1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it just me or is DMOZ horrible.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by tigrrra, Jul 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whose crying about anything?
    But for your information as an editall I can edit anywhere in the directory that gives me access to over 4 million listed sites and all the suggested ones too, now just say that again about looking after my category will you? If you don't know what you are talking about don't talk and don't you cry when you are put right.
    And if you think you might be the one to take any editors place, then press the offer as an editor button, pass the test and do it. Truth is that we could do with a couple a hundred thousand more editors and then suggestions might get handled in a sensible time. Any editor leaving just makes the process slower.

Anonymously, Jul 30, 2013 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If anyone is unhappy with the service that they are being provided by DMOZ, then try and ask for a refund.

Agent000, Jul 30, 2013 IP
  3. tigrrra

tigrrra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Just because you are a volunteer don't mean you can slack. Why worry about 4 million links? Worry about your own category. The whole point of having people volunteer per category is that exact reason.

Anyways... I don't plan to apply don't have the time. However I would be willing to pay $5, $10, $20 to get my link approved on DMOZ. Maybe the directory grew too big for its own good and its time to re-think what and how it provides its services.

Broken links and poor quality is working against what DMOZ was originally created for.

tigrrra, Jul 30, 2013 IP
  4. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Wooooo!! Time for an attitude adjustment!

What if someone volunteers at a soup kitchen one day a month .... Are you going to bag them and call them slack as they don't do it two days a month!
    DMOZ provide no services! You have quite a distorted perception of the reality of what DMOZ is. You fallen for the straw man fallacy.

5. SliceOfLife

SliceOfLife Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I don't know what kind of agreement the volunteers of DMOZ have, but I highly doubt that it's "do something sometimes, even once a year". I know there is most likely no times set in stone like in any 9-to-5 paid position, but I agree that it still doesn't mean that one should just slack and maybe approve/disapprove something only now and then.

If someone was working only one day (8 hours) a month at DMOZ I guess they'de get more of the job done than what gets done nowadays.

SliceOfLife, Jul 30, 2013 IP
  6. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Even if they only add one site a yr the project is better off than it would have been if they were not an editor. Only doing one edit a yr is not affecting anyone else doing their volunteer.

I just do not understand why so many complain about the service they are getting from DMOZ when DMOZ owes them nothing, let alone any sort of "service".

7. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Back to the OP; it is kind of ironic that you call DMOZ horrible. What about your site - it only consists of a few pages about your web design business; no real information of any value. Why would DMOZ even want to list it? Of what value would it be it the relevant DMOZ category for the surfer if you were listed? Would the category increase in value if your site was listed?

DMOZ is not a listing service for webmasters (that you are complaining about it not being!); it is there to provide a category of useful resources.

8. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Very true. Free is free. Take it or leave it.

qwikad.com, Jul 30, 2013 IP
  9. tigrrra

Best Answers:

Please go to this category: http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Web_Design_and_Development/Designers/Basic_Service/W/

and you tell me if half of those websites belong there :). I'm not complaining that its a webmasters playground. Im complaining of the quality of the websites that are listed.

tigrrra, Jul 30, 2013 IP
  10. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please explain what you mean by quality.

jimnoble, Jul 30, 2013 IP
  11. tigrrra

Best Answers:
    Just a few examples:
    http://thewebdemon.tripod.com/webdemon/
    http://www.thewebimage.com/
    http://thewebmason.tripod.com/
    http://www.the-white-rabbit.com/

It seems to me that most of the websites are very old, accepted years ago and no one has recently visited them. Some sites are expired, broken links and re-directs. I know its hard enough keeping up with all the submissions but it seems that accepted sites are being forgotten about.

There has to be a better way of monitoring accepted websites.

tigrrra, Jul 31, 2013 IP
  12. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Did you report them via the update URL link?

Agent000, Jul 31, 2013 IP
  13. alek

alek Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes he is right here. Now DMOZ do not have much weight in SEO.

alek, Jul 31, 2013 IP
  14. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We have patrolling robots to find expired, broken links and re-directs and they generally move such sites out of the public pages for editorial review.

I've looked at all the examples you gave and three, whilst pretty basic, appear to be viable websites. The other is no longer offering its services and has been delisted.

If you think that particular topic is important, why not volunteer to be part of the solution (but not for that cat because it's too large for a beginner)? Personally, I don't because it's primarily only of use to people determined to hire a web developer, any web developer, beginning with the letter W. I doubt if they exist :).

jimnoble, Jul 31, 2013 IP
  15. khemraj

khemraj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, it is not. still accepting new entries.

khemraj, Jul 31, 2013 IP
  16. pupul

pupul Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Really, How can you say that? All says dmoz not accepting new entries
    Also I have seen many quality websites are not approved, yet some crap sites are approved.
    May be by bribing some editor there.:D Yeah, I agree with this.

pupul, Jul 31, 2013 IP
  17. brainwork

brainwork Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have also applied for Dmoz listing but not getting approved. May be there is no place for new listing.

brainwork, Jul 31, 2013 IP
  18. Agent000

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is still the fastest growing directory on the web. Where are you getting your info from that its not accepting new entries? You are just making it up. Why would you do that for?
    This yr DMOZ has grown from 5,114,083 sites listed on 1 Jan to 5,223,457 today - even with all the sites deleted, that a net increase of almost 110 000 sites in 7 months! Thats awesome! What other directory is coming close to growing that fast?

19. pupul

pupul Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So they have started again. Then I'll give it a test.

pupul, Jul 31, 2013 IP
  20. Agent000

Best Answers:
    No they have not started again. They never stopped. You just believed the propaganda and rhetoric from disgruntled webmasters in forums who were expecting some sort of service and did not get it. Better to deal in facts from the source. Monitor the number of listed sites that are at the bottom of the home page.

If you have already submitted your site before, don't stupidly submit it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.