1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is paypal going the way of stormpay?:

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by iowadawg, Apr 24, 2006.

We all know that the only way to use stormpay as a payment processor now is to buy and sell only on stormpay auctions.
    You can no longer use stormpay on your websites as a payment processor.

Now I find inklings from other marketers who have had their paypal account either closed, frozen, or stopped from accepting payments.
    Seems that paypal (owned by ebay) may be moving over to the same set up as stormpay.
    In that only ebay auctions will be the place to use paypal, to accept and pay.

Anyone hear of this happening?
    Any verification?

Thank you.

iowadawg, Apr 24, 2006 IP
  2. dharding

dharding Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't imagine PayPal being that stupid. There are thousands of web pages outside of Ebay that use PayPal for ecommerce: subscriptions, donations, merchandise sales, etc.

Stormpay has virtually no market presence, so it's easier for them to make changes. The existing userbase of non-Ebay PayPal users dwarfs Stormpay by several orders of magnitude...

dharding, Apr 24, 2006 IP
  3. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't heard of anything like that.

If anything, I think that paypal is pushing for the exact opposite direction of that. They now have a virtual terminal for US businesses, they have an API integration method, and they are trying to break into the retail marketplace.

Paypal may be cracking down on certain types of businesses, but I don't think they are trying to make their system exclusive to ebay at all.

jestep, Apr 24, 2006 IP
  4. homeloans1

homeloans1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Stormpay would still be alive if they had not gotten into a huge multi million dollar pyramid called 12dailypro with 300 000 people.

Paypal is relatively clean, their security system is excellent to screen fraud, and their customer service has greatly improved over the years.

Also, one more thing. Stormpay was forced to shut down its main business BECAUSE THEY LOST THEIR MONEY TRANSMITTER LICENSE.

May God Bless Paypal, I love them! Am a very satisfied business account owner with PP.

homeloans1, Apr 24, 2006 IP
  5. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    No... PayPal is going exactly the opposite direction with the release of merchant services. I process orders through PayPal now instead of a merchant account, but it looks and acts exactly like a merchant account. The user buying does not know the order is going through PayPal at all. Even on their credit card statement, it says Mystik Media.

https://www.blazemp.com/orderform.asp is an example.

mystikmedia, Apr 24, 2006 IP
  6. broke-r

broke-r Peon

Best Answers:
    Mystikmedia, what about the cost? Is it cheaper than having a merchant account with another company (e.g. authorize.net)?

broke-r, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  7. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    All things considered, yes. I still use the merchant account some too, but when you do more than $10,000 per month, PayPal gives you a merchant rate, which is lower than any of the other rates. You don't have to deal with a separate gateway fee, chargeback fees, etc. So, it works out great for me, especially since I sent out a lot of funds through PayPal anyway. I am still working on getting the perfect balance of funds through PayPal and the merchant account (to the bank account), but it is working out pretty well, I think.

mystikmedia, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  8. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    What I believe happened is that Stormpay pretty much tried to become what Paypal is and failed and decided for their best interest not to compete in the same market and do what they are better at.

Paypal is hugely popular and almost everyone here have an account with them or at least hope to have one. It seems like the de facto payment platform here. I have not seen anyone asking for any other method of payment.

In fact, I've got my paypal account just last month because I needed to purchase some sites here :)

I would think that the Business and Premier Accounts are good business sense for them. The worst case would be that they will begin charging commission for the personal accounts.

eddy2099, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  9. chris_

chris_ Guest

Best Answers:
    my paypal account access has already been limited 2 times this year... I am an upstanding user, I ship, leave feedback and have had 0 complaints.

Now i'm having to resend my SSN / fax my proof of shipping / etc all because they want to randomly screen me... I mean, i just got the first one taken care of.

What right do they have to do this to me... twice?

chris_, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  10. webmasterdebatedotcom

webmasterdebatedotcom Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I can't imagine Paypal doing that. I believe the only reason Stormpay decided to do this is because they are in SOO much trouble with pay-to-surf, etc. entities like 12dailypro and studiotraffic. Literally thousands of 12DP members issued threats to the SP owners if they didn't stop blocking 12DP.

webmasterdebatedotcom, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  11. jimkarter

jimkarter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Paypal will never do that. There are some people with mind in paypal.:D

jimkarter, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  12. Dakuipje

Dakuipje Peon

Best Answers:
    There not that Stupid.
    I hope :S...

Dakuipje, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  13. mavahntooth

mavahntooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i hope it will not happen.. many use paypal as a payment transaction.

mavahntooth, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  14. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why on earth would they do that? I doubt that eBay makes up more than 75% of Paypal's revenues, so what would be the reasoning for them giving up a quarter of their business? I can't see any sensible reason why they would.

pwaring, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  15. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Totally agree, 12dailypro was the ticket to hell for Stormpay and there is nothing that can be compared at PayPal.

I also love the smooth transactions in there. I have been sending and receiving money on daily basis during the last week and no problems anywhere in or out, nor even withdrawing money to my bank account.

Mystique, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  16. megamoose

megamoose Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeh PayPal isn't too bad. I like it and think its a good and safe way to handle money online. At least you no one except them knows your credit card number and if you want to pay for anything you just check the URL is actually paypal.com

Mark

megamoose, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  17. VISTREL

VISTREL Peon

Best Answers:
    Paypal rox! I got my $100 back from scammer thanks to paypal!

VISTREL, Apr 26, 2006 IP