1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Hostgator VPS recommended for Ecommerce hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by flamingo2009, Aug 8, 2012.

We are planning to run our ecommerce store based on CS-Cart 3.0.2 on Hostgator VPS level 3. Is Hostgator VPS recommended for Ecommerce sites? I have heard a few issues about no. of concurrent connections allowed by Hostgator servers is only 25 which might be a bottleneck for high traffic surges.

Please post your suggestions on Hostgator VPS.

flamingo2009, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  2. HostColor

HostColor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, this hosting provider has been very successful for many years. It has recently been acquired from a investment fund and many folks expressed disappointment and fears about the quality of the service. I would not say anything about the company's service and would not say that the things would go bad if there is a new owner. I would say that you'd probably get a good service, but it is your decision.

My suggestion is to compare a few providers, to speak to their Sales or Support operators and to make a decision based on what you have been offered. it is very important to have a good communication with the service provider. When there is an issue, this helps a lot.

HostColor, Aug 9, 2012 IP
  3. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    I would make a short list of providers who have specialty e-commerce packages. If you are going to be running an e-commerce operation you may not want to be with a company like HG which may or may not undergo some changes due to the recent change of ownership. Once you have a short list post it on the forums and get some feedback from actual users of those hosting providers. It is also a good idea to call or use support numbers to ask questions that you may have before ordering an account. A bit of research can go a long way and save you a headache in the future.

JPC-Sabrina, Aug 9, 2012 IP
  4. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That number is for shared/reseller hosting. No VPS provider ever limits the number of concurrent connections...they can't. That said, if your VPS is using enough CPU to bog the entire node down, etc., they will take action, just like any provider would. A VPS is not a dedicated server, and should never be substituted for one. It's still sharing resources with others on the node, and accordingly, there are limits.

As the others have mentioned, not only do you have a recent change of ownership to EIG (look them up, they are known for running god-awful hosts) with HostGator, but they are also quite expensive for what you get. That said, they do have a lot of happy clients, at least for now, and I believe are fully-managed.

WSWD, Aug 9, 2012 IP
  5. Hostname.club

Hostname.club Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    HostGator is good, however I think you can find cheaper business hosting plan to host your website. SSL, Dedicated IP and experts who can help you manage site is still cheap :)

Hostname.club, Aug 9, 2012 IP
  6. zubizubi

zubizubi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it is definitely a good host.

zubizubi, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  7. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    do you mean up to 25 simultaneous clients (ips) or total connections per client?

atxsurf, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  8. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend you to jot down the names of few more vps hosting providers. Contact them and ask why you should sign up with them? What makes them different from others, to what level then can help you to troubleshoot the issues?

MilesWeb, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  9. HostDepot.Daniel

HostDepot.Daniel Member

Best Answers:
    Other customer's reviews of the hosting services. Same as any business, the hosting vendor should be able to provide good references.

HostDepot.Daniel, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  10. djacobs

djacobs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not entirely true, though not common, you can limit the number of connections and/or throttle bandwidth either at the router level, or on the node OS depending on the virtualization technology.

djacobs, Sep 9, 2012 IP
  11. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Right, but that isn't what the OP was talking about, and you can't limit concurrent connections to a specific VPS. Heck, you could turn the router off and limit connections entirely, but that wasn't the point. :D You could throttle the bandwidth for a specific VPS, but limiting connections in the sense he was referring, cannot happen.

WSWD, Sep 9, 2012 IP
  12. djacobs

djacobs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I misread the OP, I thought it sounded a bit odd.

djacobs, Sep 10, 2012 IP
  13. sem-profiteer

sem-profiteer Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've used HostGator VPS for a long time and recently I keep having to reboot the system. The support staff is quick to reply, but can't seem to fix the issue that is taking ALL of my sites down. Looking for suggestions for a new VPS with better up time.

sem-profiteer, Sep 12, 2012 IP
  14. Natcoweb.

Natcoweb. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are many companies which provide better VPS deals.
    Check out an offer section.

Natcoweb., Sep 14, 2012 IP
  15. sem-profiteer

sem-profiteer Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not just looking for a deal, UP TIME and Customer Service is VERY important.

sem-profiteer, Sep 14, 2012 IP
  16. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should check some reviews posted after the ownership change before you choose hostgator.

dumindushalika, Sep 14, 2012 IP
  17. mccomf

mccomf Active Member

Best Answers:
    HostGator provides consistently high uptime, and they offer 24/7/365 toll free support. In addition, they have Ticket System, Knowledge base, tutorials etc. Also they have an active forum which helps in fixing most normal issues. Support tickets are fast, often response will be made in less couple of hours.
    But so are many other hosts :)

mccomf, Sep 16, 2012 IP
  18. RobinInTexas

RobinInTexas Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, Hostgator is one of the best if you are looking for shared hosting.

Level 3 VPS gives you 768 mb, which might be a bit short for an active eCommerce site. Once you bump it above that level you might look at a dedicated server or VPS somewhere other than hostgator.

RobinInTexas, Sep 17, 2012 IP
  19. JoshDylan

JoshDylan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest using IntoVPS.com. They are reliable and affordable.

JoshDylan, Sep 17, 2012 IP