1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it possible to find the working method of a website?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Sean_murphy, Nov 29, 2016.

Hi all,

To be honest, I am quite irritated right now because I am not able to find the working method of an affiliate website. I am a marketer and I know html, wordpress and bit of other things, but I am not a programmer. My client asked me to check a website and work with him to create something similar. The site is thuttu dot com (sorry, can't put the domain link)

Now, when I looked at this website, I am not even able to understand a slight bit of it. I am quite sure that they are not updating the website manually, but how they are making it automated is far beyond my understanding. They are putting updates in every 5-7 minutes, not just 1 update, lot of updates round the clock. And, that is also from many websites.

Experts here might be able to help a bit, I have no other way to find this out.

Any kind of info would be helpful. Like, what kind of tech they might be using, are they using api's of big sites like amazon, ebay etc... in a particular way or they are just picking the data with scripts? I mean, I have to tell the client that what they are doing and what we should do to make something similar... etc..?

Kindly help guys... I will be very thankful... :)

Sean_murphy, Nov 29, 2016 IP
  2. Einheijar

Einheijar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Probably scraping through a whole bunch of other sites + APIs where available. After that just parsing and choosing what info to display

Einheijar, Nov 29, 2016 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    What is there not to understand? it's a bunch of affiliate links and it seems to only be for items that are discounted at the store. Bookbub send me an email with discounted books from Kobo, Amazon & Apple everyday, they'll be using a similar process. Thuttu probably have a cron job that runs every X minutes looking for new items on the store's inventory using rss or an api and inserts them into the database. They will have configured the feed to only select certain types of items and certain price points. I could code it in a morning.

sarahk, Nov 29, 2016 IP
  4. Sean_murphy

Sean_murphy Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply Sarah. I was not able to understand this concept because I am not a developer, just know marketing stuff. You are right, they must be picking certain type of items available at certain discount. But, I am not able to understand that how they are doing this for the websites with no api or rss available? Some of the websites from where they are pulling the deals do not have api or rss, those websites only provide banners for promotion purposes. Are they doing website scrapping for that? Because if they doing scrapping, then putting affiliate link will be difficult or may be impossible, isn't it?

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am not even near to your expertise in doing and understanding these things. But yes, learning every day with the help of experts like you :)

5. Sean_murphy

Sean_murphy Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you are right. They must be using api or may be scrapping. But, some of the websites from where they are pulling the deals do not have api or rss, those websites only provide banners for promotion purposes. If they doing scrapping, then putting affiliate link will be difficult or may be impossible, isn't it?

6. Einheijar

Best Answers:
    Some APIs may not be available to public.

Einheijar, Nov 29, 2016 IP
  7. Sean_murphy

Sean_murphy Member

Best Answers:
    You are right, that could be the case. And, is it possible to do this with scraping? I think it is not possible to put an affiliate link when you use scraping. Is that so?

Sean_murphy, Nov 30, 2016 IP
  8. Einheijar

Best Answers:
    That depends really, some sites offer global affiliates where you can just add in your referal ID. Can't say for certain without knowing the sites, you should do some research on those sites, or possibly just contact customer support and ask. Most sites are more than happy to oblige.

Einheijar, Nov 30, 2016 IP
  9. Sean_murphy

Sean_murphy Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, this solved my doubt about scraping.

Sean_murphy, Nov 30, 2016 IP