1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is nginx or apache more secure?

Discussion in 'Security' started by TheMRK, Feb 24, 2014.

?

Which of the following Webserver is more secure?

Poll closed Mar 10, 2014.
  1. nginx

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. apache

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
    Hello,
    as you might know I'm going to set up a new hosting company and currently I'm going to set up my server for it and now I need to decide whether I use apache (2.4) or nginx. Security is very important thus I wonder which of both webservers will guarantee me more security. Unfortunately I don't know but hopefully you do. :)

TheMRK, Feb 24, 2014 IP
  2. jeffatrackaid

jeffatrackaid Active Member

Best Answers:
    Neither -- both.

Security is far more a factor the the application you run and how the systems are setup. I can deploy both Apache and Nginx securely or insecurely.

In terms of inherit security of the program itself, I would say that Apache core tends to have fewer major issues due to its maturity. There have been a number of exploits, but they are mostly in add-in modules.

See:
    http://secunia.com/community/advisories/search/?search=nginx
    http://secunia.com/community/advisories/search/?search=apache

jeffatrackaid, Feb 26, 2014 IP
  3. WebHostDog

WebHostDog Banned

Best Answers:
    Running Apache with PHP as DSO (mod_php) is always a bad idea as running as nobody. nginx should be more lightweight and protected. I am not sure about secure as there might be 0-day exploits for everything.

WebHostDog, Jul 31, 2014 IP
  4. AnaWade

AnaWade Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not sure which one is the best regarding your security purpose. Can you describe your specifications regarding server????

AnaWade, Mar 18, 2015 IP
  5. Israel Gaudette

Israel Gaudette Member

Best Answers:
    Nginx have protection for small ddos attack what apache doesn't have.

NGINX is a powerful engine.. and it's used as main http server by google.com

Israel Gaudette, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  6. TheSHosting

TheSHosting Member

Best Answers:
    Security for web apps ultimately resides on the applications itself. Of course there are some stuff that we can do at web server level ( like DDoS limiting modules, mod_security kind of WAF, etc ); still it cannot give protection if your application has security holes. Especially when you build a shared hosting, you will have limited ability to the user's code and main thing that you can do is to add some security at web server level by using the security features provided by the web server. Nginx is not recommended for shared servers due to many factors ( its not an issue with Nginx :) )

1. There is no major control panel, which comes with Nginx alone web server stack.
    2. You will end up with lots of rewrite rule issues / tickets

Still you have an option to run Nginx in front of Apache and proxy requests to Apache; that is the web server stack major control panel follow right now. It is a recommended setup and it can add some improvements to the website loading speed as well.

But if you are going to build a server that is for personal use or without control panel and to host your own apps, Nginx will be fine.

TheSHosting, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  7. scott_r

scott_r Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's terribly hard to secure a service, even if you know what you're doing. Things tend to go to shit once you put a lot of random people with insecure applications on a single shared server.

Honestly, I'd just buy a reseller account from an established host that already has everything setup, secured, and optimized for a shared hosting environment. You'll save yourself a lot of time and worry, and your clients will thank you for it.

scott_r, Apr 23, 2015 IP
  8. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein Member

Best Answers:
    I run a hosting company right now. If you are looking to use cPanel, you are going to be running apache unless you decide to do lots of modifications (which can open security holes ;))

Without a CP, it really depends on the way you configure and secure them. I'm sure both have flaws, but, depending on how you set them up they can be mitigated.

Rmarmorstein, Apr 26, 2015 IP
  9. itbypros

itbypros Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As far as security against hacks neither is any better than the other as stated above. A good thing is mod security is now working with both so that helps for adding rulesets against attacks. As far as security against ddos and attacks, apache is a lot better than it used to be but nginx is still better in that regard. When it is a GET attack against php sites though it really dont matter.

The only web server that I have personally seen hacked causing mayhem is litespeed. When it first came out I was a big fanboy because it handled high traffic and ddos so well. I got many clients to switch over to it. I even got a very high profile security and hacking site to switch to it. All was awesome for about a year then comes the buffer overflow exploits which got many servers hacked and rooted. When I first seen the exploit I contacted the owner/main developer only to be brushed off with disbelief. He would ask for logs, Id give them to him, he would say he couldnt find anything, that it must have been something else. Then I gave him packet captures, etc; Still wasnt listening, then the exploit went out into the wild, it was a private 0 day only a few hackers had when I was bugging him to fix it then when the crap finally hit the fan, His fix was to add a request filter instead of simply fixing it. When all said and done I lost nearly all clients I had change to it, it hurt my credibility a great deal and

Sorry for long post about that but apache and nginx both have came a long way, have a team of great developers and you simply wont find any better or more secure. If you go off and think paid alternatives are better you may just find out the hard way like I did.

itbypros, May 8, 2015 IP
    Jeffr2014 likes this.
  10. itbypros

itbypros Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Also I want to add there are decent control panels now that support nginx. ISPConfig is one of them and it is totally viable for a hosting platform.

itbypros, May 8, 2015 IP
  11. bryc3

bryc3 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would say whatever you are more familiar with should be the safest option.

bryc3, Sep 2, 2015 IP