1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it worth owning an Article Directory?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Smizzl, Jul 5, 2008.

I've been walking around with this question for a while. Does anyone has experience with owning an article directory? Is it worth it with monetization in mind? Does it make a couple of bucks a month? Or would you suggest not waste my time even considering this. :)

Thanks!

Smizzl, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "... a couple of bucks a month ..." never is enough to be or feel really useful to others, to your family or to society.
    may be a few additional zeros are needed - but never obtained from a site living from other ppls creativity.

a directory in general and article directory ( or both combined as some do ) requires far more than a couple of bucks a months OF YOUR TIME and RESOURCES to maintain and care for.

if you are WILLING to work, then you definitely may earn hundreds to thousands of $ a months from self created content. self created content FREE of any copyright infringement risk and free of any risk for duplicate content penalty, etc

IMO - a directory of any kind is an ADD ON service a site owner of an otherwise large and successful site MAY ADD to SERVE the community and to return some value TO the community.

hans, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  3. Smizzl

Smizzl Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, My question isn't clear? I'm not talking about a main income or what ever. I am talking about having an article directory in my portfolio of websites. I imagine the article directory owners don't own an article directory to serve their community and in it for karma or whatever. I might assume they make a bit of money out of it. So my question is how do they monetize it (prob adsense or something). Is this worth starting with monetization in mind? How much time do they spend on it per month/week/day or whatever?

Smizzl, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  4. infonetbizcom

infonetbizcom Guest

Best Answers:
    Find those that are in it already.I think they will be in best position to advise you.

infonetbizcom, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  5. Almut

Almut Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say that it's still possible to make a bit of money out of an article directory and I would even say that it's better than a link directory. AdSense should be always a possibilty for this or any other contextual ad program from AdBrite or Kontera or whatever. :)

The main problem is what can make your article directory better than the most? Is it perhaps only a niche? Is it that your article directory is connected with a link directory? Is it because you combine it with a specific community?

As always possible but also as always difficult too... :)

Almut, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  6. wordsofmousewriting

wordsofmousewriting Peon

Best Answers:
    I am currently working on building an article directory, so I will be interested to read others' responses. The directory will be for content in a specific niche rather than a generic directory. Right now, I am writing my own content. However, I am debating if I should allow others to submit articles. While hans brings up a good point in his post above, I see article directories as beneficial for content submitters as well as the directory owners. People who submit content can include links to their sites and improve traffic and credibility for themselves.

I plan on monetizing the directory with affiliate programs and AdSense, but not a lot of each on each page. I don't want it to be cluttered up and I really do want it to be seen as a resource for readers.

wordsofmousewriting, Jul 5, 2008 IP