1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it possible to loop through sub objects using a for in loop?

Discussion in 'JavaScript' started by WillyFR, Sep 28, 2016.

Hello,

I have an object containing several sub-objects. I was wondering if there is a way to loop through the subobjects starting from the wrapper object grid, all the way down to the deepest subobjects using a for in loop.

var grid = {
    A:{a:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},b:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},c:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},d:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},e:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},f:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},g:{shots:[],ennemies:[]}},
    B:{a:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},b:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},c:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},d:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},e:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},f:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},g:{shots:[],ennemies:[]}},
    C:{a:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},b:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},c:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},d:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},e:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},f:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},g:{shots:[],ennemies:[]}},
    D:{a:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},b:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},c:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},d:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},e:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},f:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},g:{shots:[],ennemies:[]}},
    E:{a:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},b:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},c:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},d:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},e:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},f:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},g:{shots:[],ennemies:[]}},
    F:{a:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},b:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},c:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},d:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},e:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},f:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},g:{shots:[],ennemies:[]}},
    G:{a:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},b:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},c:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},d:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},e:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},f:{shots:[],ennemies:[]},g:{shots:[],ennemies:[]}},
    }

I’d like to check wether the shots and ennemies arrays contain sth.

To do that I am currently using a long series of if/else if for each of the 49 possibilities : if if(grid.A.a.shots.length>0&&grid.A.a.ennemies.length>0), else if(grid.A.b.shots.length>0&&grid.A.b.ennemies.length>0),etc.

I am already using this :

for (var prop in obj){

console.log(obj[prop])

}

which returns only first depth of the grid object.

WillyFR, Sep 28, 2016 IP
  2. hdewantara

hdewantara Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi WillyFR.
    sth ? Anyways, I could do something like below using your grid var:

var totalShots = 0,
        totalEnnemies = 0;
    for(var i in grid){
      var subgrid = grid[i];
      for(var j in subgrid){
        totalShots += subgrid[j].shots.length;
        totalEnnemies += subgrid[j].ennemies.length;
      }
    }
    console.log('totalShots: ', totalShots);
    console.log('totalEnnemies: ', totalEnnemies);
    Code (JavaScript):
    But perhaps you'd enjoy many of built-in array features / functions though, if that grid were structured like:

var grid = [{
        name: 'A', 
        subgrid:[{
          name:'a', 
          shots:[], 
          ennemies:[]
        },{
          name:'b', 
          shots:[], 
          ennemies:[]
        },{
        }]