1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it hard to get your site listed in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Simply101, Jan 23, 2008.

1. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I really don't understand why this directory is such a big deal for people and why the editors are like bouncers at the front door of a night club.
    The only people that even know that DMOZ exists are webmasters. If you ask your average friend who is not in the web business about it, their response is "The what ?"...ie: the average consumer.

So I don't get it. It doesn't boost your PR (as if that matters), it doesn't bring any significant traffic, it doesn't really boost the value of your site for resale.....it's just a directory.

Can anyone explain why people are pulling their hair out about it? When was the last time you logged into DMOZ to search for a site, over Google, Yahoo, or MSN ?

How many people search in restricted environment where it is up to humans to decide what site should be available for you to see ?

I have never seen anything more ridiculous than this thread, and this whole section of the forum.

It's like a bunch of 13 year old girls stressing out about why they didn't get invited to a party.

After years in this business, I still don't get what is so important about it anymore.

hmansfield, May 7, 2009 IP
    syted likes this.
  2. gino

gino Member

Best Answers:
    the traffic is not even worth it

gino, May 8, 2009 IP
  3. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    ROFL :D :D

makrhod, May 9, 2009 IP
  4. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Totally agree, how many threads does their need to be on this topic. The only good thing about the dmoz forum is that it stops all of these posts being in the 'directories' forum which has enough misplaced posts to deal with.

syted, May 9, 2009 IP
  5. WendyIMC

WendyIMC Member

Best Answers:
    I suspect that unless you are an editor for DMOZ or have connections with one your sites have little chance of being listed.

WendyIMC, Jul 13, 2009 IP
  6. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    A common but completely erroneous belief, based on the mistaken idea that editors are interested only in suggestions made by other people. For example, just yesterday I listed about 20 sites, none of them suggested by their owners, and hundreds of other editors were doing the same thing. :)

makrhod, Jul 13, 2009 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not all that liked in most ODP inner circles and have had 2 sites listed, one of which I didn't submit. Though, being liked certainly has it's perks ;)

Qryztufre, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  8. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    This smells like favoritism and conflict of interests you should be investigated and removed just in case. :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  9. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I like ya, Q, though you can be a little irritating at times, :D.

crowbar, Jul 16, 2009 IP