1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is It Immoral To Sell What You Haven't Tried?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Benjamin Scott, Jul 3, 2020.

There are hundreds of affiliate networks to choose from and as an affiliate marketer it's easy to pretty much sell anything.
    SEMrush
    Is it important for you to try the product first?

Or do you possibly just promote products from marketers you trust if you haven't used the product or service.

Or maybe you just feel it's immoral to sell something you haven't tried.

Are there any guiding factors that help you in deciding what products or services you promote?

Benjamin Scott, Jul 3, 2020 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
    SEMrush
  2. seomanualsubmission

seomanualsubmission Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    According to me ......... In affiliate marketing first of all peoples are looking for products which can give him good commission.

Second your niche market ... For example if you will list any medical products on marketing related niche means result will be about 0%. So choose products of related niche market with good commission ......... as you can see SEMRUSH ads at DP because its related to marketing niche and giving also good commission.

So i think it not necessary that we try first any products and then sell online to earn. In affiliate marketing we are just making a bridge between product manufacturer or services provider and buyer ... and for this we get commission, so i think responsibility is completely on product manufacturer or services provider.

seomanualsubmission, Jul 3, 2020 IP
  3. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In a way, yes its immoral.
    You are giving false reviews, false recommendations to your website visitors.
    But then you cannot go on trying 100 products yourself before you pitch 5-6 to someone else.
    However, most affiliate networks have refund options and if the customer is not satisfied, then they can get a refund. You lose your commission too.
    So if you are tricking people into buying something really useless, and customers keep taking refunds, then its really you who is losing your advertising dollar and effort.

When I used to do affiliate marketing, I used to sign up to the newsletter of the seller.
    Most of the times they explain their product and its benefits in that for a long duration of time, so you get an idea of the product.
    Plus you also get to understand the seller themselves, their knowledge, their skill.
    Sometimes, you even get a very special deal via newsletter, like a short time trial for a dollar or so. You get to try the product here.

JEET, Jul 3, 2020 IP
    jrbiz and seomanualsubmission like this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am not an affiliate marketer and never have been. However, I have been selling products that I have never used for over 30 years. Nothing immoral about it. Of course, I freely admit that the products/services I sell are too complex or otherwise unusable by someone like me. I am usually selling stuff that I can barely understand to highly trained engineers, scientists, analysts, etc. So, what I am trying to point out is that morality lies around how you present the product/service to the buyer. If you do not misrepresent yourself or the product/service, there is nothing immoral about the sales transaction.

jrbiz, Jul 4, 2020 IP
    seomanualsubmission and JEET like this.
  5. srarlievs1122

srarlievs1122 Peon

Best Answers:
    The smart answer would be "Don't think about it." The right answer would be "It depends." It can't be denied that a huge part of business hovers around grey areas. If you want to make sure that you cause the least amount of damage, though, researching the products you are promoting can often be enough. You don't necessarily need to try it yourself if you have other people's experiences and some reviews to find out.

srarlievs1122, Jul 7, 2020 IP
  6. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well you need to give to people real value because they are your customers that they like you and trust you .Lets supose you sell good products to people and people are very satisfied and they like you .But you decide to sell to people a product that you dont know nothing ,and your product its shit .Then people will be very disapointed and they said ,i need to stop buying from this man he totaly scammed me .So its the same in online marketing

Spartan14, Jul 7, 2020 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Um, I am not sure that "Don't think about it" is a smart answer to just about any business question. ;)

jrbiz, Jul 7, 2020 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    My limited experience with affiliate marketing is centered around weight loss products. You don't have to have tried it but if you're going to say that "it works", "best method ever" etc you have to have a decent understanding of the product and how it compares to the alternatives and mainstream options.

If you're just selling physical items that can be seen and evaluated it is probably less important that you've never seen or used the physical product.

sarahk, Jul 7, 2020 IP
  9. zoink59

zoink59 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not always. Even major brands such as Apple, Adidas, and Bloomingdales have affiliate marketing programs. These companies have established reputations in their markets, good consumer protection policies in place, and a loyal following for their brands. The average customer knows what they are buying so I don't see any immoral bent in helping them buy products they already know and want to use. The difficult part is qualifying to be an affiliate for one of these highly respected brands. Typically you need a high traffic website with content that is relevant to their product/service.

So, bottom-line, no I do not think it is immoral to promote something you have not personally tried but I do think it is important to perform due diligence before promoting anything.

Having said that, I do think it's immoral to eat chocolate ice cream in front of a person who is dieting. Don't get me started on that...

zoink59, Jul 7, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It would be worse if it was chocolate chip ice cream, but point well taken! :)

jrbiz, Jul 8, 2020 IP