1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Google Local Really a Pilot Datamine?

Discussion in 'Google' started by spidermonkey, Apr 6, 2004.

A horrible thought occurred to me that collecting address/location data could provide Google with extra information regarding sites with duplicate material that aren't linked. I personally am considering setting up a version of a site that is at a completely different address, that is completely optimised for Google and does no linking or directing to the site optimised for all the others. In the UK and Europe comercial sites are obliged to give full contact details including address. If Google cross-refers domains with found addresses and found very similar sites associated with the same company and address, it will have discovered duplication without ever looking at a link - just its own data.

It's not an issue here at the moment, but I am seriously considering using address tags on the Google optimised site and using an image of the address on the other site - just in case.

Am I being Paranoid - having heard one too many conspiracy theories?

spidermonkey, Apr 6, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There are rumors of Google using whois data for domains (for example to see if a domain was expired, then renewed by someone else).

They could just as easily get address data via whois as well if they were doing it.

I don't think it's a bad thing to do personally... Google is trying to return the most relevant results to the user, and if they can determine some off-page things (like who owns the domain) to help with that, I think it would be a good thing.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 6, 2004 IP
  3. spidermonkey

spidermonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're using a strategy so devious that you don't want to be seen doing it, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Freedom of information cuts both ways I guess.

Many thanks

spidermonkey, Apr 6, 2004 IP
  4. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:

Businesses keep secrets all the time. No point in tipping the competition off if you don't have to.

GuyFromChicago, Apr 6, 2004 IP