1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it hard to get your site listed in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Simply101, Jan 23, 2008.

1. orioncs

orioncs Peon

Best Answers:
    jimnoble, could you please tell whether mp3 downloads is an Unique content?

orioncs, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  2. attick

attick Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply. It helps, but only to a point. When you do a search on ODP and find Sears, Home Depot, etc., where is the uniqueness? Are there more than 1 retail site dedicated to childrens shoes, building supplies, toys, computers, the list is endless. Is ODP goal to provide information on one unique site for every catagory? Is there more than one volunteer edited directory?

attick, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are identical files also available elsewhere?
    Unlike some directories, we like to have several listings in each category :). Some have hundreds.
    Dunno. Others here can probably give you the answer.

jimnoble, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  4. attick

attick Peon

Best Answers:
    It helped to a point. When you do a search on ODP and you find sites such as Sears, Hime Depot, etc. Wha is unique about a home building supply center besides the name? Aren't 99% of retail sites unique in some way? Is ODP goal to provide one unique site for each catagory?

Ti me a directory such as ODP is a grouping of information. Some directories may specialize in a certain type of service, product, interest. Does ODP has a speciality? I can understand ODP eliminating sites like you described. To some they may have some value, as do infomercial I guess.

Is more time spent by an editor reviewing a suggested site or reviewing the directory of existing sites to determine the uniqueness of the suggested site? Dkes an editor review a site to determine onformational value, ease of site navigation, quality, content, or do they review a site to make sure that if it is a childrens shoe site it has at least one more or less style of shoe than any other site.

Is there more than one directory with colunteer editors> Who determine that one more site on a given catagory is one too many?

attick, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  5. attick

attick Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry about that....forgot I had already posted a reply.

attick, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  6. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Everyone hates it when I say this, but...I submitted to DMOZ when I first started this particular blog, and was accepted very quickly.
    This was before I even knew any of the "hub-bub" on how difficult it was, and all the things that I read from others about the directory.
    Back then, my blog was new, the design was kinda crappy, and I didn't have any Page Rank.

I don't know why it was so easy for me, but I think my ignorance to all the BS about them helped me, and also, it is not a heavily written about niche.

hmansfield, Feb 9, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre and shadow575 like this.
  7. promomanagers

promomanagers Peon

Best Answers:
    I think blogs in general seem to be edited faster which is great. Some categories are definately edited faster than others. Overall though rejected I am impressed with the speed at which I was rejected which tells me the editorial side of the operation is operating efficiently.

I tried to point out the fact that in surveying the categories we were trying to get listed in there was almost no unique content. In fact a huge percentge of the sites were mere frames for existing industry portals. That really did surprise me based on all the warnings about unique content.

The other thing I noticed was the large number of sites with zero-2 page rank that had actual listings which makes me wonder how much it really does help deep into the directory.

promomanagers, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  8. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Uniqueness can be that a different company is involved. So long as the sites are not mirrors, so any builders sites that comply with guidelines are likely to be listed, but a builder with three sites one for walls, one for paths and one for drives will not be listed three times.

Style and ease of navigation will not enter, unless it is just not navigable at all. Quality is in uniqueness and in some categories we hope that knowledgeable editors will bring the important sites in that field, but also the smaller sites too!

Anonymously, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  9. attick

attick Peon

Best Answers:
    Anon. Thank you. That was a very helpful reply and I appreciate it.

While I was shoveling this stinking snow today, I thought of something. Why couldn't DMOZ have a list of submitted sites and thier status. At least then we could see if the site was still in the q or not.

NO...I didn't slip and hit my head.

attick, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  10. webmasterplace

webmasterplace Peon

Best Answers:
    After 2 years I'm still not added :(
    Maybe I'm rejected then ...

webmasterplace, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  11. budalata

budalata Peon

Best Answers:
    budalata, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Careful linking to RZ, Anonymously is a real stickler about people putting a disclaimer up saying that is not an official source... even if you are linking up to editors and the like *boggle* And while you linked up to the submit page, disclaimers are also needed for linking to the guidelines that state they do not need to be followed as they are shakey, and that the only real requirement is unique content.

Sorry about that, just don't want to see you spreading false or misleading information, like I seemingly do when I point to either source :rolleyes:
    Q

Qryztufre, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  13. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Bout time you learned to read, Q. Once again a master of smoke and mirrors, but sadly in the smoke you once again fell down the hole that said I distinguished between official and good tips, seems to me my editor friend said "good advice" and you manged to read that as official. Can I just point out what your teachers at school should have done, you spell "good advice" just like that and "official" just like that. Now how come you are so retarded you read one as the other?

Anonymously, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    When you pointed out I was wrong I said neither "good advice" or "official" and neither did you when you linked to the same thing. You'll also have to keep in mind that when an editor 'advises' that people tend to take that as a bit more official then someone that is not an editor. Regardless of what your signature may say you ARE a spokesmen for the directory.

So, if this is your definition of retarded, then YAY 4 U I hope that you enjoy crossing the line from being a troll to being a flaming troll. Name calling certainly becomes someone of your Christian background. Now call your mother and tell her what you did, maybe she will share it with your congregation.

Now have a nice day Revr, and I hope you truly enjoy your double standards.
    Q

Qryztufre, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So my question about unique. If there is a site that belongs to a category and the first unique business establishment in a country. Will it be listed in what time frame ? Please no if and when an editor has....:eek: I know about it.

Wow ! Just realized someones name in red and title as Banned. :D

popotalk, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  16. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    So popo, you're asking whether, if a site is listable, how long does it take to get reviewed by a volunteer editor?

Alucard, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  17. digitalextrememediagroup

digitalextrememediagroup Peon

Best Answers:
    "Why couldn't DMOZ have a list of submitted sites and thier status." I think thats a great idea. I really want to get into that directory.

18. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Editors use many different resources to find worthwhile sites, and suggestions made by other people are nothing more than one resource that volunteers can use if and when they choose.

So there would be no point at all in providing "status" reports which would almost always consist of "awaiting review by an editor, but we don't know who or when that will be". That provides no helpful information at all to the webmaster, so why would anyone want that?

On the other hand, if a suggestion has been reviewed, it might be listed (which everyone can see for themselves), or it might be found to be unlistable (which everyone can see for themselves as well). Again, what's the point of giving a report when this provides no information that can't be seen already?

makrhod, Apr 27, 2009 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    That is actually helpful information! Helpful to both the editor and the webmaster. It tells the webmaster that the site has not been reviewed yet and that they should likely wait it out just like everyone else rather then resubmitting and hoping to get lucky. It helps the editors out by clearing up some of the negative vibes that flow so freely over the net about how horrible the ODP is because they don't care two licks about anything other then their own sites. Seriously... if the site is in review and it's clear that it's still just sitting in the queue, it'll stop many of the folks who go around saying "I've submitted my site and it was rejected" ~ If there was a way to check, there would be a way to check ;)

As it stands, DMOZ SUCKS ;) :p because they rejected my site I submitted 5 years ago *smirk*

Qryztufre, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  20. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Er, that's right. "Waiting it out" is precisely what they should do in any case.
    So exactly how does repeatedly telling them that help anyone?

No I'm afraid it does no such thing. For many years, status reports like that were given at Resource Zone, and it didn't stop people complaining and accusing editors of all sorts of calumnies. Hence, it was a complete waste of editors' time. Hence it was stopped.

I have already given the only useful answer: if the suggestion is listable but not yet listed, then it is awaiting review. How much more simple can it be than that?

makrhod, Apr 29, 2009 IP