1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it safe to sell my scripts??

Discussion in 'General Business' started by pangea, Jan 4, 2007.

I have a PHP script to sell for $XXX and want to protect my coding using some sort of encryption, but I found out today that people are claiming to be able to 'un'encrypt Zend and Ioncube (the market leaders) files easily.

Does that mean that anyone can read my source if they use these people's services?

Does anyone have alternative suggestions?? or should I just sell my scripts hosted - not disributed?

Doesnt that mean that all the encoded applications out there are at risk?

:eek:

pangea, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  2. nicknick

nicknick Peon

Best Answers:
    everything can be cracked or copied eventually. I'd worry more about marketing and selling than protecting the code. But I'm no expert so I hope you find a good solution to protect what's yours.

nicknick, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  3. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no "uncrackable" encoding. Best to establish yourself as a market leader and offer support, etc that someone else may not offer if the script is cracked. http://www.phpaudit.com also offers encoding.

drig, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  4. Chance

Chance Peon

Best Answers:
    The other drawback to encoding schemes is they require an extra piece of software installed on the host server where the script is going to be installed to "decode" the encoded code.

Zend Encoder I believe requires Zend Optimizer to decode, and IonCube requires the IonCube Decoder. While Zend Optimizer is fairly common on better hosting setups, not many hosts have installed the IonCube decoder.

Most hosting plans don't allow shell access to basic hosting customers (and even if they do there is a cold chance in heck of them allowing hosting ssh users to install programs) so installing the decoders / optimizers is impossible for most people. I believe IonCube has a php install system that requires a really scary "remote install over php" module to be active in your php.ini, and hardly any host has that enabled because of the security implications.

The fact is, if you are selling a script you should give up trying to keep people from reading it. People will buy your script because they don't know how to do something themselves, or they don't want to spend the time to custom code something from the ground up.

People who would steal your script wouldn't buy it from you anyway- they will just find something else they can get for free.

Chance, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  5. Software_outsourcing

Software_outsourcing Peon

Best Answers:
    I do agree with it . We should worry about marketing them and get the most of the product till it is copied.We cannot sit on the code and worry on its encryption and by the time we decide what is best , we realise that somebody else has come with similar code.

Software_outsourcing, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  6. Sam Granger

Sam Granger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd recommend to encrypt the code. Most scripts encoded with Zend, Ioncube or SourceGuardian don't get cracked. I use SourceGuardian for my scripts and nothing cracked so far! And you can use it to be locked to 1 domain etc...

However, I guess its impossible to make it 100% uncryptable. But it does help a lot! Guess you can offer to host your script inseatd but wouldnt really recommend doing this. Most people want a script to be running of their own server.

Sam Granger, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  7. pangea

pangea Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys -

I think Sam_Granger is right in saying no-one will like hosted applications. However, do you think open source has more appeal?

pangea, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  8. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    More people will buy the script wanting to use it than people wanting to crack it. Alot more. A whole lot more. So much more that you really should not care. Maybe %1 of people looking to buy a script want to buy it to get the source. Then if you find them you can sue. It really wont matter.

Open source with some instructions are nice.

D_C, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  9. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe if you can offer upgrade or special support to those that have legal copies,most people would paid for the script.

sbongo, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  10. pangea

pangea Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeh....I intend on bringing out frequent updates (probably quarterly), and of course I would only think of offering support to those who actually paid for the script.

The idea of opensource does also appeal since the php encoding systems are quite costly, and I am thinking of selling my script for only around $99 (this seems to be a round figure doesnt it? - all of my competition is about $245 so I hope to be easily able to break into the market).

pangea, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  11. Icheb

Icheb Peon

Best Answers:
    Uhm, open source is NOT visible source. :rolleyes:

Icheb, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  12. pangea

pangea Guest

Best Answers:
    icheb....

(or anyone)

if i licenced my software under 'visible source' would that work?

pangea, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  13. Icheb

Icheb Peon

Best Answers:
    "Visible source" is no "license". It's the fact that you can read the source code as opposed to it being encrypted.

Icheb, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  14. HumanIngenuity

HumanIngenuity Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been having the same problem with my script (gamescript.net) There are some idiots that keep popping out every so often claiming they have resell rights etc. The bottom line is, if microsoft cannot stop software piracy, you cannot either. If you cannot stand other people stealing your software, then you should not be in this business or if you are selling something expensive, make a hardware protection thingy then, but maybe you can crack those too.

HumanIngenuity, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  15. 501

501 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Does anyone happen to have a copy of ioncube :) I am looking for one if anyone anint using it or doesnt mind sharing :p

501, May 22, 2007 IP