1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it OK to reload often? Not auto...

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by perpuma, Oct 11, 2005.

Hello,

I have yet another adsense TOS question.

I have a small site where people rank different pages. Currently, there is a list of a few pages on a content page with adsense. To rank a page, they click on "rate" it goes to another empty page (no adsense), they enter their ranking, and then they are returned to their original page with adsense on it.

I want to change the process so that they can "rank" from the original page, and then the content page will automatically reload with a new calculated average rating for a link.

My only concern is, if I get this working right, it will be possible to rank and then reload diffent things on the same content page many times very quickly. So there is no deception or anything going on, but one user may cause many reloads and perhaps many different ad impressions. I suspect google wouldn't like this, but I'm not sure if it's against their TOS.

Thanks a lot for any thoughts or help. One other thing I'm curious about is if there are already other major pages that are similar...

perpuma, Oct 11, 2005 IP
  2. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    I would put this question to Google. As an alternative to reloading you could look at using AJAX.

dct, Oct 11, 2005 IP
  3. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    There was some additional terminology added to the TOS a few months ago regarding impressions. Might want to look through it and see... Although I don't think what you are doing would be a problem, unless a single ip was getting 20 refreshes in a minute.

aeiouy, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  4. Jafar Calley

Jafar Calley Peon

Best Answers:
    This is something I would worry about as well since I refresh my site often during the development process or when I update a page on my site which is daily. Since I use a text editor called vim, my 'wysiwyg' is by using a regular browser to refresh the page once I change it.
    I just assumed Google was able to filter out such refreshes from the site owner or am I totally wrong?

Jafar Calley, Oct 15, 2005 IP
  5. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    It's quite clear in the TOS or policy that it is against the TOS to generate invalid impressions. I think therefore, in your case, I would seek clarification from google specific to your site.

mcfox, Oct 15, 2005 IP
  6. greenway

greenway Guest

Best Answers:

greenway, Oct 15, 2005 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think it just means "here is another AdSense question", not necessarily "another one posted by me"...

minstrel, Oct 15, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting question, though. I recall a dispute with a then WPW moderator (who has since left) about something or other in which she was claiming she couldn't have missed seeing something because she had her browser set to refresh every 5 minutes or so on the forum index page. Now that I think of it, if you've visited that forum you know that it is ultra heavy on the banner ads and text ads. All those refreshes every 5 minutes, if true, must have been costing their poor advertisers quite a bit of money...

minstrel, Oct 15, 2005 IP