1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Flippa A Complete Scam

Discussion in 'General Business' started by wonay, Apr 4, 2012.

I listed a website for sale few days ago on Flippa and found that there were no bids on it and very less views even after taking up a featured listing (cost me $50).

I felt something must be wrong since the website I was selling on Flippa was a Number 1 Ranked website for 3 popular keywords.

It was only recently that I did some research on Flippa and their founding members. I was utterly shocked to read how many people online have paid hundreds of dollars to list their websites for sale on Flippa and did not get any results.

I learned that most of the auctions are posted by Flippa themselves using "fake" IDs and then manipulating the bids till they got a real "noob" interested.

Then I spent the good part of the last hour reading up on some of the "many" scams and complaints against Flippa and their "sly" founder Matt.

Was intrigued by how these 2 guys have managed to evade investigation and arrest for these scams that they are running.

I was particularly interested in 1 complaint in which the Flippa member had requested Matt to post a few photos of their office location and interiors in Australia.

Not only did Matt and his "cheating" partner ignore this complaint totally but they still haven't posted any photos of their staff members at work in their "plush" office down under.

I am taking the initiative to report Flippa and Matt to a higher authority now since obviously the guys they are dealing with thus far are not able to do so.

I would be really interested to know if any of you have similar complaints or have been through such scams on Flippa.

I have currently listed another website on sale which does not seem to be selling either. It's a website that is in the top 10 on Google and Bing for few keywords including "random questions" and more.

Also, before you slam me down for this post please take the time to do some research on Google using keywords such as "flippa scams" or "flippa complaints" so you will know why I am so pissed right now.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    wonay, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  2. WebDev Solutions

WebDev Solutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, Flippa do not create fake auctions... they were originally under the Sitepoint name and they are very highly rated.

I myself have sold several high value websites on Flippa in the last 5 years, so too have many of my colleagues and friends. The general rule of thumb is simple- if you have a quality website with revenue and traffic proof, coupled with a half decent sales pitch, then Flippa is the best place to list your website for sale on the internet today. The fees they charge are pretty reasonable, too.

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  3. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    that's weird. I've noticed that most of the flippa sites are just auto-blog, made a minute ago from dropped domain scams.

Laceygirl, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  4. affkb99

affkb99 Member

Best Answers:
    I've had very few successes with flippa. I don't want to be negative but I placed more money into flippa then gained from it. They charge to list an auction that probably won't get much views except for the first and last few hours. You have to still promote your listing through either social media or another marketing method. You can also pay for upgrades but the upgrades are very expensive in my eyes. Just to get notice on their website you have to pay them. I got fed up after a while of having auctions get little to no views and canceled my account with them. If you have the right type of website to sell (lots of revenue and traffic) Flippa is great. You can invest in upgrades because most likely someone will buy your site. If you don't have a site like that then you need views on your listings outside of Flippa or pay for upgrades to get maximum exposure. This is just from my experiences from Flippa, which have been mostly negative. I'm not sure if Flippa is a scam but their fees are ridiculous.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    affkb99, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  5. LindaShopper

LindaShopper Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think your explanation is wrong. my friends have good relationship with flippa and can make 1k/month from this site

LindaShopper, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  6. wonay

wonay Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am just trying to make sense of this all. Flippa is being far too secretive about themselves on the one hand and on the other the founder is trying to refute claims which he shouldn't be concerned about if they weren't even remotely true.

Here is the reply from Matt to an earlier complaint filed against them.....

-------
    Matt Mickiewicz here, co-founder of Flippa.

I just want to refute these false and baseless allegations against us. Flippa does not list websites for sale ourselves, we do not bid on websites, and we don't have any fake IDs or accounts creating activity in our marketplace.

Information on Flippa shareholders is freely available on the Web, the two main shareholders are myself, and Mark Harbottle, who was just named the Australian Entrepreneur of the Year, and featured on the cover of BRW Magazine - which is the equivalent to Forbes or Fortune in the Australian market.

Personally, I've been in Forbes Magazine on the 30 under 30 list, in INC Magazine on the 30 under 30 list, and have written for and been interviewed by the biggest business publications in North America. One of our other businesses, 99designs, was funded to the tune of $35 million by Accel Venture Partners (the investors behind Facebook, Groupon, DropBox).

We've certainly got nothing to hide - while we don't offer a "sales guarantee" on Flippa, I'd be happy to refund you the cost of your listing once you withdraw & remove all the false accusations against us.

Feel free to call me in Vancouver, Canada - 604 716 4638

Our main head quarters are in Melbourne Australia, drop by for a visit and we'll buy you lunch:

48 Cambridge St
    Colilngwood, Victoria, Australia

99designs, my other company, also has two offices spaces in San Francisco where we can meet up if you ever want to get together.
    ------------

From the above reply it seems like Matt is a genuinely nice guy who is making millions, and is still under 30. So, that's quite an achievement.

However, I still find it amusing why there are so many complaints against them and so many scams done on their website which they turn a complete blind eye on.

Perhaps Matt would be kind enough to open up about this critical issue with us rather than focus on something which he shouldn't be bothered about (if it wasn't true).

wonay, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  7. Sornie Samante

Sornie Samante Active Member

Best Answers:
    They are legit. Its just that, they are doing business too. Sometimes, we get to spend much money before we get the return, and more often, not a good ROI at all.

Sornie Samante, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  8. thesickearth

thesickearth Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wonay, you just want too much money for your crap.

thesickearth, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  9. WebDev Solutions

Best Answers:
    Correct. That's why so many sellers become disappointed with Flippa... - IF you have a quality website worth buying then Flippa is the only place to list.

Take it from somebody who knows.

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  10. XooX

XooX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have used DP's Buy/Sell forum quite a few times to sell websites and have never had a problem with the bids nor transactions. Would recommend this over Flippa any day.

XooX, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  11. FikseGTS

FikseGTS Peon

Best Answers:
    I think flippa has a real issue with shill bidding and their setup of extending the auction for 4 hours at the end of the auction if a bid is placed is ridiculous...

FikseGTS, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  12. Torontoairport

Torontoairport Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry........

Torontoairport, Apr 6, 2012 IP
  13. WebDev Solutions

Best Answers:
    Why on earth is the 4 hour extension ridiculous? Consider worldwide timezones- do you suggest that you may need to be awake at 3 or 4am in the morning depending on when an auction finishes? Not to mention the fact that it inevitably leads to a higher sale price. 99% of buyers and sellers on Flippa that you ask would say they are a huge fan of the 4 hour system.

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Apr 6, 2012 IP
  14. WilliamFPS

WilliamFPS Peon

Best Answers:
    I have purchased a site of Flippa, not really had that many problems. The only problem I could say was that the person I was buying it off undelivered on some of his promises, but most of what he said was true.

WilliamFPS, Apr 6, 2012 IP
  15. Info Rama

Info Rama Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have yet to list a website on flippa but i was about to. I'm so glad i found this thread first because I'm thinking twice now.

Info Rama, Apr 6, 2012 IP
  16. jixels

jixels Peon

Best Answers:
    Flippa itself is NOT a scam. However, some of the sellers may be scammers.

jixels, Apr 7, 2012 IP
  17. tiffanywilliams12i2

tiffanywilliams12i2 Peon

Best Answers:
    people will hype their sites up

tiffanywilliams12i2, Apr 7, 2012 IP
  18. dienhoaviet

dienhoaviet Peon

Best Answers:
    I also see quite a reputation flippa

dienhoaviet, Apr 7, 2012 IP
  19. dudeseo

dudeseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    flippa is not scam, its members scams.

dudeseo, Apr 7, 2012 IP
  20. WeCreateCash

WeCreateCash Member

Best Answers:
    I was upset when bidding on an auction and was the high bidder and the 4 hour extension kicked in. I asked about it and they said it's there so people can't come in last minute and ninja the site for a cheap price. So I can see why site sellers like that option like you said :). I like doing business there so I'd say it's not a scam but you have to watch some of the members.

WeCreateCash, Apr 8, 2012 IP