1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it a sitemap error?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by markov, Oct 28, 2008.

Hello All!

Recently due to a problem in "Google (XML) Sitemaps Generator for WordPress plugin", my blog post is shown as

http://www.onlinedownloads.org//entertainment/download-full-movies-for-free-plus-new-movie-releases/ instead of

http://www.onlinedownloads.org/diar...full-movies-for-free-plus-new-movie-releases/

It shows that the category name is dropped. Due to this Google Webmaster Tools reported that there is an error ... as the urls were not found.

So I deactivated the plugin and manually edited the sitemap with the latest posts.

After resubmitting the sitemap to Google, it was shown that out of 474 urls submitted 461 are indexed.

But the main problem is if I see the url : http://www.onlinedownloads.org/diar...full-movies-for-free-plus-new-movie-releases/ in google search, instead of blog post with title ....the sitemap.xml is getting displayed.

Here's the link for your reference:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w-movie-releases/&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

I'm confused. Did I do anything wrong? Please help me.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
    Cher

markov, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  2. Optional

Optional Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a similar problem... where my xml sitemap was being returned for searches for the post titles, whilst the actual post was being sent to supplemantal results.

My problem was caused by me linking that XML sitemap in the sitewide footer and therefore pushing more link juice to that page than the actual articles.

It sounds like your temporary site error has resulted in a similar effect on your site.

I would not panic though... me simply unlinking that stemap a few days ago has already appeared to solve the problem with new posts... and I am sure that once the site is re-spidered/indexed/cached a couple more times, this effect will dissapear.

I would find a way to get your sitemap generator working properly again though... think you will need it accurate to help G clear out all the URLs with the /diary/ part missing.

If you no longer trust that plugin... i can recommend the xml-sitemaps.com standalone generator.. it works fine and can in no way affect your wordpress install.

Optional, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  3. markov

markov Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanx Optional for your suggestion. I've delinked to the sitemap.xml from the blog home page which I placed at the footer earlier.

As I've the backup copy, I've manually updated the sitemap.xml and deactivated the plugin.

Should I remove the sitemap.xml.gz (the old one which is not updated) file that is placed along with sitemap.xml file?

Should I purchase xml-sitemaps.com standalone generator or can I manually edit and upload the sitemap?

I think I've asked too many queries, but I certainly need the solutions for all of them. Thanx again.

markov, Oct 28, 2008 IP
  4. Optional

Optional Peon

Best Answers:
    yes you should remove it as it contains the old incorrect info. A .gz file is only needed on HUGE sites btw... it helps reduce the bandwidth load when it is downloaded a lot.

You don't need to purchase the standalone generator, the site offers a free service that will spider your site and create a new sitemap you can download and upload to your own server as often as your like.

BUT... the main reason I would buy the standalone one is that I don't want an outdated xml sitemap on my domain for even a day

Optional, Oct 29, 2008 IP