1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Navicat the best DB admin tool?

Discussion in 'Databases' started by DigiNewb, Dec 11, 2013.

I've always just used phpMyAdmin when working with databases, but I'm working on a large project now and need something that's more efficient to use and which can do things like generate ER diagrams.

I've been scouring the forum and searching Google for reviews on different tools and it seems like Navicat is pretty popular. I downloaded the trial and like it so far, but before buying it I just thought I'd check and see if there's anything you guys think is better.

Any thoughts?

DigiNewb, Dec 11, 2013 IP
  2. Andrei_RO

Andrei_RO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tried several db management tools, and i am always coming back to navicat.
    There are some issues with navicat too, but mostly are just small annoyances. For instance if i have to switch the Keyboard layout, and you go to another window with alt-tab it switches back to the default one. Or sometimes it has some troubles connecting through a ssh tunnel and you have to restart navicat.
    But - it has a very easy to use interface, you can save queries for later use, and you can schedule backups from it (backups run on your computer not on the server)
    I higly recommend it

Andrei_RO, Dec 12, 2013 IP
  3. crivion

crivion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    there's also a nice tool I use it on my mac and it's called "sequel pro"

crivion, Dec 12, 2013 IP
  4. khodem

khodem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well it all depends on your choice for some Navicate is better but for some other tools here
    are some tools which can be useful, but for advance users TOAD is the choice to make.

- HeidiSQL which is free
    - SQLyog MySQL which is not free you can use trial for data entry job
    - DbVisualizer 21 days trial works for data entry job
    - Toad for MySQL

cheers

khodem, Dec 12, 2013 IP
  5. junedc

junedc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used HeidiSQL when migrating servers to servers. It's a good choice for me

junedc, Dec 13, 2013 IP
  6. kodekarl

kodekarl Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Oracle's SQL Developer works for Oracle, MySQL, and I think several other RDBMS as well. (I've only ever used it with Oracle.) It's also got a decent modeller / diagram feature. It's free and runs on Windows, OSX and Linux. (It's Java-based.)

kodekarl, Dec 16, 2013 IP
  7. chrisranjana.com

chrisranjana.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Adminer, phpminiadmin

chrisranjana.com, Dec 16, 2013 IP
  8. DigiNewb

DigiNewb Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your recommendations. I've continued using the Navicat trial and find some parts of the workflow annoying, but it's still a whole lot faster than phpMyAdmin and loads better than a few other DB admin tools I've tried, so I'll probably end up buying it when the trial ends.

DigiNewb, Dec 23, 2013 IP