1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it illegal to bring bulk traffic into Adsense?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by Kiasuman, Jul 19, 2005.

If i were to purchase bulk traffic from traffic brokers, would it go against Adsense's TOC? Any ideas?
    SEMrush

Kiasuman, Jul 19, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Not as far as I know, unless it was all coming from the same IP (In which case you'd most likely get banned).

If it's just generic traffic though, don't expect to make much cash.

SEbasic, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  3. rjhere

rjhere Banned

Best Answers:
    In most cases, yes it would be.. I read it is against either program policies or tos to have ads on a popup or a popunder which is what most traffic brokers do.

rjhere, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  4. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    He's buying the traffic - not displaying the ads on popups.

SEbasic, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  5. TooHappy

TooHappy Guest

Best Answers:
    There is no question that it will generate a ton of dollars, but you can guarantee that your site will be flagged and reviewed by the Adsense monitors at Google!

If the traffic is legit, you have nothing to worry about except what you’ll do with your extra revenue. If the traffic is other then legit, you’ll likely get the axe!

Now, the question is, what are some good traffic generating sources?

TooHappy, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  6. rjhere

rjhere Banned

Best Answers:
    Most traffic brokers USE popups or popunders to display your page. Some do not, but the majority of them do. So the bottom line is if its one of these then your page with adsense will be on a page enclosed in a popup/popunder.

BTW, this doesn't work.. I've been there done that a while back. All it does is increase your impressions and decrease your CTR. Don't know if CTR is taking into consideration when determining CPC but for me it did have an effect where my overall cpc dropped for a bit.

rjhere, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  7. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    You can buy traffic from anywhere you want it ain't got nothing to do with Google.
    You can't put adsense on popups/popunders that's all there is to that.
    Google couldn't give two hoots how you get traffic to your site. The difficult bit is getting users to click on the popunders/ups so that they enter the site propper.

jlawrence, Jul 19, 2005 IP
    SEbasic likes this.
  8. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    :rolleyes:

Right.... That's the way it works.

SEbasic, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  9. Kiasuman

Kiasuman Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, the traffic I'm buying are coming from expired domains, they do have their own IP but "Links from an external page" comes from one address.

My page is legit, no doubt about it, but what happens if Google flags my account?

Kiasuman, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  10. thuiswerk

thuiswerk Peon

Best Answers:

thuiswerk, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  11. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    OR... if the traffic broker is using a spidering system to simulate traffic and pushing it through a number of proxies, I imagine google would be able to spot that too and potentially boot you.

Ask a lot of questions before you buy any traffic. If they don't give you straight answers, you know to stay away. I've purchased traffic back when I was a newbie and it was pretty lame and a waste of money. Adsense and Overture are real solutions that will produce real quality targetted traffic. Expired domains may provide some decent traffic, but I'd push to ensure that everything is on the up and up.

nevetS, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  12. pchere

pchere Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess google would always get suspicious if there is sudden sustained spurt of traffic.

pchere, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  13. Kiasuman

Kiasuman Peon

Best Answers:
    The main point of buying traffic is to populate the site, hopefully a percentage of that traffic will bookmark the page, but in the same time, google adsense can compliment some revenue.

I'm still not sure what google would go about tis.

Kiasuman, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  14. smilyspirit

smilyspirit Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are trying to get traffic to "popularize" your link and try to improve your google ranking not going to happen. If you have an alexa ranking of near 100,000 most "brokered traffic" isn't going to help either unless your server can handle 2,000,000 visits a day or more and you can afford to span out to several different brokers. Finally this is "junk traffic" and only has value up to a certain point as far as alexa ranking goes. The other thing to consider is that if you use analytics this is going to exponentially increase your bounce rate which can cause degradation to any rank you have achieved. As far as getting banned from adsense not likely to happen wiht brokered traffic. You would be better served paying an SEO company to build relevant backlinks to your site and ask as many questions as possible as you need to handle it with care too many links too fast will throw up red flags. Sorry but there is no shortcut to quality traffic unless you can turn "junk traffic" into real visits.

smilyspirit, Oct 28, 2010 IP
  15. DavidAnthony

DavidAnthony Peon

Best Answers:
    As far as my understanding goes and correct me if I'm wrong, you can throw as many traffic as you can to the website/blog, but it should be "Natural" traffic, it shouldn't be the result of some Illegal false automatic traffic generating tool.

I too use many methods to drive traffic to my blog "natural" as well as with the help of a software, But it's legal and known to big G.

DavidAnthony, Oct 29, 2010 IP
  16. smilyspirit

smilyspirit Peon

Best Answers:
    When I first signed up for google adsense, it said traffic that was generated by software or bots was not allowed, it also said that using adsense on a website in traffic exchanges was prohibited. As I read prohibited use is says that clicks generated by bots, software or optimization services are prohibited. So it may not be illegal to generate traffic(just clicks) by paying brokers or by bots but if you read further down if you generate traffic to your site and there isn't a reasonable number of clicks per impressions on your ad-sense accounts google can at it's discretion terminate your account.

So again, no it isn't illegal to use adsense on sites that you are paying to have traffic generated to, however junk traffic can result in termination of your account for having too many impressions and not enough clicks. This is read from their terms today and since I'm unable to post links to them as of yet, just read their prohibited use section on their TOS

smilyspirit, Oct 29, 2010 IP
  17. nickspain

nickspain Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes i can see the argument from both sides

you want traffic thats good for your site , ha we all do,and there is no doubt that Google is good for monetizing your site but it is only one way, a better way is putting original content on your site then you will get some pr ( page rank ) then Google will send you more traffic natural , I know you dont want to wait until then. well then you only have one option pay for traffic but use a traffic provider thats been around for a while, most traffic websites only last 1 year.
    another good point to make here is relating to Alexa, we all pay to much attention to Google, looking at lowering your Alexa score can really help with monetizing your website, well you know that Google has Alexa score of 1 right, and facebook has an Alexa score of 2 , well who would not like a banner on the front page of either one of them, Ok Ok I dont think that there are many sites out there that could get that many visitors to do that well.
    but buying traffic can Lower your Alexa score, if you ask me to prove it to you i can......My website had an Alexa score of 8,000,000 in 8 days of me sending my Alexa traffic I had lowered it to under 3,000,000 and its still going down.
    I am trying to get it down to under 500,000 lets see how long it takes. every day i am putting my new Alexa score in my side bar so it will be documented ....oh yes i still want page rank and it will come as my content is good,
    when i get pr3 or 4 then i will slow down on the paid traffic, but i have no doubt its helping me with sales and the affect its having on my Alexa Score can not be doubted.

Regards Nick Traffickiss.com

nickspain, Jan 30, 2011 IP
  18. smilyspirit

smilyspirit Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes buying traffic will help again only to a certain point in Alexa But from experience in doing this. Once you get to the 400,000 mark you. The results will not be as dramatic unless you can get more than 5000 hits a day and afford to sustain it and if your hosting provider can handle it. You forget about shared hosting and quotas. Even with dedicated hosting if you throttle their cpu too much an internal 500 error will occur. Once you get around the 100,000 mark you need more than 7000 visitors a day all unique. Problem with this most traffic brokers don't have that kind of speed of delivery and most shared hosting plans cannot keep up. So the best thing to do I like you said get some pr. But even with pr that's a false sense of security. While pr is still alive and kicking I have seen pr0 sites ranked number one for many competitive keywords I have seen sites ranked 8 million with pr0 rank number one for competitive keywords. It all boils down to kick a** SEO.

smilyspirit, Jan 30, 2011 IP
  19. smilyspirit

smilyspirit Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is what I am talking about , a paid traffic campaign through the 1st through 19th of January 2011

jacobsladderonline.com/images/traffic.PNG you'll have to paste this in your browser
    not allowed to post links yet

Notice I am getting tons of hits but look at the ration of visits(those are unique)
    Problem with paid campaigns is the deliver a lot of hits but a very poor ratio to unique visits.
    this is also on a site with adsense installed
    During this campaign only 3 clicks were recorded. To even make adsense payoff I would have to have
    5 times these numbers for it to be even close to effective meaning I would have to have 5 different brokers
    sending the same amount of traffic

My site is currently ranked 401,000 in alexa but when I use brokers now somehow my alexa score rises.

smilyspirit, Jan 30, 2011 IP
  20. AStateOfLogic

AStateOfLogic Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldnt think so. As other have said as long as the ads arent in popup or unders.

AStateOfLogic, Jan 30, 2011 IP