1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it ever too early to start a Facebook or Twitter?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by jwarnimo, Jan 17, 2012.

I have a new article directory that I am marketing, and I would like to eventually help market the directory on Facebook and Twitter. However. I just feel like it might be a little premature. My site is still building it's article count and does not have that many viewers just yet, so I'm sure the social networks will not get any hits either. Would it turn viewers off to view a facebook with 0 likes? I understand you have to start somewhere, but is it worth waiting to build up more visitors on my site? Thanks!

jwarnimo, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  2. tjcreation

tjcreation Peon

Best Answers:
    I would think starting the pages now is fine, so long as you keep updating them. You can use the social networking sites to build traffic to the article directory and vice versa, using things like social media contests and other methods to get followers, likes, and viewers. You can't open those accounts and let them sit, though, because that will look bad. Empty social networking profiles won't do you any good. Make sure if you open a Twitter account that you have some feature to provide updates on (when new articles are added to your directory or something similar), otherwise it'll just look silly.

tjcreation, Jan 17, 2012 IP
    jwarnimo likes this.
  3. McCoyH

McCoyH Member

Best Answers:
    I think now would be fine. The sooner the better. I don't think seeing 0 Likes will turn them off, for all they know your directory has been around for years and your company just now decided to make social media pages.

McCoyH, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  4. meadhead

meadhead Peon

Best Answers:
    The sooner the better. I think Facebook will feed your site as much as your site will feed the facebook account. Twitter is a little trickier. You will need to tweet regularly. Possibly about the progress of your site?!?

meadhead, Jan 17, 2012 IP
    jwarnimo likes this.
  5. jwarnimo

jwarnimo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to start with a facebook page and go from there, as I am not nearly as familiar with Twitter and like you said meadhead it is a bit tricker. I like the ideas for posting the status of my site and updates on new articles. Do you think one post a day is adequate? Would more be too annoying?

jwarnimo, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  6. legendvpn

legendvpn Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to admit that the Likes on a page affects how I view such. However I have to agree with tjcreation that it's fine as long as you keep it updated and interesting. That way, your FB page might just be one to attract traffic to your website. ;)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

legendvpn, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  7. boushy

boushy Active Member

Best Answers:
    its actually the right time to go with fb and twitter.These social media platforms will infact help you attract a lot of traffic.Best of luck dude.regards

boushy, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  8. smileverse

smileverse Peon

Best Answers:
    Search Engine Optimization is the basic thing and the first thing we need to do to make our web things popular. Once you have done the on-page seo then go with off-page seo (i.e. social media bookmarking, social media optimization via facebook, twitter etc).

smileverse, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  9. Sam Gilmore

Sam Gilmore Peon

Best Answers:
    Social Networks are so popular now that probably your website will become more populare BECAUSE OF them))) Good luck with your project!

Sam Gilmore, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  10. chinasa

chinasa Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not too early, you can join or start now and it will definitely help your site with a lot of traffic.

chinasa, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  11. cassiegetty

cassiegetty Peon

Best Answers:
    the earlier, the better :)

cassiegetty, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  12. Ella_Z.

Ella_Z. Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you need to have some stuff at your websites and what is the most important you should update that stuff regularly.

Ella_Z., Jan 18, 2012 IP
  13. Ilya

Ilya Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think that's a very good question that needs to be further explored. Do low Facebook Likes! attribute to low trust? I think so. But its a double edged sword, you need likes to gain trust. You need trust to gain likes.

Ilya, Jan 18, 2012 IP
    jwarnimo likes this.
  14. jwarnimo

jwarnimo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I already have a facebook setup and I plan on posting once a day about site development, incentives, and recent articles. Any other suggestions? I also plan on setting up a Twitter later this week, however I have never really used my personal Twitter so I am not nearly as familiar with it. Any techniques or ideas for that seem to be more effective on Twitter, than on Facebook? Thanks!

jwarnimo, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  15. meadhead

meadhead Peon

Best Answers:
    jwarnimo, twitter isn't trickier to use, it’s a very simple tool. What is tricky is updating it regularly enough with witty/interesting/useful tweets. As long as you keep tweeting people will find your site. One idea could be to tweet about your progress with advice about what you found useful, difficult or a waist of effort. And obviously new articles on the site.

meadhead, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  16. Ilya

Ilya Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is a new Chrome Extension out for twitter called Shareable Tweets >>> https://2FB.me

.. it adds a reaction bar to tweets and makes them shareable on Facebook by anyone!

Ilya, Oct 10, 2018 IP
  17. MatBerrows

MatBerrows Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think it's never too late, especially if you have any ideas how to make it visible and attract more attentions.

MatBerrows, Oct 11, 2018 IP
  18. Konnock

Konnock Member

Best Answers:
    Social networks now do a great job for promotion. It doesn't matter that the pages will be new - everyone were starting like that.
    So it can't be late. Good luck!

Konnock, Oct 12, 2018 IP