1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it possible for a 17 year old to start a business?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by lolage, Oct 17, 2008.

Hey, im curently studing IT at college and am very much into making money online.

I do have 2 part time jobs at the moment bringing in around $120/week. I am doing this so when i come to apply to uni's and future jobs my CV looks half decent.

However, would it look good on my CV if i stopped working part time but opened my own business?

Is this even possible for an 17 year old?

Thanks! :)

lolage, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  2. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It wouldn't necessarily look better on your CV than working for someone else. Prospective employers want to know if you can work with other people, and take instruction. Also, you can get references from past employers - if you've been working for yourself, you can't give yourself a reference.
    If you're purely doing it for the sake of how it would look on your resume, ask around infomally, maybe friends of your parents who take on employees, and your schools career service, because from my personal experience, I would say it's not always a good thing to have on your CV.

magda, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  3. lolage

lolage Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, okay.

Thanks for the post. I see where your coming from, maybe i could do both at the same time? But then again, working full time with college & 15 hr's on part time jobs may be too much?

lolage, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  4. glendowney

glendowney Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its a hard one to call, if you started your own business and became quite succesful with it, and future employers saw that you had your own business (opened when you was 17 etc) they'd maybe be impressed and see you as someone who can use their iniative and it could work in your favor.

However, it would in my opinion be better to stick with the part time jobs, because as magda says you can get references from previous employers when needed and it just looks better if you have had work experience and shows people your willing to work than just sit at home doing nothing.

glendowney, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  5. lolage

lolage Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, okay. I started part time work when i was 15, so might aswell carry on to do so. Maybe making money will still be my hobby. Not my business?

lolage, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  6. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anything positive looks good on a CV but I wouldn't just start a business to show off, if you are looking to start a business only do it as carer path.

Seqqa, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  7. ceweqsakti

ceweqsakti Banned

Best Answers:
    yes.it is possible
    u are same with me
    iam 17 years old
    but still senior high school

u can make" making money " for your hobby

ceweqsakti, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  8. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    I would say it's definately worth starting a business. As you're only 17 you still have loads of time to expand and possibly set up a business that could get you through Uni without the hefty fees that are attached nowadays. At the same time, it will show that you are enthusatic about business on your CV, but at the same time it wont give you a reference. How about staying at your job for a bit, getting a reference then starting a business?

But actually, whether it is suitable to start a business really depends on what business you're interested in starting?

kiteguy123, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  9. Dele

Dele Active Member

Best Answers:
    For someone as young as you are I personally commend you keep it up

Dele, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  10. lissie

lissie Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if you started a successful business you may well find you don't need a career - or the degree - just a thought.

lissie, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  11. OffshoreProcessing

OffshoreProcessing Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont let anyone here knock you down. Of course, you can do anything your heart desires, just put your mind to it and work hard. Good things will happen. Sorry to sound vague, but its the truth. Keep it up young buddy.

OffshoreProcessing, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  12. chasthrpr

chasthrpr Peon

Best Answers:
    I work with teenagers for a living. Start your business.

chasthrpr, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  13. Midwest

Midwest Banned

Best Answers:
    I am 13 currently hitting 100$+ daily. Today I declined the biggest corporation from the country I live the be chief of internet marketing team. If you don't achieve that then do whatever :D

Midwest, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  14. SonnyCooL

SonnyCooL Peon

Best Answers:
    suggest u go for business, u learn real world stuff,value of money and art of communication, no worry on future CV, cause none of ur boss will see it as a negative point even without reference, ur own business only make u out standing and stronger (ask ur self how many of 17 boy is doing own business ?) ......

SonnyCooL, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  15. BMX

BMX Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Of course you can. Why not?

BMX, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  16. pbweb

pbweb Peon

Best Answers:
    I started a business at 18 and it failed miserably. That said, it led to my first job, so as long as you're smart with your finances, it can't hurt and can definitely open doors.

pbweb, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  17. Bigman012

Bigman012 Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep in mind that you cannot sign a legal document until you reach the age of majority in your province/state, which is usually 18-21. If your business is 100% online it shouldn't be a problem, depending on what you want to do.

Bigman012, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  18. chrizz_msweb

chrizz_msweb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If u can do it now, why wait?

chrizz_msweb, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  19. ceemage

ceemage Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Main issue is that you'll have problems doing anything contractual (even as simple as, for instance, opening a Paypal account). So you may have to drag a parent or guardian in for things like that.

But, other than that, I wish you all the luck in the world.

ceemage, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  20. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lightless, Oct 17, 2008 IP