1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Overture better than Adwords?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by pg20706, Feb 11, 2005.

I have been using Adwords for a while. Convertion rate is ok. I wonder if Overture's convertion rate is better than Adwords? I don't want to spent my money(tight budget) to find it out. Thanks in advance.

pg20706, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  2. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Depends on many factors. Mainly what type of product/services you offer.

I have much better results w/ Adwords. But I know of many companies that do better with Overture.

So, throw some money into Overture account and give it a shot.

Crazy_Rob, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  3. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    Like Crazy says, it depends on the product and or service. I find searchers on Overture are more consumer oriented. I get more impressions on AdWords, about the sasme numebr of clicks from each (which means a lower click rate in AdWords) and a slightly higher conversion rate from Overture.

Something to consider though is that AdWords lets you specify a daily budget, Overture doesn't. If you put a popular term in Overture, depending on your sepnd, you can run through it all before you know it-

iShopHQ, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  4. pg20706

pg20706 Peon

Best Answers:
    "Something to consider though is that AdWords lets you specify a daily budget, Overture doesn't. If you put a popular term in Overture, depending on your sepnd, you can run through it all before you know it-"

That's good to know. You guys are so helpful.

pg20706, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  5. keywordguru

keywordguru Peon

Best Answers:
    Much agreed all around. Both are excellent and better for some markets over the other.

To pg20706, Overture now offers the daily budget feature like adwords. They made this change a few months back. I actually still input my budgets manually and tweak them all day long as necessary like a robot :) Rather me control it than them.

That is also another nice feature of Overture over Adwords. If you are paying for the top position in Overture, you get #1 within seconds. In Adwords, you may be paying half as much and still get #1. Adwords definitely takes a lot more understanding and know how to optimize spending.

Either way, they are both good. Just plan to track everything!
    KG

keywordguru, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  6. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    :) Found that out a while back. I had a $5 a day spend on a campaign in Google that was doing OK, so I tried Overture. Loaded it up, put $150 on the credit card and when I checked it about 6 hours later $23 was gone already. Low bids to (.10 -.15)

Ouch!

Doh! Didn't know OVerture had a daily spend limit now - I might have to revisit. I do like how you can bid for precisely the position you want. Overture opens the door for some tactics that aren't available in AdWords, like bid jammming and gap bidding, to name two-

In AdWords you ad is assigned a 'weight' value based on it's click through rate. If you have a higher click through rate, you can show up higher in the listings, even though your per click might be lower then your competitors. So write good copy!

iShopHQ, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  7. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    what about click fraud? Wouldn't there naturally be less in Overture since it's more selective?

david_sakh, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  8. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Explain this please.

Crazy_Rob, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  9. tomecki

tomecki Peon

Best Answers:
    I hate overture. You need to pay in advance 30$ and to have wait for approval of listing (sometimes I wait ONE WEEK).
    I have registered to them and they have dissaproved my listings. And after few weeks they charged me 20$, and they said that there is in their TOS that every advertiser should spend that amount monthly. So they have charged that amount.
    So if you like to wait for approval a lot of time and have many $$$ to spend it is for you.

tomecki, Feb 13, 2005 IP
  10. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    overture only lets big timers in, and wouln't u assume that they'd be smart enough not to click their own ads or participate in fraudulent schemes.

david_sakh, Feb 13, 2005 IP
  11. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    overture is a waste of money for me...converts about 1/3 that of adwords. I suspect that overture does not police double clicks and competitor clicking nearly as well as google does

lorien1973, Feb 13, 2005 IP
  12. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:

OH, I have no doubt!

Crazy_Rob, Feb 13, 2005 IP
  13. NMS

NMS Peon

Best Answers:
    I had better success with adwords on a software site

NMS, Feb 13, 2005 IP
  14. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I tried Overture once and it was such a waste of time and money. My conversion rate on adwords is SO much better. If you look through the past threads about Overture, you'll see that virtually no one has had a positive experiance...

ViciousSummer, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  15. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    You're talking about publishing.

This thread is started in Pay-per-Click and the comparison is with AdWords.

Overture lets small spenders in.

Conversion rate is impossible to compare because it mainly depends on what your offering is and how bad you are at ad copy writing.

In my experience, Overture conversions are a lot more expensive than AdWords.

T0PS3O, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  16. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Impossible to compare conversion rates :confused: ? How is that? I offer the same thing on Overture as I do on Adwords and I use the same wording in the ads...

ViciousSummer, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  17. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I see it sounds a bit different than I intended to.

What I was trying to say is that it's not Overture's conversion rate, or AdWords' conversion rate but more YOUR conversion rate.

1) You choose the KWs.
    2) You write the Ad copy.
    3) You decide on the landing page and write it.
    4) You decide on your offering and terms & conditions.
    5) Then the punter decides whether to buy/sign-up whatever.

Plus the fact that the Overture ads aren't as clearly distinguished from search results which results in more clicks than perhaps necessary. Example, you write an ad for 'back pain' because you sell a massager. But someone searching for back pain just wanted some info and had no intentions to buy. Your ad shows #1 at the top and gets clicked on more easily than an AdWords ad on the right (or even the top Google ads).

Another difference is the user base which still is significantly different.

Overture does work better for women related ads IME(xperience).

VS, if you have two similar ads running on both systems then yes, you can compare it. But for someone who isn't with Overture (and not even willing to give it a test drive) it's virtually impossible to predict/compare conversion rates.

T0PS3O, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  18. kakoky

kakoky Peon

Best Answers:
    About conversion between AdWords and Overture, I can tell from my experience in the spanish market that AdWords works much better than Overture in the search area, while Overture converts better in content.

AdWords offers me better conversion and more benefits than Overture, which is also working well, but not as much as AdWords. So I can not decide to use one or other program, because both programs works in different sites.

I use them in two ways, firstly I look for conversion (both works well), secondly I look for trademark relevancy (I am convering about 85%-90% of PPC market in Spain with them).

kakoky, Feb 16, 2005 IP
  19. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I used to use Overture alot then moved over to Google Adwords....

I just recently went back with Overture and am giving them another shot....

They actually set up my new account for me and went over all possible keywords and started the campaign....

They choose keywords that are less relivent, yet generate more clicks.

Good for me - bad for search.....

Guess they are trying to rake in as much as possible.....

I'll see what the conversion rate is and them make a decision.... :)

clasione, Feb 16, 2005 IP
  20. Vibrators

Vibrators Guest

Best Answers:
    What HE said!!!!

Vibrators, Feb 17, 2005 IP