.

cronik, Nov 1, 2014 IP
  18. aldrik

aldrik Active Member

Best Answers:
    Photoshop has become the international standard. It doesn't matter whether you like or not you need to study it to compete in this field. It is like Microsoft Office or Microsoft Windows. You can always use linux or Open Office or other office suite and does exactly what Microsoft Office capable of, but I never heard 2

aldrik, Nov 1, 2014 IP
    cronik likes this.
  19. Kluivert07

Kluivert07 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yeah photoshop and illustrator are the most important programs to any graphic designer

Kluivert07, Nov 2, 2014 IP
  20. member8200

member8200 Member

Best Answers:
    Photoshop is one powerful tool when it comes to graphic designing. it's the flagship of adobe for a reason. :)
    But still, it all come to preferences, whatever tools you use as long as you create great designs for your clients

member8200, Nov 3, 2014 IP