1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is .help TLD as good as .com?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by LiftFit, Apr 2, 2015.

Just wondering, I was going to launch a fitness blog and the .com domains that I was considering are mostly gone, however there are other TLDs available.

Is .help a new TLD? It seems like a good one.

Appreciate any feedback.

LiftFit, Apr 2, 2015 IP
  2. HMB Shiraz

HMB Shiraz Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is new. From what I can see from a quick Google search, .help was added in the last couple of years, if not more recently than that.

Only time will tell if it's a good TLD (recall the .info and .tk problems with spam). It's a $10 TLD so it seems that it isn't going to attract spammers, at least in the mass quantity that .info did at its introductory $1/yr pricing.

In my book, it's worth the gamble and seems promising :)

HMB Shiraz, Apr 2, 2015 IP
  3. steveb

steveb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    .help was released in 2014. Is it good? It's a matter of opinion. Some people don't like the new TLDs and some do.

You have to decide for yourself. Do you think .help will survive? What if the registry decides to shut it down because there isn't enough demand for the domain extension? What about customer perception of the new TLDs? There's already been studies that suggest consumers do not trust the new TLDs as much as the older gTLDs.

steveb, May 1, 2015 IP
  4. GreenLionNet

GreenLionNet Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No, you cannot compare .help with .com because .com is a commercial and the most popular TLD.

GreenLionNet, May 1, 2015 IP
  5. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can give someone a .net and some people will still type .com. Instructing someone to go to BLAH.help will only confuse the hell out of the majority of your visitors. It would confuse me at first!!!

NetStar, May 1, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  6. DarkMatrix

DarkMatrix Active Member

Best Answers:
    .COM is the KING

DarkMatrix, May 1, 2015 IP
  7. Nick PPC.BUZZ

Nick PPC.BUZZ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Nothing is as good as .com. It is the first extension which comes in mind and the first which people enter in the browser address bar.

Nick PPC.BUZZ, May 2, 2015 IP
  8. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it would just be a personal blog with no commercial use then you can try practically any new TLD you wish to experiment on (operating with the clear idea that you might be losing traffic due to some people confusing the domain extension). As you observed the new TLDs still have plenty of interesting domains available and are prone to combinations. That being said I'd say that for your particular project .help doesn't sound quite right. As a user I'd think that .help associates with the purpose of .info websites - mostly informational pages. While you'd certainly have such articles on your blog its...well... your blog ;)

Not such a fan of the big TLDs, I think a lot of money have already been wasted there. If you can't find a suitable .com I'd advice checking alternatives in .net or a ccTLD if your audience is local.

Rado_ch, May 2, 2015 IP