1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it a good idea to try making money offering free support (PHP/JS/WordPress/Drupal...)

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by nabil_kadimi, Jul 8, 2016.

Hi

After years of working as an independent contractor, I got tired of continuously looking for projects, so I thought, maybe I could spend my time and efforts in a more lucrative way. I mean, instead of spending time searching for clients, spend it writing useful content. So I came up with an idea, and I hope you guys will help me decide if I should give it a try.

The idea is to create a free service where people can contact me publicly (like in a forum) about issues they are having with their websites/apps/etc, something like what happens in the Progamming forums here in DP.
    - I will provide free support on the simpler issues
    - if someone requires my help for a complicated issue, probably where I need to access his server/website and dive into code an stuff, I will make our discussion private and try to sell him my service.

So earnings can be made from 2 channels:
    - Ads an affiliate links on the publicly accessible pages
    - Selling my services

So what do you think? Does it sound lucrative? Is it worth?

Thanks,
    Nabil

nabil_kadimi, Jul 8, 2016 IP
  2. MrPrinson

MrPrinson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    its sounds good to me, but somehow i think it will be a hard work for one man. how much traffic are you aiming for ?

MrPrinson, Jul 24, 2016 IP
    nabil_kadimi likes this.
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's what people do here. They answer threads in the discussion section to build their reputation and then offer services or respond to WTB threads in the Buy/Sell/Trade section.

sarahk, Jul 24, 2016 IP
    nabil_kadimi likes this.
  4. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    I though forums are for that purpose?? It is not a bad idea to have a specific website or blog and answer questions related to topics but Quora is doing that too, even Reddit is kind of doing it.
    And also you said offer this for free, how do you wanna sell it? you mean if something is too complicated then they contact you to get your services?

Mehdi.b, Jul 25, 2016 IP
  5. nabil_kadimi

nabil_kadimi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, exactly

nabil_kadimi, Jul 25, 2016 IP
  6. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    That might work, not sure if you are targeting properly though, the thing is when people are referring to a free service (consumer behaviour) to grab information and fix stuff, there is a chance they do not have the purchasing power you need to purchase your services and can easily replace you with another free service or information. Just make sure you're targeting the right people.

Mehdi.b, Jul 26, 2016 IP
    nabil_kadimi likes this.
  7. seoaceindia

seoaceindia Banned

Best Answers:
    simply your idea matched with this forum and currently this forum also on this way.

seoaceindia, Jul 26, 2016 IP
  8. nabil_kadimi

nabil_kadimi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, I'm not aiming for the social aspect of forums (lots of opinions, thanks and chit chat), it would be more like free support by me and maybe a few other paid members, and paid support when free is not adequate.

nabil_kadimi, Jul 27, 2016 IP