1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it legal to copy another STORY of news on another website?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Andrew B12, May 3, 2016.

Hi All,

I am brand new here, and I have a quick question - I am thinking of starting my own news website, and I wanted to ask, say for example I see another news website display that "2 lions were found murdered"... Can I write about this situation in my complete own words? Like I am the author and journalist? Not copying any quotes or any phrases from the original owner?

Thanks in Advance,
    Andrew

Andrew B12, May 3, 2016 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. Of course you can. One person may break something news worthy but the rest of the planet is simply doing what you are proposing to do.

N.

Nigel Lew, May 3, 2016 IP
  3. mimi morah

mimi morah Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's wrong to use someone Else's news. If you should, then you either have to rewrite it in your own words, or link back to the original source of the article.

mimi morah, May 3, 2016 IP
  4. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    spinning articles is not cool... like above said, write the article in your own words

or find an RSS feed you can legally put on your site... only bad thing with RSS feed is clicking will take them away from your site

pmf123, May 7, 2016 IP
  5. smsilverman2

smsilverman2 Member

Best Answers:
    As stated above, you must both write the news in your own words if there is no information about the news organizations' copyright sharing policies. Every written work is protected by copyright. You would be infringing on that copyright if you copy and paste the article in any attempt to make it your own or profit from it. It is solely the authors' to profit from. Hope this helps!

smsilverman2, May 9, 2016 IP
  6. Kaas

Kaas Member

Best Answers:
    What you describe here is definitely not illegal.

Kaas, May 10, 2016 IP
  7. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its not illegal, but I would rather suggest you to give a link of the original post, at the end of your article. This way people will know that you are a genuine writer and not a copy master. Infact if you write well, people would like your article if you have expressed it better than the original article.

China_girl, May 11, 2016 IP
  8. seoaceindia

seoaceindia Banned

Best Answers:
    not its not legal simply link back with his original source and you can keep continue.

seoaceindia, May 11, 2016 IP