1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it Good Idea to Start New Search Engine?

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by cm2010, Jan 15, 2015.

1) Is it good idea to start new search engine?
    2) General or niche search engine?
    3) How much investment needed?
    4) Is there any good script for crawler / spider search engine?
    5) Should anyone buy search engine script or create based on own idea with help of programmer?
    6) How big server needed and how much cost monthly?

Please kindly provide your suggestion and ideas.
    Thanks

cm2010, Jan 15, 2015 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Probably not the greatest idea. Why would someone use your search engine over Google?

digitalpoint, Jan 15, 2015 IP
  3. FPForum

FPForum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'd have to agree. Don't think it's really worth starting a new search engine. Everyone uses Google/Yahoo/Bing and the investment needed to compete with those guys is pretty steep. I wouldn't even know where to start, lol.

FPForum, Jan 15, 2015 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    No, not unless you have a new twist on search that will differentiate you from Google and Bing and deliver better results
    General - I want one tool that will do everything, I don't want to think about the type of search engine that is the best match for my query and I imagine everyone else will feel the same.
    A million will probably get used up pretty quickly.
    You need to start with your own systems to ensure you have performance, scalability and security.
    You'll need a team of programmers working on different aspects of the project as well as a marketing team to ensure everyone knows about your search engine
    You'll need a bank of servers and expect to have them located on each continent so that you can build in redundancy, optimise performance etc. You'll probably have a team of admins looking after them.

sarahk, Jan 15, 2015 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  5. Mrtvac

Mrtvac Member

Best Answers:
    You need to answer only one question if you want to start new search engine. Like @digitalpoint point up, why would someone use your search engine and not Google/Bing/Yandex? Better search results (more accurate)? Better privacy (duckduckgo.com)? Some new invention?

There were couple of tries lately, like Blekko (blekko.com), Volunia (volunia.com) but they never take some significant market share or they even close business.

So, my answer would be, no it's not good idea. Except you really have some new invention to share.

Mrtvac, Jan 17, 2015 IP
  6. cm2010

cm2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your suggestion. We will post soon to provide more detail.

cm2010, Jan 23, 2015 IP
  7. AffilaiteWaves

AffilaiteWaves Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    To OP ,you must launch your search engine (it must have some unique features).Google and Facebook were also built with time, they were not born strong.

I cannot answer your all questions but i know if you have idea ,you must work on it.

AffilaiteWaves, Jan 24, 2015 IP
  8. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Shawn pointed out, why would anyone use something over google?
    Years ago I read a paper on how google started, and what motivated those guys, and moreover what made them so popular. You must read it too. I think it was titled "Anatomy of a Search Engine".

Good luck with the project!

JEET, Jan 24, 2015 IP
  9. King-Servers

King-Servers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's not a great idea to start a search engine when the giants (Google) is already leading, however you can make a different search tool focusing on a niche.

King-Servers, Jan 24, 2015 IP
  10. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The only search engines I would ever consider to be of any use might be niches such as job, property (sale and rent), domain and site sales, and or other similar type of classified searches where the script scrapes the information from multiple sources. There might also be room for other niche search engines that focus on different languages / countries / regions.

Regarding "5) Should anyone buy search engine script or create based on own idea with help of programmer?"
    firstly, any business plan that relies on an off the shelf script is doomed to fail. Generally, if you can afford it, so can everyone else in the world. Taking a coder to create one that you can buy off the shelf is also a silly idea. It might be better to talk to a few developers about taking an off the shelf script, and paying to have it hardened, as well as completely customized with new UNIQUE features -> there has to be something that makes it unique apart from changing the site title and the site logo.

As for the costs, you simply cannot build a website and hope for the best. you need marketing money. If you were to attempt to create another google, you would need soo much money, that if you had that much money you would never need to work again, let alone want to risk it on a website.

matt_62, Jan 26, 2015 IP
  11. cm2010

cm2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We are planning for niche, anyone want to be partner with our business?

cm2010, Jan 26, 2015 IP
  12. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From the status of search engine competition today, starting a new search engine will be very tough due to the requirements that will cope up with the evolving industry. You will need to study on how search engine works and the behavior of the users as well as its new metrics on how to determine the positions of the websites in the search results.

KylieSweet, Jan 26, 2015 IP
  13. reynescabruner

reynescabruner Member

Best Answers:
    Agree! Creating a new search engine is definitely not possible because those 3 major search engines have been gone a long long way already. It's really hard for a competition.

reynescabruner, Jan 26, 2015 IP
  14. Dario McNut

Dario McNut Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you can have one but it needs a lot of work and maintenance.

Dario McNut, Jan 29, 2015 IP