1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it worth to pay $299 to join Yahoo directory?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Blacksnow, May 15, 2008.

1. whoisbambam

whoisbambam Peon

Best Answers:
    lol.
    wow.
    i am floored with all these conflicting opinions.

i feel sorry for those starting out when they have to come to some thread like this.

I remember when one could submit to yahoo for free, no matter what category. it would just take awhile to get in. I also remember when none of the links were redirects.

Since that time, the value of a yahoo listing has declined substantially, without a doubt. Anybody who would dare argue otherwise, probably has not been doing this very long.

One does not have to submit to yahoo to become successful. That is a fact.

I have given my POV, hopefully very clearly by now.

If you are running a profitable website, and you are working on quality linkbacks yourself, it is beneficial to tell them, while you have them on the phone (and if you cant get them on the phone, you may want to forego that exchange), that you are in dmoz, yahoo, botw.org, joeant, gimpsy, and goguides. This may help you land the link deal. When you are trying to get a backlink from a PR4 page, throwing these around has proven to be very beneficial to me.

It aint about the traffic these directories send you directly. Even back in the old days, ie 2000, I would get only about 100 visitors a day directly from the yahoo directory for semi competitive phrase, in the top 3 position for primary term.

It aint about that.

It is about helping you with your personal link building campaigns. This is the single greatest value I have seen. Look, if you outsource your link building campaigns to some non-native speaker, fine, this probably does not apply to you. But if you take your link building very seriously, and you are trying to get PR4 and PR5 backlinks (permanent), and building long lasting relationships with this partners (they frequently have a second, or third website, perfect for 3way linking), telling them about these directory listings is a tremendous boost in building the repetoir.

Now, none of us REALLY know for sure if google, yahoo, or msn gives a preference to any of the beforementioned directories i just through out there.

But it has been my experience that it does help in those engines. Who knows why. Maybe they did not MEAN to favor those sites, but somehow somewhere it seems to make a difference.

I have seen this with hundreds of websites I have worked with. Not 2, 3, or 10.

I am sure there are webmasters out there that have done more than me. I am positive. There experience may differ. Who knows.

But I am not here to misinform or mislead, like alot of my colleagues have done, and boast about in the bars at the search conferences, or in emails they send to me.

Misinformation is part of this game. I imagine that many of the posters here have been both misinformed, and have not worked with enough websites with enough discrimation (analysis) to make a properly informed recommendation.

I wholeheartedly believe that they are being honest.....it has been there experience that it is not helpful.

But look at the whole picture, please.

How experienced at seo are they? How many sites have they tested this with? How long have they been in the business?

One should not base their analysis on results with just 5 yahoo listings. How much money have they made online, and entirely online, in the last 5 consecutive years, from their websites? $100,000 a year? Those are the people you want to listen to.

See my other posts for recommendations regarding education.

Some of my collegues dont recommend yahoo. Some do.

You want professional advice? Go find Ammon Johns from London (he may reply to you in cre8asite). Get him on the phone. Exchange some emails. He is the best seo-centric internet marketing guy I know. You will NOT find a more intelligent, informed individual on the face of the planet. If, per chance, you do, give me their contacts. I have been trying to find someone better for a very long time.

Balance him with Marlon Sanders and Jim Edwards, and find a place between all 3, and you will be well served. Well served indeed.

whoisbambam, May 17, 2008 IP
  2. hillord

hillord Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    save money for other things

hillord, May 17, 2008 IP
  3. indyguidedotinfo

indyguidedotinfo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    doubt its worth it. i know for a fact that a few of my competitors are listed in there as well as DMOZ. I am still kicking their buts in SEPRS for strong keywords :)

indyguidedotinfo, May 17, 2008 IP
  4. zee

zee Banned

Best Answers:
    A total waste of money! Period!

zee, May 17, 2008 IP
  5. vanshake

vanshake Peon

Best Answers:
    True, submitting to Yahoo and paying the $299 isn't going to automatically help you, but it's definitely not going to hurt! Nor is it going to be major traffic boon, but I do think that if you have that kind of money to burn than I think it's worth it. I do think that Google, MSN and even Yahoo course look upon those sites within the Yahoo directory a little more favorably than those that are not.

And if you are not sure just check your competition. If most of them are in it you should be to. If there are not then maybe that's a possible way to jump 'em.

Saving the money for high PR directories/comments/link farms and other garbage is well, garbage. Or at least it can turn out to be. Quality over quantity. How many of those high PR directories really add any meaningful traffic? And just how many of them will be around 4-5 years from now? A publicly traded company like Yahoo will be in around some form even if it is absorbed by MSN or Google or someone else.

vanshake, May 17, 2008 IP
  6. Alex789

Alex789 Active Member

Best Answers:
    agree - a waste of money.

Alex789, May 17, 2008 IP
  7. Western

Western Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  8. sikandar

sikandar Active Member

Best Answers:
    The backlink you get from Yahoo directory listing will surely help you in your Google rankings too. So the price tag of $299 is definitely worth it if you are selling products.

One more tip. When you write the text for your listing, please choose your subdirectories and the text to include your desired keywords.

sikandar, May 18, 2008 IP
  9. Canadian1974

Canadian1974 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can't believe anyone who says that this is not a wise investment!!! Its not for the traffic...you will get ZERO traffic from a Yahoo Directory link...it is for the PR and authority!!
    Wake up...for only $299 you are getting a link on the biggest website in the world!!! WAKE UP..its a PR 9!!!

Canadian1974, May 18, 2008 IP
  10. Overclock099

Overclock099 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely waste your money.. I have yahoo dir domain.. I never receive any traffic..

Overclock099, May 18, 2008 IP
  11. Marketeador

Marketeador Peon

Best Answers:
    I would use that moey to hire someone to write articles for my site for content / article marketing

Marketeador, May 18, 2008 IP
  12. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have submitted to Yahoo directory. I have not find any good out of that. I would rather suggest using that money on something else.

webcosmo, May 18, 2008 IP
  13. adfunk

adfunk Peon

Best Answers:
    i would love to see if some yahoo representative answering all this negative feedback, they are big giant companies and they are charging big money on directory submission they should hire at least a PRO to handle this situations.

adfunk, May 18, 2008 IP
  14. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure what you mean by the loyalty of google or yahoo. :confused:

The worth of a listing in yahoo directory depends on your vertical. Both Google and yahoo consider the directory listing a authority link and the yahoo directory drives some traffic.

bogart, May 18, 2008 IP
    Emie. likes this.
  15. AHA7

AHA7 Peon

Best Answers:
    For SEO purposes I think it matters to Yahoo more than it does to any other search engine.

AHA7, May 18, 2008 IP
  16. nitish0991

nitish0991 Peon

Best Answers:
    Better pay someone and get it into DMoz .

nitish0991, May 19, 2008 IP
  17. computer lover

computer lover Peon

Best Answers:
    if you want to waste your money, do it

computer lover, May 19, 2008 IP
  18. Algert

Algert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    for 300$ it is not worth
    better get some pr6-7 backlinks

Algert, May 19, 2008 IP
  19. kumarg

kumarg Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, It is not required to spend such a huge amount for one link.

kumarg, May 19, 2008 IP
  20. scriptaty

scriptaty Banned

Best Answers:
    Till you are not making that much money in one day.Don't do it.When you have enough money then only think about it.If you earn $299 and spend all then what's the profit.First work yourself for traffic and when you know that your niche rocks then only submit it.

Only my opinion.

scriptaty, May 19, 2008 IP