1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it hard to get your site listed in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Simply101, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    But how is a webmaster to know whether or not a site is listable? The guidelines are just that, guidelines... many pages have been listed that do NOT fit the guidelines, and there are several sites out there that have been submitted that do fit the guidelines yet no one knows the status of. How simple is that?

Stand behind the guidelines when it suits you, say they are "just guidelines" when it does not.

And whether a 3rd party site does status checks is neither here nor there... it's not an official answer, never has been and never will be. So not much of a use there.

Qryztufre, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  2. digitalextrememediagroup

digitalextrememediagroup Peon

Best Answers:
  3. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    It says up to two weeks OR MORE... which translates to something "any time now, till never".

She also already answered your second question: if the suggestion is listable but not yet listed, then it is awaiting review. (which pretty much falls down to, it's either been rejected or it's still sitting in the queue and will be there for up to two weeks or more) ;)

4. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    It's very simple indeed. Just read the Site Selection Criteria.

makrhod, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

So, webmasters are required to read the editing guidelines?

It pretty much falls down to the last bit on the ADD page (which is the only real required reading for a submitter)
    Well, not the LAST bit... the last bit says: The Open Directory team welcomes comments and feedback about the directory generally. Please let us know what you think, and how we can improve the service. Thanks!

And there is no real means of feedback, as the only place for discussion is a 3rd party site, and the only means of emailing editors is FUBAR. *shrug* Though, I'm tickled to see that the ODP is a service :p

6. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Well yes of course, deciding if your site is listable should be the first part of the process of suggesting it!
    What on earth is the point of wasting everyone's time by suggesting a site which you already know is not listable?:confused:

In the very likely event that members here have not read the advice, let me quote from "How to suggest a site to the Open Directory":
    Seems like a very logical first step to me, but one which is way too often skipped.

makrhod, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  7. scottgrace25

scottgrace25 Peon

Best Answers:
    It has been 4 months now and still no luck in getting listed AND they have not sent me anything saying that they would not list me in there. I submitted a second site last month that is a little more unique and nothing with that one either!

scottgrace25, May 2, 2009 IP
  8. HBIC

HBIC Peon

Best Answers:
    .. and still no luck in getting listed
    I don't think luck has anything to do with being accepted for DMOZ.

.. they have not sent me anything saying that they would not list me in there
    I have seen editors writing that they do not send messages when a site is not listed.

.. that is a little more unique
    I always thought that something is either unique or not unique. How can something be more unique. Sounds the same as "a little bit pregnant". It either is or it isn't. Nothing in between.

HBIC, May 2, 2009 IP
  9. geula4

geula4 Peon

Best Answers:
    IMHO, it does take some time untill the editors view suggested sites. Although, 4 months does seem a lot of time to wait!

geula4, May 2, 2009 IP
  10. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    As I just wrote in the next-door thread
    So there are no time frames involved, and no correspondence would be useful. Your suggestions are welcome, and someone will no doubt see them at some stage. That's all.

makrhod, May 2, 2009 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    YES OF COURSE????? Why on earth would a submitter have to read anything other then the add page? In fact, where is the link to the editor guidelines from the add page? The only thing that is really seen by MOST submitters IS the add page... so really, that should be it.

When you post here on Digital Point did you read the Moderator guidelines? When you use Google to do a search did you read the employee handbook? My guess would be NO.... how is it fair or even logical to even suggest that "YES OF COURSE" would be a good answer when asked "webmasters are required to read the editing guidelines?"

Too high of standards for a directory where not even the staff have bothered reading the add page (and don't say they have, if that was the case, then TOPIX would never have had 10k++ deep links that do not, in any way shape or form, fit the guidelines).

Once again, from the add page...

The Open Directory team welcomes comments and feedback about the directory generally. Please let us know what you think, and how we can improve the service. Thanks!​

So, OK, it's not a LISTING service... then what kind of service is it?

Qryztufre, May 3, 2009 IP
  12. dan2008

dan2008 Member

Best Answers:
    im my opinion it is very difficult to submit to dmoz.maybe a mail confirmation from dmoz would be welcome.

dan2008, May 3, 2009 IP
  13. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Really? The instructions seem to be comprehensive and logical enough, and many hundreds of thousands of people have managed to suggest their sites already. ;)
    Whether or not their suggestion is reviewed and listed by a volunteer is another matter entirely, and the outcome depends on a number of factors which you can read in many other threads here. The main fact is that
    Sound familiar?

makrhod, May 3, 2009 IP
  14. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Hooray! Finally he gets it. :D Please tell your friends!!
    It is a service to the internet community, providing a collection of sites which have been reviewed and categorised by human volunteers in accordance with publicly available guidelines.
    Or, to quote from those guidelines which seem to be so difficult for some people to find and read:
    How much more clear can it be?

makrhod, May 3, 2009 IP
  15. dan2008

dan2008 Member

Best Answers:
    I think there are many sites waiting for review, and I respect the work of volunteers,but still a mail confirmation from dmoz would be welcome.

dan2008, May 4, 2009 IP
  16. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    They are not "waiting". There is no "queue". Editors are not required to spend any of their time looking at site suggestions.
    So I fail to see how could feedback help anyone. There are three possibilities:
    1. The site is not listable (which you can check for yourself). No need to wait to be told that.
    2. The site has not yet been reviewed by a volunteer. No point in telling you that, because nobody knows when that might change. Today, next month, next year, who knows?
    3. The site has been reviewed and listed. You can see that for yourself.

Volunteers' time is far better spent finding worthwhile sites and improving the directory than in telling people pointless information ("Your site has not yet been reviewed.") or what they can find out for themselves.
    As I say, these reasons and more can be read in the link I posted. Discussing it all again here seems rather redundant.

makrhod, May 4, 2009 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How do you know a site is not list able? With so many sites without any content and doorway pages listed, a "friendly" editor with right motivation can decide that the site is just another exception to the "guideline" which can be listed according to editor's discretion. ;):rolleyes:

gworld, May 4, 2009 IP
  18. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    It's really very simple. The editor reviews the site in line with the guidelines for selection, as I have already explained many times. If the site is one of those described as "Not to Include", then it is not listable.
    How is that difficult to understand?

makrhod, May 4, 2009 IP
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It seems you are the one who don't understand how DMOZ works. Guideline is only a guideline and not a rule book and an editor can decide to list a site even if it is against the guideline by making an exception as it has been explained many time by your frineds for justifying doorway pages with no content which are never the less profitable for some one. ;)

gworld, May 5, 2009 IP
  20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So you mean to say that the DMOZ "Suggest Listing Page" is just there to BS people entirely ? :rolleyes:

popotalk, May 7, 2009 IP