1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it possible that ebay is dead right now ?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by reality250, Jul 23, 2022.

The first 6 months this year I was focussed on sales (while having my eBay store still) but now I put more effort, listed new paintings and can't believe no one is buying.
    I am asking myself what else I can do? Where can I found out where to list, online I came across art -price, where I will pay 400EUR per year to list.
    Where else I also can list besides Etsy ?
    Every help is appreciated.

reality250, Jul 23, 2022 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    One word: amazon. Free returns? Free shipping? Yes, sir! It has taken business away from ebay, etsy, fb marketplace. Largely ebay has not changed over the past, I don't know, 20 years? Have you tried to sell with amazon? https://sell.amazon.com/

qwikad.com, Jul 24, 2022 IP
  3. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ebay, Mercari, OfferUp, Amazon, Whatnot. Selling directly through IG/FB. There are more ways than ever to sell your art.

cronik, Jul 24, 2022 IP
  4. Gamerseo

Gamerseo Member

Best Answers:
    Right, amazon is a really big competition.

Gamerseo, Jul 24, 2022 IP
  5. Gadgetz1

Gadgetz1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Right, Amazon is a major competitor.

Gadgetz1, Jul 25, 2022 IP
  6. MargoFarrel

MargoFarrel Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I agree, Amazon has many difficulties!

MargoFarrel, Jul 25, 2022 IP
  7. AyaanAg

AyaanAg Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try creating a webpage, do some basic local adverts and try selling your artwork.

AyaanAg, Jul 25, 2022 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  8. Peter Reinhard

Peter Reinhard Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Absolutely not. You get great traffic on ebay. The only problem is ebay doesn't really have any customer support so you have to watch carefully you don't get scammed. Basic things like check buyer “feedback left for others” and Google search address if it looks funny. If you take some precautions ebay can be great.

If you are a us seller dont even think about shipping internationally.

Peter Reinhard, Jul 26, 2022 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I was an eBay PowerSeller about 15 years ago. Had about 20,000 customers over 3 years. I watched two major things happen with them: 1.) they were overrun with Chinese manufacturers who were listing competitive items for $.01 (to drive out honest competition) and, 2.) eBay took an anti-seller, pro-buyer attitude to extremes like I had never seen. We pulled out after months of fighting both of these changes and stayed away for a few years. I did check back once (still quite a few years ago) and nothing had changed.

We were invited by Amazon (back when you had to be invited to sell on their platform) due to our eBay PowerSeller status, but only did it half-heartedly because we started to focus more on the B2B market for our products. Sold a little, but not much and they were fine to work with and, of course, back then it was by invitation only, so there were none of the shady Chinese manufacturers on the platform.

As a buyer, I go to Amazon first and only if I cannot find something there, do I consider eBay as a source, these days.

jrbiz, Aug 5, 2022 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  10. roald002

roald002 Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, ebay is dead, unfortunately it is not as popular as other ebay-like sites, but this is just my opinion, I don't know about other people

roald002, Aug 7, 2022 IP
  11. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I am still doing quite ok in ebay selling trading cards and stamps. I don't think it it dead. In fact, a large part of my business still comes from Ebay

wisdomtool, Aug 8, 2022 IP
  12. rick41

rick41 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's dead, maybe fewer people use it, but it's still coping and I think it will stay that way

rick41, Aug 10, 2022 IP
  13. sveind2

sveind2 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that ebay is not dead still a lot of people pay ebay I also still pay but also wages with other applications I think that ebay is better than paypal but only for me everyone has a different opinion

sveind2, Aug 29, 2022 IP
  14. Randall Magwood

Randall Magwood Active Member

Best Answers:
    Mercari is a good alternative and I've gotten many sales from them. They pay quick and are very flexible. And they let you know how much you're going to profit on every sale before you list your item. Many people's ebay sales have declined this year, so a good alternative is Mercari.

Randall Magwood, Oct 5, 2022 IP
  15. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I work with an artist for some of the custom art I need, and I am always trying to see her latest portfolio, and its just so scattered that it likely is costing her business.
    You can setup a website, or if not, set up an Instagram account to promote your work. Then if you do make sales on ebay, etsy, (amazon), etc, you can include a flyer with a bit about you, maybe a qr code and links to your portfolio. It SHOULD link to a url that you own and control, and you can divert this to your instagram account. This method means that if in 10 years time you no longer use instagram, but a different website, you can change the redirect of the domain you control to the new location. The marketing materials, even old are then still current.
    There are artist friendly communities where you can proudly boast off your latest work. Imgur, for example, has many talented artists that share photos of their work, and they put in links to their pages (website, or insta) at the bottom, and in some cases, if everyone loves your work, you get instant exposure to 10k people, that love your work.
    Here is a random example from imgur https://imgur.com/gallery/y692Aw7 (much better examples, but meh)

matt_62, Oct 5, 2022 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  16. outrefranc

outrefranc Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends a lot of the country. Ebay's very strong in some countries, but it's disappearing in others. It has never been everywhere, and I thinl it has decided to give up business in some places, to concentrate where it's strong.

outrefranc, Oct 21, 2022 IP
    jrbiz likes this.