1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it really too much to ask for an email from DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by MOG, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For a change Q just stick to the point and that was about sites, you love to twist things to your own pet subjects which have nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Anonymously, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for completely and totally ignoring the point of my post. Was that done because you can't debate the logic or just because you are not really here do discuss things?

Again, if editors are given a second chance, why aren't sites? DMOZ is certainly giving editors enough information to make it through the process the first time...and that is your reason for not letting submitters know. Because they should have read the guidelines? HA! Editors should have read the guidelines!

So now the logic stands that editors can get chance after chance after chance, but submitters have a one shot deal. Should this lead me to believe that DMOZ want's the best of the best of the best sites, or the best of the best of the best editors? Sounds like the real challenge is on the submitter, and that any tom dick or harry can make it as editor... so long as they try hard enough. How does that sound for making a quality directory... I mean, heh, submissions do not even need to be looked at, but by the gods they best be done right the first time! Though, I guess that does not really matter, not when a guy that failed his editor application fourteen times is the one reading the submission. I'm amazed he can even read. (and it's my logic that's silly :rolleyes:)

Qryztufre, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  3. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I will leave others to judge how silly those comments are.

Anonymously, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  4. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    revr is trolling Q and he wants that Mozzie Award for ambassadorship. But if I get to vote (of course I can't) My vote goes to RJ (That Texan Realtor :D).

Back to your question Q. If a site gets rejected chances are when it it is resubmitted it is still the same. There are still no changes to its content. Very rare in cases but I will re-review it in a year or two if I see it back. That WAS me and I don't know about the others.

popotalk, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  5. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Whoops he poopo-ed his pants again.

No you can't vote, no you can't return and see a site because obviously you were given the order of the golden boot, and whilst sometimes I have some doubts about the system for booting, people like poopo give me a great deal of confidence in it.:D

6. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    See how great a DMOZ edit all revr is, not considering that he is a servant of a church. I may have received the order of a golden boot but I haven't kissed anyones boot-ey and never will. Hows your lip formation did it ballooned to be a fine damn a$$ from kissing ODP a$$es ? :D

Btw, I can always get in if I like. I can even use an IP from India or anywhere in the world. ;)

Back on topic for the OP. I used to give some suggestions to website owners that I feel a site necessary to list in Regional.

7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Was that for money and how you got booted? Just asking.

Edit to add
    By lying and cheating, as I said it gives me confidence in our booting proceedures.

8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why do you ask revr ? Are you planning to make your edit all editorship a career ? If you ask if its for money you gotta think twice. Some of your editors might be listing sites for a few dollars but not here kid. Not me. That is one thing I can be proud of and I have a lot of that for working my a$$. Annie and Chuck might have an idea on that. My company does Mitigation and gets paid from by the Insurance companies. ;)
    Tell me besides cooking for free do you do other things ? Lets say giving something to charities like Bolton Hospice ? Or better have you done something for Hulkster's project for his kids Celiac Research, as after giving a good amount of donation, my company has been helping the research now constantly since it is right here in Baltimore and the office project manager calls me whenever there are projects. What about sponsorship for education ? I think I have about 7 kids that our company send to school in the Philippines.
    Good for your booting procedures it has flaws. :rolleyes:

9. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I'm confused by this.

Yes, but everything has flaws, it's an inescapable part of life. I think the booting procedures are almost as good as they could be, but they could use some improvement as we all know. Overall, I thinks it's better to mistakenly let a few good editors go now and then rather than loosen it up allowing the bad ones to stay. Weird, eh? ;)

compostannie, Jan 18, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  10. MOG

MOG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This seems to have gone a bit off thread.... Please look at my OP for what this is all about.

The infighting and b***ing above TOTALLY encapsulates what is perceived to be, and in my opinion actually wrong with the ODP.

In my opinion being an ODP editor is like beint a politician.

If you want to be one you should be precluded from ever actually being one.

MOG, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  11. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry MOG, I haven't posted in weeks. I only did here because my name was mentioned.

I'm out. :)

compostannie, Jan 18, 2008 IP
    MOG likes this.
  12. MOG

MOG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey absolutely no problem at all, nothing personal compostannie, I had no quarrel with anyone here on an individual basis,

but its just frustrating to have a good honest debate twist off into the world of personal agendas, which is 95% of the problem that we seem to have.

Im off to submit to be an editor and change DMOZ from the inside, seeing as I cant do it from here..... :D

MOG, Jan 18, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  13. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Probably the most proactive thing I have read in a while - good idea!

Alucard, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nice MOG I got approved again for quite some time now on a smaller category and moving up but thats ok. Wish you well on your application and good luck.

15. MOG

MOG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Alucard and Popotalk for the encouraging words, I have submitted twice in the past for my local category, but got rejected both times.

At least the editor rejections have an email response ;)

*** On the subject, who does the acceptances/rejections for my local category, is it a person who edits the parent category or is it random?***

Anwyay, look forward to trying to change things from the inside... and as a note: I WOULD send rejection emails to people that I reject. I think... :D

MOG

MOG, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Well done Mog, .

Meta editors may come along and comment, but for starters about applications. They are reviewed by Meta editors, which are some of the most senior editors we have, who may or may not be listed in the tree to which you apply, I recall a meta saying that they deal with new applications in areas in which they feel comfortable. I think that is similar to me saying that as an editall I can edit everywhere, but seeing that I have no knowledge of some sections of the directory, I would not edit there.

17. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No idea why they turned you down, maybe there's a minimum age requirement. Look sorta young in that picture.

Some get thru on the first try and suck as editors, some take several tries and do fine once in, some never pass the threshold. It's like boxing, you don't automatically lose the match by getting knocked down, you automatically lose it when you quit getting back up.

If it's something you want to do... Good luck. :)

robjones, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  18. xmcp123

xmcp123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok..to everyone complaining about not getting an e-mail.
    Seriously?
    If you check your backlinks, dmoz has enough power to show up at the top; you'll know.
    And beyond that, does it really matter?
    If you were fortunate enough to get in, you're getting the link juice. Do you really need the bragging rights that badly? Who cares! You got the link juice.

Oh yeah, and sometimes it takes over 2 years to get reviewed. How many people keep an e-mail address for 2 years? Many do, but many don't.
    The bounce messages would be insane.

xmcp123, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  19. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Well congratulations on becoming another ODP editor on here who won't be giving their editor name... :)

Alucard, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  20. ericfromandys

ericfromandys Peon

Best Answers:
    My site conforms to current guidelines, and it has not been accepted since I submitted it 5 1/2 years ago. Apparently I am still in the queue. What is unsettling is that without some sort of dmoz feedback, and with Anonymous' comment that I should assume I'm still in the queue based on my conforming website, it makes me think that the editor for the category relevant to my site is sleeping on the job, or doesn't care anymore about his role at dmoz and is inactive. Anonymous, what is a recommended course of action in this case?

ericfromandys, Jan 18, 2008 IP