1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

is it wrong to buy things from your own affilate?

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by AllMyForums, Feb 12, 2009.

I mean, the company still makes a sale....

AllMyForums, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  2. atomicstorm

atomicstorm Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can't speak for the legality of it based on any random affiliate program but most won't give you credit for the lead. I know Amazon doesn't and I believe CJ is the same way.

I would imagine it would be looked to as a no-no because in reality, someone could just join an affiliate network and use it as a cash back system.

atomicstorm, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  3. AllMyForums

AllMyForums Guest

Best Answers:
    true. I dont know the legality of it either but I do hesitate doing it just because I think its morally wrong. even though I shouldnt care, thats just me.

but I have a site that uses links from almost every category. many times I come across a site that I really would like to buy something...should I not just because its my cj link? ya know what I'm sayin :cool:

4. jwhite88

jwhite88 Peon

Best Answers:
    Some affiliate companies give you credit for your sale as well as any other person that buys something from your site. I guess it depends on the policies of the affiliate program.

jwhite88, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  5. atomicstorm

atomicstorm Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can only suggest that you read the affiliate program ToS or just ask them. Simple as that.

atomicstorm, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  6. AllMyForums

AllMyForums Guest

Best Answers:
    or we can discuss it on a message board ;)

7. jodyq

jodyq Peon

Best Answers:
    I always ask prior.....usually when it is commission on sales then no problem, but if it is a lead based you might have a issue. I always buy my vitamins on my own links, makeup on my own links, clothes on my own links, but if I want a new car quote i go elsewhere.

jodyq, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  8. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One of the best things to do is to check the ToS from your affiliate company to see if they allow it or not, when in doubt ask them... i mean it's not worth risking your account for a few bucks

Grit., Feb 12, 2009 IP
  9. jodyq

jodyq Peon

Best Answers:
    exactly!!! perfectly said grit.

jodyq, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  10. AllMyForums

AllMyForums Guest

Best Answers:
    this is what I was thinking as well. but others are correct when saying to check the ToS. I mean, there really is no other way to know for sure

AllMyForums, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  11. abcyesn

abcyesn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i thought about this as well, I was looking for a LCD TV, $2000 and buy.com affiliate was offering 5% for each sale which's like $100 bucks.. it's true not worth to get a few bucks than get dropped out from the partnership.

abcyesn, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  12. AllMyForums

AllMyForums Guest

Best Answers:
    something of that size its worth asking for sure. not worth the risk of losing your account. who knows, they might say yes.

AllMyForums, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  13. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Speak to the affiliate manager of a particular advertiser and ask permission from him/her. I know that Lunarpages would permit you to do that.

Bohol, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  14. Baig

Baig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi
    plz read Lunar terms
    But as Web designer you can purchase for you Customers.

Baig, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  15. jodyq

jodyq Peon

Best Answers:
    Just ask....some merchants don't really have a TOS set up, so you just ask!

jodyq, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  16. MistyGirl2000

MistyGirl2000 Peon

Best Answers:
    It was actually suggested to me by CJ that I buy from one of my own affiliate links in order to stop my account from being deactivated for dormancy. I thought it was weird that they would actually recommend that. I have just started generating a fair number of clicks in the past few days but I am about 3 days away from the 6 month deactivation date and they told me they can't stop it as it's automated but if I purchase something through one of my links it will register as a sale and my account will remain active. If I don't get a sale in the next 2 days then I may indeed do this :)

MistyGirl2000, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  17. phpPig

phpPig Peon

Best Answers:
    I have always heard that sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness. I have reviewed some of my sites and would see an item that would catch my eye, (I use api calls for all of the programs that i use), and have bought the items. I have not paid attention to if I was paid or not for the item, but the publisher never said anything to me about it.

phpPig, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  18. newostar

newostar Peon

Best Answers:
    It really depends on the publisher. If they catch you it is referred to as an invalid click and you might get banned from their program.

It's happened to me before when I bought a t-shirt through my own affiliate link.

newostar, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  19. alphamonk

alphamonk Peon

Best Answers:
    My day job is ITGuy and I do the purchasing for IT products. I started an Amazon site so I could purchase my monthly items from my own store as long as the total prices were in line with what I am paying CDW and Dell. I just found out that I can not get credit for purchasing from my Amazon store.

The reason I am here in the CJ forum and not in the Amazon forum is I am looking for an affiliate program that allows you to purchase from your own store.

alphamonk, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  20. pamon

pamon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i'd check with AM's anytime you purchase. Godaddy doesn't like it and some others on CJ don't either. fyi

pamon, Feb 19, 2009 IP