1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it worth using a WYSIWYG editor?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Amsterdam, Oct 26, 2005.

I've been coding all of my web pages by hand for quite a while now and I have become a bit of a stickler for 'clean' code.

Can anybody tell me exactly what the advantages would be if I changed to using a WYSIWYG editor, and is there a good one that doesn't produce superfluous junk code?

T

Amsterdam, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  2. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Think the most popular is Dreamweaver.

I use Frontpage and I would never think about not using it and typing it all in. If you want to save time then use a WYSIWYG.

aaron_nimocks, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  3. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Mainly for time saving. Im sure theirs a few areas Dreamweaver can be optimized (and Frontpage could use ALOT), and if your a good hand coder than you'd probably have lighter pages than by using a WYSIWYG.

I do my edits by hand, like adding links and stuff to my link pages, but do the design in DW. I'm learning html by using DW, but I don't think I'd ever try coding an entire "quality" site by hand.

mdvaldosta, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  4. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is very nice but can still give crazy code. Hand coding is the only sure way to keep your code nice and clean. Try using Dreamweaver in code view or in the split screen code and design view

Web Gazelle, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  5. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    If you use a WYSIWYG in conjunction with CSS you get some pretty decent code. I have all shades of code from very dirty to very clean. I can design/code faster in a WYSIWYG then view code and clean but by starting with an style statement in head of doc, getting the page to look as desired, and moving to external style sheet I end up with code that is not too objectionable and boy does it save time.

Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  6. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Benefit?
    They let me focus on the content rather than the page's complex under-the-hood stuff.

I still check DW's codes sometimes and alter it here and there.

iskandar, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  7. Avatar

Best Answers:
    I used to use Dreamweaver for my sites, but the code is bulky and I didn't want to pay the 100's of dollars. So at first I just did the edits and additions by hand, but when I finally took the big step of dropping dreamweaver, I was realy pleased, as Infact I could make a quality site with a simple text editor like notepad and as time goes on, its no big deal, infact you feel as if you should have ditched dreamweaver earlier.

8. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    I can't agree with that. Dreamweaver in code view is nice and it has some other nice features for connecting to your server and other things.

9. davert

davert Banned

Best Answers:
    Most of these editors drop in a lot of rubbish. GoLive has some nasty bugs including "you just THOUGHT that was deleted" but is better than iti used to be and is more responsive than Dreamweaver. I think Dreamweaver is OK 99% of the time. FrontPage is well known for bloating code (no offense to users) and also may stick in some stuff that only works on Explorer for Windows (and/or on FrontPage enabled servers). nVu is a good cheap editor but always keep a backup handy with nVu!

I use BBEdit for playing with source code but I'll never go back to a non-graphical editor. Just too much trouble for common tasks - I can single-click color complex tables, drop in formatted Word and Excel files, etc.

Oh, the other gotcha - edit the preferences if you use GoLive so it doesn't use character numbers but uses their names for special characters.

davert, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  10. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you're really into editing it by hand, you should get a nice editor like vim.

I have lots of respect for ppl who are still doing it this way.

iskandar, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  11. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Use a wysiwyg to save you all the mundane tasks and edit the code as you see fit, template the pages for your site and you have saved yourself a load of time and trouble.

mcfox, Oct 26, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  12. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    That is why Dreamweaver is a nice tool. You can switch back and forth from design view to code view and make pages quickly with code that is hand coded and cleaned by you.

13. torunforever

torunforever Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never used Dreamweaver (I hand code the markup), but it seems like an easy way to prototype a design. What you do with that design is up to you - leave it as is or tinker with the code.

I was reading how you can do web standards using DreamWeaver 8 in a SitePoint article (it's a competing site I know, but DigitalPoint doesn't seem to be as against competitor links as a certain forum I know *cough*WMW*cough*)

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/dreamweaver-8-standards

torunforever, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  14. naveed792

naveed792 Peon

Best Answers:
    VIM is really nice editor.

naveed792, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  15. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    Well, I actually draw out the design in Fireworks first then I code it in Dreamweaver. Fireworks HTML wizard is crap.

16. adamjthompson

adamjthompson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've been using Netscape Composer (I had it on my computer before the disconinued it.) I've become disgruntled with the fact that they do not use bold, font, italic, etc. tags. They use thise stupis span style thingines which are a pain.

Does anyone else know of a good free editor that would similiar to Composer but would have cleaner code?

adamjthompson, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  17. MeAlex

MeAlex Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use an editor built into my cms called etomite (I think there are actually a few different ones to choose from). It renders compliant code and is an amazing time saver. If you've never heard of etomite I highly recommend you check it out...sorry for the tangent.

WYSIWYG saves time. If you are still hand coding your site then it's my opinion that the content is being neglected.

MeAlex, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  18. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Damn them for following standards! :D The < font > tag went out with the Intel 386.

Every site I make is coded 100% by hand, HTML and PHP. Please point out where my content suffers because of this?

TheHoff, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  19. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    A friend of mine likes Alleycode, a free WYSIWYG. It handles CSS.

Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  20. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    Those stupid span class things are called Cascading Style Sheets. You can include it in the tag or make an external style sheet. Once you get some expereince using style sheets, they are great.

You could try AceHTML for a free editor.

Web Gazelle, Oct 27, 2005 IP