1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Google getting serious about shopping?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by expat, Dec 7, 2004.

Big G registered some interesting domains lately:

GoogleShoppinglist.com Googlewishlist.com GoogleReviews.com

With the release of Froogle UK and further countries in the pipline together with the maturing Froogle.com, this gives some good indication that G is now seriously thinking to tap into yet another luctrative area.

M

expat, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Can't remember where but they want to tie in real-time stock levels with AdWords so that if your store has too much stock it will trigger an ad automatically and for your set region to try and get rid of it. They say it's all about organising data on the net but in fact, it's all about presenting data in such a way that they can show ads next to it.

Most AdWords advertisiers sell something. Google makes a lot of money out af them so it's only logical they will look for new means to get the ads shown to millions.

T0PS3O, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  3. harver

harver Guest

Best Answers:
    I think sooner or later they will challenge the big players like Amazon. They already are a big company, and every company needs to grow. And there is no other area to grow...

harver, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  4. Tid

Tid Peon

Best Answers:
    Tid, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Yes, they can create their own monopoly... I hope MSN and Yahoo search products gain marketshare fast. Google becomes too powerful IMO.

T0PS3O, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  6. Chris Choi

Chris Choi Peon

Best Answers:
    This creates more room for advertisers via Adsense and Adwords :)

Chris Choi, Dec 11, 2004 IP
  7. onestop

onestop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is very possible, and you never know if a company uses the monopoly in a good way or bad way.
    e.g. eBay's abusing its monopoly position in auction market by stayin faaar away from CRM.
    It's funny sometimes, you learn a lot of stuff at school, and they never work in real life :)

onestop, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  8. Refrozen

Refrozen Peon

Best Answers:
    Can someone explain how the hell these people discover the domaisn that Goog' has registered?

Refrozen, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  9. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    Google: WalMart of the internet! Actually, ebay has what you might call "competition," but it's not worth mentioning except to say that it is there. There is one called Bid a Lot, that I think is stationed in the UK that actually has a deal with paypal. I'm not sure how they worked that out. I was going to try to auction something there once, but when I went and looked closer I noticed that out of over 1000 things listed only a couple were getting any bids.

Google has competition, most people just don't remember it. When I can't find something on google I still go back to alta vista and usually find what I want. Seems odd, but it works. The one thing google has going for it that most of the other's don't is TIME. You don't have to wait months to get crawled. You don't have to pay to get included in the place most people go to find stuff. Some of us don't have stacks of money laying around to spend on marketing just to sit around waiting for it to kick in. I need to sell. Now.

The thing about shopping is google has a lot more competition that it had to deal with in that arena, and froogle is not yet ready for prime time. I have 108 products listed on froogle. Actually, I have 124, even though my last feed only had 108. Some stuff was discontinued, and I changed the price on some stuff as well. Now, I have some items listed that are no longer in stock, and I have duplicates of others with two different prices. This is NOT helpful! Also, It picks up some of my images, and not others. It does it to other stores as well. Also not helpful. If it wasn't free I wouldn't waste my time with it. Still, it is google, and it is easy for people to go and check stuff out, and they don't have to sign up or anything. Now if they would just start sending me some traffic!

Nick

nfzgrld, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  10. ginostylz

ginostylz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe they are just trying to prevent other people from using thier trademarked name in their own domains. From class in Public Relations(yes the other PR) the proffessor said that large companies buy every keyword combination of their comapany to prevent other people from either infringing on their trademark, and from preventing hate sites using their name. example would be www.googledance.com or other people not affiliated with google yet would like to somehow use the name google to their advantage.

ginostylz, Dec 24, 2004 IP