1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it worth starting a directory?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Get Searched, Oct 9, 2014.

As a Digital Marketing Company having a directory for both our clients and as a stand alone product or service is something we have been toying with for awhile now.

My issue are the following:

1. Can directories still prove useful for the every day web user not just the company who's advertising on the directory?
    2. Is there still money to be made via directories.
    3. Since we're reluctant to start a niche directory since our clients span across multiple niche's we'd have to start a general directory, is starting a general directory worth the time and investment and will it offer returns and prove a success of any time and investment placed into the directory.
    I'm are it's a HUGE job. The amount of work to be put into a general directory doesn't bother me. We're prepared to do this without cutting corners ensuring all content is unique/no backlink is required and ensuring that the information on there is edited to a hire standard making sure it provides useful, informative content to the users browsing the website.

My concern is if a project like this could ever be useful in 2014 but most importantly if money can still be made this way, this day and age?

Any thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated.

Get Searched, Oct 9, 2014 IP
  2. Get Searched

Get Searched Member

Best Answers:
    That's another point though, with such a major (probably the biggest) player in the directory industry leaving the market is this a sign that it's not a worthy investment?

Get Searched, Oct 9, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  3. carrieathomer

carrieathomer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can have directory and you will have submissions. But to make money out of it is tough. there are plenty of directories and you can get a directory template for $50 with which everybody can start

carrieathomer, Oct 10, 2014 IP
  4. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Directories can surely be useful under the right circumstances. But I think the profitability of directories is a thing of the past. Google has not only devalued many directories, but frequently cites links in them as "unnatural" in cases of manual penalties. To earn a good profit for your labor, you will have to overcome a tide of negative views regarding directories and create one that is not only different but quite compelling. Doing this would be costly and quite time consuming, while also putting your clients at risk for being cited by Google as having "unnatural" links. It's not worth the effort in my opinion and is part of the reason why some well known directories are being sold or closed down.

tornado!, Oct 10, 2014 IP
  5. umairhp

umairhp Banned

Best Answers:
    it totally depends on the purpose and the content of the directory website. If it's a natural web directory with information that is helpful for users then Search engines will definitely appreciate it since it's making their job kind of easier too. This article http://moz.com/blog/what-makes-a-good-web-directory-and-why-google-penalized-dozens-of-bad-ones should also help you while making your decision.

umairhp, Oct 11, 2014 IP
  6. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    In order for a new directory to thrive, or even survive, I believe that you would have to find some way to set your directory above the pack. As someone mentioned, one problem is that so many people have put $30 directory scripts up online and called them directories that this is what many people have come to expect of the industry. Sadly, even Google; but let's not forget that Google has a financial interest in dominating the ways in which people find things. I believe that there is still al market for web directories but they have to become something more than repositories of paid back links. Despite all the talk of Google devaluing directories, some directories have gained in PageRank, not that we'll have that metric to kick around anymore.

Perhaps it would make sense to look at it this way. If you started a website that contained nothing but links pages, would you expect to do well in the SERPs? The problem isn't so much that Google is saying that directories are a bad idea, but that they will be looked upon as any other website. Links will always be an integral of any web directory, or you wouldn't be able to call it that, but there has to be something more. Actual reviews, in lieu of 200 characters of non-descriptive descriptions might help, as would extraneous textual content, as long as it's unique, well-written, and useful. Probably a lot of other things that are yet to be thought of. But no, I don't think that a run-of-the-mill general web directory, offering nothing more than so many of the others, would do well in today's climate. Will they be back tomorrow? Who knows.

7. umairhp

umairhp Banned

Best Answers:
    That's the point isn't it. You have to prove to Google that your directly is useful and informative. If you do it right you will get ranks as other websites do.

umairhp, Oct 11, 2014 IP
  8. suwandichen13

suwandichen13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    as far as i know , theres no statement from google not to use web directory. ^.^
    Like Tornado said, You need choose wisely the directory before submitting.Directory with high PR doesn't mean that directory worthy enough. That only take 5 minutes.

suwandichen13, Oct 14, 2014 IP
  9. usemyteam

usemyteam Member

Best Answers:
    1. Directories are still useful for web users - there are still web users who rely on directories for searching specific companies.
    2. Yes there should be - you can advertise it and have people advertise through it.
    3. Yes it is worth the time. Not many directories are into general niche today.

usemyteam, Oct 14, 2014 IP
  10. suwandichen13

Best Answers:
    indeed , Also if you have high traffic directory , you can use your directory to promoting your other site..

11. umairhp

umairhp Banned

Best Answers:
    I am sure there are many decent ways to promote a website than that. That's what i was trying to explain, this is the wrong approach. Creating a web directory for promoting websites is what Google doesn't like. I would suggest you to do some research before posting such comments.

umairhp, Oct 14, 2014 IP
  12. suwandichen13

Best Answers:
    nah i guess you wrong on that..Why google doesn't like if i promoting other site with javascript banner , newsletter ?is that wrong? you think promoting other website always using dofollow link or live link ?

13. umairhp

umairhp Banned

Best Answers:
    umairhp, Oct 15, 2014 IP
  14. Web Directory Reviews Org

Best Answers:
    That was written in 2007, and things have changed considerably since then. Some of these directories are alive and well today. Although there may be some still relevant points made in that article, a lot of things that Google liked then, it dislikes now, and vice versa.

15. umairhp

umairhp Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes exactly but i wouldn't say that for "vice versa" because Google has gotten smarter and intelligent than before. So it doesn;t make any sense that it should start accepting black-listed and entirely promotional directories.

umairhp, Oct 15, 2014 IP
  16. Web Directory Reviews Org

Best Answers:
    That's not true. As I said, some of the directories that were on that list as being blacklisted were not entirely promotional, and are no longer blacklisted. When Google begins a campaign against whatever it is that it decides to target at a given time, innocents sometimes fall victim as well. Not all of the directories that are listed as being blacklisted then were deserving of it. Some of these may have closed rather than fighting for their existence, while others have rebounded. The first one on the list, Aviva Directory, was a fairly new directory then, but is one of the better ones on the Internet today.

17. dwhswebhosting

dwhswebhosting Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think so, the main purpose was to get links from them and now Google takes away rank for being on the smaller ones.

I think directories are a thing of the past.

dwhswebhosting, Oct 15, 2014 IP
  18. Web Directory Reviews Org

Best Answers:
    Google appears to disagree with you because while some directories have deservedly been penalized, others gained in the last update. Since there won't be any more updates, you may go on believing whatever you will, while I will avail myself of things that still make sense today.

19. umairhp

umairhp Banned

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't be surprised from your reply since you appear to be marketing a Web Directory website in your signature. And just to correct you, Aviva directory is not popular at all. You won't even see it on the first page SERPs on Google for the word "Aviva" so how can you say it's popular? I dont think spreading wrong information here is a good idea. I have attached this image just for your knowledge.
    [​IMG]

umairhp, Oct 17, 2014 IP
  20. gkd_uk

gkd_uk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you start a new directory, do keep in mind that you won't earn revenue straight away. Lots have launched new directories and given up within the year. Nothing comes easy.

gkd_uk, Oct 17, 2014 IP