1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it better to register an old domain name or a new one?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by ~Bored~, Feb 29, 2016.

I find myself trying to buy another domain name, but should I register a domain that was registered in 1999 and expired in 2008 or should I register a fresh domain? Will it rank better if I buy the old domain or the new one? What do you guys think?

~Bored~, Feb 29, 2016 IP
  2. andyle

andyle Member

Best Answers:
    order the old domain is better than new. because google like the age of domain.

andyle, Mar 1, 2016 IP
  3. Michael_Hendsbee

Michael_Hendsbee Peon

Best Answers:
    If the site goes down, the age gets reset.
    I still say old, but for a different reason. All good domains are already taken.

And you don't want one of the new TLD like .clothing because from an SEO perspective they are they are dead weight dragging you down.
    The exception to this is if you are going for a slow burn, holistic approach to your SEO where you build a blog readership--building traffic instead of link farming.
    In which case something snazzy like .ninja would be good.

Michael_Hendsbee, Mar 2, 2016 IP
  4. Mearning

Mearning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think old domain is good but check before buy full domain history like google penalty, spam activity and web archives.
    Thanks

Mearning, Mar 7, 2016 IP
  5. danilo.ch

danilo.ch Peon

Best Answers:
    old domains is good but only if not in past banned by google, here http://www.domsit.com/1/?date=all&order=ftr you can find expired and old domains

danilo.ch, Apr 18, 2016 IP
  6. Renat Suleymanov

Renat Suleymanov Member

Best Answers:
    The old domain is better, but double-check the SEO metrics on SeoMoz etc.

Renat Suleymanov, Apr 19, 2016 IP
  7. Brucode

Brucode Member

Best Answers:
    Domain age is seriously mattered, Google like the old age domain. Exact match domain is most valuable, So when you are going to purchase domain check all parameters like DA, PA, backlinks etc.

Brucode, Apr 19, 2016 IP
  8. akash yadav

akash yadav Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you want to invest in new domains then only invest in two word .com domains, They are the safest investment as compared to other new registerations

akash yadav, Apr 19, 2016 IP
  9. WebmasterPhil

WebmasterPhil Member

Best Answers:
    old domain name has some value but it's only good if your brand fits the domain name.

WebmasterPhil, Apr 24, 2016 IP
  10. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that you should focus on the name which is best suited to you and your business brand. IF one domain, is easier to remember, easier to spell, and more brandable, then take that one.

Old domains can have problems. I say this as some domains that were blacklisted from google, have been dropped and re-registered by others, only for the new owner to find out that the domain is worthless. Its an unfortunate risk that we take.

matt_62, May 2, 2016 IP
  11. Artisan

Artisan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The old domain name may have the
    old incoming links with some visitors.

You should register the domain name,
    which is suitable for your project.

Artisan, May 3, 2016 IP
  12. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where are you getting this old domain and does it suit to your business or niche ? Buying old domains is not easy, many show you, that its a good buy, but there are lots of things to consider an research.

You should check what was that domain used for. What content was posted and was it spammed or penalised at any point by the search engines. Some sellers just keep such domains for a year or two and then try to sell to get a good deal, so be careful..

China_girl, May 10, 2016 IP
  13. JudySlean

JudySlean Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you have a good traffic and your own audience with connecting with your old name, then save it! If you want to change your audience and maybe your minds, it can be a new name!

JudySlean, May 10, 2016 IP
  14. Paul Martin Luther

Paul Martin Luther Member

Best Answers:
    Both have its pros and cons.
    Having said that, I would recommend to buy both new and old, expired ones.
    Never under estimate old expired domain names.
    In this age of marketing, we should diversify web presence in new domain names and old domain names. It is a choice to direct all traffic to one ultimate, memorable, branded site.

Paul Martin Luther, May 23, 2016 IP
  15. rsfkii

rsfkii Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer catching quality expired/dropped domains, then to register a new one.

There's only been a few times that I have bought a brand new unused domain to use for one of my projects.

The dropped domains also give me good branding ideas as well, but it really depends on what you're using the domain for.

rsfkii, May 23, 2016 IP
  16. Gareth Croot

Gareth Croot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ive found searching old domains easier than trying to think up a new domain that isnt already taken. I normally end up buy one of 2 more than planned if i see something that sparks an idea ill but it up for a later project. the fact that its already established means if you park it you can still get some revenue from it also

Gareth Croot, May 23, 2016 IP
  17. anthony scoble

anthony scoble Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yes, Google does consider domain age seriously . Make sure your old domain do not hit by google penalty, spam activity, and web archives.Older the domain is, more domain trust value it will have. The main reason for selecting old age of domain is that there are fewer chances that the domain name is used by spammers, as Spammers keep on changing their blogs often.

anthony scoble, May 30, 2016 IP
  18. HostWinds_Jesse

HostWinds_Jesse Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone pretty much says it right. Old domain names are great. However if the previous owner(s) used the domain for spam or anything that would be considered annoying to seo than stay clear of it. I would advise you research domain history of each domain you buy before hand just to make sure your safe. Suppose you bought the domain and didn't do any research and it turned out that they used that domain for spamming. All of their spam links are spread throughout the internet and you now own it lol

HostWinds_Jesse, May 30, 2016 IP
  19. Mohseena Siddiqui

Mohseena Siddiqui Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello, According to me you should restore your old domain instead of buying the new one. as one of the member here previously said that google rank the website on the basis of its age. So ultimately it would help you gaining the ranking and can easily achieve the popularity in the google's eye. There are certain sites offering affordable restoration prices..I could name one Go-hosting.in. Thank you. Hope my words made sense.

Mohseena Siddiqui, Jun 1, 2016 IP
  20. myforever

myforever Member

Best Answers:
    it depends, if your domain name is kind of special, new domain could also be better.

myforever, Jun 16, 2016 IP